Popular Tags: AWAW [+] AWorldatWar [+] [View All]
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
My role model for his brains, calm demeanour and appetite for snacks!
mbmbmbmbmb
After completing my solo introductory session of the Global War campaign, I came to know four fellow gamers who were interested in playing out this monster with me and my brother-in-law.

This report is part of a longer series of session reports about what transpires during the game. While I write these reports from Japan’s perspective, I try not to give too much away since this game is still in progress and my opponents are regular BGG members who read these forums often.

Players:

Jamie – Russia/Communist China
Boon – Britain
Ian & Jasmine – US/France/Nationalist China

Nigel – European Axis
Gary – Japan

Links:

Part 1: Six Newbies at War – Part 1
Part 2: Six Newbies at War – Part 2
Part 3: Six Newbies at War – Part 3
Part 4: Six Newbies at War – Part 4
Part 5: Six Newbies at War – Part 5
Part 6: Six Newbies at War – Part 6
Part 7: Six Newbies at War – Part 7
Part 8: Six Newbies at War – Part 8
Part 9: Six Newbies at War – Part 9
Part 10: Six Newbies at War – Part 10
Part 11: Six Newbies at War – Part 11
Part 13: Six Newbies at War – Part 13
Part 14: Six Newbies at War – Part 14
Part 15: Six Newbies at War – Part 15
Part 16: Six Newbies at War – Part 16
Part 17: Six Newbies at War – Part 17
Part 18: Six Newbies at War – Part 18
Part 19: Six Newbies at War – Part 19
Part 20: Six Newbies at War – Part 20
Part 21: Six Newbies at War – Part 21 (end)

==================================================================================

Spring 1942 (Axis):

STARTING RESOURCES:

Nation BRP DP RP Oil
European Axis (Germany) 423 13 19 10
European Axis (Italy) 92 4 3 -
Western Allies (Britain) 147 3 8 1
Western Allies (USA) 586 9 26 Unlimited
Russia 373 7 16 6
Japan 240 - 10+1 8
China 20 - - -

EUROPEAN THEATER

The European Axis gains control over Spain’s hexes during the diplomatic roll, as General Franco stands in awe of Germany’s might. This is an unprecedented coup for the Axis, who now have access to Spain’s ports of La Coruna and Vigo, which gives them an additional +2 DRM for submarine warfare in the Atlantic Ocean SW box. The Finns, however, are not easily cowed by the Germans and remain neutral.

As they wait for the mud from the harsh winter season to thaw, the Germans send reinforcements to the Eastern Front and attrit the Russians to inflict a loss of four ground unit counters. The Rumanian army attempts to do the same, but do not succeed in inflicting any losses. The Italians continue to push the frontlines in North Africa with the intention of sweeping the Western Allies out of Algeria.

German U-boats clears the Atlantic and Indian Ocean SW boxes of Western Allied transports with 10/3 and 1/0 SW combat results respectively, threatening a complete disruption of oil supply from the U.S. to Britain and North Africa.

During the unit construction phase, Nigel produces and builds beach defenses along the coast of France. He also produces two German AAFs, one Italian and nine German infantry factors which are built out.

US-Axis tension (USAT) = 48 (actual of 46, with +2 modifier)

PACIFIC THEATER

I follow up on my seaborne invasion of the Philippines with an attack on Manila that is reinforced with six air support factors, and capture the capital city to secure South-East Asia. Colombo is taken, as the British naval forces in Calcutta fail to intercept the Japanese task force.

I attempt a diversionary attack on the Aleutian one-hex island of Adale with one DD carrying a sole infantry factor, but am thwarted by a U.S. naval task force that is stationed at Pearl Harbour as Ian plays a strategic Magic card to bring about an automatic interception. Two Imperial task forces take the island of Wake with no resistance (it looks like the Decisive Battle won’t be happening so soon), while a third task force stationed at Truk takes Port Moresby via seaborne invasion. I have mixed results from two smaller invasions – the invasion of Guadalcanal succeeds, but the invasion of the Gilbert Islands meets the same fate as the Adale invasion effort (and in exactly the same manner no less, with Ian once again playing a second strategic Magic card!).

In mainland China, I attrit the Communist China and Nationalist China forces for losses of one and four counters respectively.

In the post-combat segment of the turn, Guam and the Bismarck Islands fall under Japanese control via isolation since the following conditions are met:

RULE CALLOUT:
29.7 PACIFIC ISLAND GROUPS:
29.71 HEX CONTROL OF ISLAND GROUPS: The moving player gains control of all unoccupied enemy islands in a Pacific island group (4.74) at the end of the post-combat supply determination segment of his player turn without actually occupying them if:
A. At the end of his previous player turn, the moving player had at least one ground unit or uninverted air or naval unit on an island in the group and none of the other islands in the group was occupied by an enemy ground unit, air or naval unit, airbase, rocket base, bridgehead, railhead, port counter or fortification;
B. The opposing player did not successfully trace sea supply to any island in the island group during his player turn; and
C. No enemy ground unit or uninverted air or naval unit occupied any island in the island group during the opposing player turn.

The lone Japanese submarine in the Pacific Ocean SW box sinks two Western Allied transports, and damages a third.

I continue building the CVB Yatagarasu, and build out three AAF, two NAS and ten infantry factors that are added to Japan’s force pool from previous mobilizations.

Ending state of events:

European theater (continental Europe, Western Front)

European theater (continental Europe, Eastern Front)

European theater (Mediterranean and North Africa - West)

European theater (Mediterranean and North Africa - East)

Pacific theater (mainland China)

Pacific theater (Asia)

Pacific theater (South Pacific)

Pacific theater (Pacific)

==================================================================================

Links:

Part 1: Six Newbies at War – Part 1
Part 2: Six Newbies at War – Part 2
Part 3: Six Newbies at War – Part 3
Part 4: Six Newbies at War – Part 4
Part 5: Six Newbies at War – Part 5
Part 6: Six Newbies at War – Part 6
Part 7: Six Newbies at War – Part 7
Part 8: Six Newbies at War – Part 8
Part 9: Six Newbies at War – Part 9
Part 10: Six Newbies at War – Part 10
Part 11: Six Newbies at War – Part 11
Part 13: Six Newbies at War – Part 13
Part 14: Six Newbies at War – Part 14
Part 15: Six Newbies at War – Part 15
Part 16: Six Newbies at War – Part 16
Part 17: Six Newbies at War – Part 17
Part 18: Six Newbies at War – Part 18
Part 19: Six Newbies at War – Part 19
Part 20: Six Newbies at War – Part 20
Part 21: Six Newbies at War – Part 21 (end)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Added link to part 13

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Added link to part 14

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.