Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryP inspired an idea for a GMtB variant. Each player starts with a random object card in front of them. Of course, it would be totally unbalanced and unfair.

Another option would be to deal out all the object cards at the beginning. Each player chooses one of the objects they are given to start the game, then the rest are shuffled back into the deck.

And yet another option would be to include other "put this card in front of you" cards, like "A cunning plan..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hoskins
United States
OKC
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea.

I don't know that option A would be unbalanced or unfair. To paraphrase the rules "You may not get a turn. You probably weren't meant to win anyway."

There are a couple cards that swap objects and/or get rid of them completely. Objects are usually very usefull, but aren't neccesarily game breakers.

Dealing all the objects out and letting players pick an object would be fine. However, I'd preffer to deal two or three objects to everyone and let them pick one( particularly if you have a small number of players)

Thanks for posting these variant ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
matthewjhoskins wrote:

I don't know that option A would be unbalanced or unfair. To paraphrase the rules "You may not get a turn. You probably weren't meant to win anyway."

Of course it would be unfair. Someone could start with the mop, while an opponent has a third hand. It would be more to the point to say that it doesn't really matter. Also, the player who got screwed would have bragging rights if they managed to take the game.

matthewjhoskins wrote:

Dealing all the objects out and letting players pick an object would be fine. However, I'd preffer to deal two or three objects to everyone and let them pick one( particularly if you have a small number of players)

That sounds good, too. I think players should get at least three choices, in case they get the mop and blindfold. Or maybe you could just exclude those two from the process.

matthewjhoskins wrote:

Thanks for posting these variant ideas.

You're welcome! zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's certainly an interesting idea, but I'm not sure I'd like the imbalance of it.

Although, I might be tempted to try it with my expansions, as there are more Objects available -- making it more likely that each player will get a "useful" Object. I'd also consider this a viable variant with my "Character" cards, where each player chooses and plays a character before the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this out for one game today and it was pretty sweet! We just gave each player one random object. We had five players and it ended up being the dog and rat brains, the blindfold, the extra hand and the mop. On top of that nastiness, the brains were positioned next to each other so the two players would be passing them to each other.

It got interesting when I used a brain (the pass left one) to play mission creep, snagging myself both the animal brains! I thought I was so clever, until someone played health inspection, flushing everything. In the end, the player who won had started with the mop!

It wasn't perfect. The player with the blindfold was pretty grouchy. It's worse than the mop in the early game. Still, if she had won it would have just made the bragging rights all the sweeter!

GMtB is already very chaotic, and starting hands can be grossly asymetrical. So if that's what you like about the game, I say give this a shot, and turn up the madness!zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.