Prime Climb» Forums » Rules

Subject: First time play, had some questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Hedstrom
United States
California
flag msg tools
We just played Prime Climb for the first time and had a few questions.
(1) Since all dice action are applied to number your pieces occupy, we assume that Start is the number zero, so only addition is available on your first roll. We also assume that you can leave one pawn at Start and use both of your move actions on one pawn to get it away from the starting crowd.
(2) When division is used, we assumed that it must result in a whole number in order to be used. So you cannot use a roll of 3 into a piece at 26 for 8.6667 to round up and move to 9.
(3) Once one of your pawns has reached 101 and removed from the game, we assume that the remaining pawn that uses the results of both dice, is now taking one turn that has two parts, rather than two separate turn. So you can't use one die results to land on a red prime and draw a card, and then use the results of the second die to land on a opponent to bump them back to Start. We decided that your turn actually ended after applying the second die move, so in the example above you would not draw a Prime card, but would bump your opponent back to Start.

Hope you agree with our reasoning!

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
karlfmchicago wrote:
(1) Since all dice action are applied to number your pieces occupy, we assume that Start is the number zero, so only addition is available on your first roll. We also assume that you can leave one pawn at Start and use both of your move actions on one pawn to get it away from the starting crowd.

Both those seem reasonable. The rules include an example in which both dice are applied to a single pawn.
karlfmchicago wrote:
(2) When division is used, we assumed that it must result in a whole number in order to be used. So you cannot use a roll of 3 into a piece at 26 for 8.6667 to round up and move to 9.

That seems reasonable. Negative numbers and numbers greater than 101 are "off the board," and you cannot move to them. It makes sense to say the same for non-integral rational numbers.
karlfmchicago wrote:
(3) Once one of your pawns has reached 101 and removed from the game, we assume that the remaining pawn that uses the results of both dice, is now taking one turn that has two parts, rather than two separate turn.

That makes sense also - it always seems to be the case that you can use both dice for one pawn, regardless of whether one has reached 101.

I'm not sure about "one turn two parts" rather than "two turns." Each turn has four phases: roll-move-bump-draw. What really isn't clear from the rules is whether have (in general) a single move phase, or one per die (meaning four if you roll doubles).

karlfmchicago wrote:
So you can't use one die results to land on a red prime and draw a card, and then use the results of the second die to land on a opponent to bump them back to Start. We decided that your turn actually ended after applying the second die move, so in the example above you would not draw a Prime card, but would bump your opponent back to Start.

I think that the interactions between the move phase(s) and the late bump and draw phases is not as clear in the rules as it could be.

The sample video at http://mathforlove.com/prime-climb-rules/ shows opponents' pawns being bumped during the move phase. In particular, it shows the player moving one pawn, bumping an opponent, and then moving the other pawn (and bumping again).

That seems to make sense: pick a die, move a pawn, bump anyone who is there, and then repeat for each remaining die.

But that is at odds with the idea of separate move and bump phases. The rules for the bump phase say, "If you end your Move phase on the same space as another pawn, send that pawn back to start."

This sounds like, if you move a pawn twice in the move phase (with two dice), you do not bump any pawn on the intermediate space from which the second die moved the pawn.

Having completely separate move and bump phases also makes this aspect of bumping confusing: "This applies even if it is your own pawn."

If the bump phase applies entirely after the move phase (and not during it), does it matter which of your pawns got there first? Since the pawns are identical, I guess it doesn't. The rule might have read better saying, "if you ended your move phase with both of your pawns on the same space, move one back to start."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Hedstrom
United States
California
flag msg tools
Thank you Gillum for your reply. I was pretty sure about my first two questions, and glad that you agreed.

When I looked at rules example of the double 2s (using the results on one pawn for both dice) it mentions that "even though you passed through a spot where an opponent had a pawn, you do not bump it back to start, because you did not end your movement phase on 42 (location of the opponent pawn)".

So I agree with you that using the results of both die, whether your have one or two pawns left in the game, it is where your pawn ends its turn that matters for a possible bump or card draw. The landing spot after your first move, or first three moves with doubles would not result in bumps or drawn cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
karlfmchicago wrote:
When I looked at rules example of the double 2s (using the results on one pawn for both dice) it mentions that "even though you passed through a spot where an opponent had a pawn, you do not bump it back to start, because you did not end your movement phase on 42 (location of the opponent pawn)".

That is a good point.

I think that video showed an opponent's pawn being bumped before both pawns were moved mainly for dramatic effect. Technically, you should move both pawns (or move one pawn twice) before any bumping should happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Tischler
United Kingdom
Willingham
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for your clarification botu not bumping/taking a card mid-move. My copy just arrived today and I played it differently but may now change to your interpretation.

Here's another question. If you play both dice land on a prime and get a Roll again card, that roll will count as a second move, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Just wanted to chime in on this forum to say that your interpretations of the rules were correct. We tried to keep them as clear and error-free as we could, but we definitely have a few improvements to make in the second printing.

To answer the final question: the Roll Again card triggers a new move. So after you pick Roll Again and have a chance to roll and move and bump and draw, just like you would if you were starting a new turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.