Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
John Paul Sodusta
United States
Santa Barbara
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to have a light 2p wargame in my collection to lure players into the hobby. Right now, I think it's between Battle Cry and Memoir '44. Which one should I get?

Thank you for your time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Memoir 44. Still in print, expansions if you like the game, WWII is always popular, cards with terrain for base set makes teaching the game easy, game has better rules for movement and retreat flags.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's hard to find but if you want to lure people into playing I believe Battle cry is better. It's a bit simplier than Memoir. This is my own opinion that the use of the cards for left, center, and right seems more suited to civil war and ancients period than to a modern battlefield. I played one of Memoir's scenarios that didn't seems to account for a road network going through woods were armor was only able to go one hex and it didn't seen right to me. For WWII I would check out FFG's Iron Tide that is coming out or GMT's Combat Commander( a bit more complex). A lot would depend too on what time period you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on the type of players, are they into WW2, or the Civil War? They both have very simlar mechanics,but Battle Cry is the easier one out of the two, but not by much at all. Memoir 44 expansions add some rules,and variety, once you or the other players become regulars of Memoir 44, the expansions are no problem at all. SO WHY TAKE A CHANCE WITH JUST ONE! JUST BUY BOTH GAMES!YOU WILL PROBABLY LURE MORE PLAYER THAT WAY!INTO YOUR WEB OF DECEIT AND LIES !!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I would definately go with Memoir '44. Battle Cry is lacking in depth. Also, Memoir '44 is actually supported by their company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a civil war buff and Battle Cry is a great game but the clear choice I think is Memoir '44. Battle Cry under Hasbro's watch got no support and die on the vine. Meanwhile Days of Wonder has fully supported Memoir '44 with great expansions. Memoir also is in many ways a second edition of the game system. It simply flows better than it's predecessor in terms of card balance and a nice variety of scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Memoir '44 is in print and Battlecry isn't I think the sensible answer has got to be Memoir '44.

Having said that, I prefer Battle Cry. It's hard to pin point why exactly, as Memoir '44 is a more advanced and (probably) better system. I think it might be because Memoir '44, despite it's advances in rules over Battlecry, is still a pretty simple game and I look for a bit more realism in my World War II simulations. It might be due to the fact that I'm not so familiar with the history of the American Civil War that I'm more prepared to accept a simple game system for that theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I think either one works well at being a (very)light entry level war game. Memoir '44 has the advantage as others have noted of being better supported by it's producer... Days Of Wonder.

That being said... there are many scenarios on line that you can use with Battle Cry as well. I have both and have played Battle Cry more than Memoir '44 simply because I've owned it longer but I like both games and find them very similar in their overall complexity and feel in the gameplay.

I don't really find one game more or less difficult than the other. There are differences between the design and play of the two but that's more or less small design tweaks and differences to account for the 80 years difference in the time periods of the wars.

If pressed I might actually say you should get Battle Cry... It will likely never be back in print so if you can find a near new/shrink copy at a good price, I'd say snap it up.

Small disadvantage of Battle Cry is if you get a shrink copy you need to take all the pieces off sprues and paste on the flags/dice markers. It's not a big deal but Memoir '44 comes ready to go right out of the box.

Days of Wonder gets high marks from everyone for quality of components but Battle Cry in my opinion is even better in component quality. Some of the M'44 pieces are a little bent and wonky whereas all of my Battle Cry pieces were and still are perfect. This issue isn't a big deal either though and not a dealbreaker for either game.

In the end it comes down to personal preference and whether you feel WW2 or the Civil War is more appealing.

One more option is the C&C:Ancients game... a bit more complex but also using similar gaming mechanisms based around an ancient warfare theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what about wizard kings? http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/692 its still in print and its blocky plus it supports more than 2 mind you on teh down side its fantasy so it would depend on your players

walker red eye

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Memoir '44 is still available. It is about WWII, a generally more popular period with non-wargamers. The game systems are similar, so from a purely gaming point of view there is little difference. There is plenty of support from the manufacturer.

Battle Cry is available through the BGG Marketplace (7 copies in USA) and on ebay (only 1 copy right now). It is about the Civil War, probably the second most popular historical period with non-wargamers. The game system just feels better with Civil War period battles. There is lots of free support from the online community.

Personally, I prefer Battle Cry over Memoir '44. The whole feel of the game is important to me, and Memoir '44 just feels more like a game than a wargame. It is because I've played a lot of WWII games. Having everyone's units performing the same, especially the tanks, just feels wrong.

Don't overlook Command & Colors: Ancients. It is the same basic system. The system, with the tweaks that have been made for it, feels even better than the other two. It is being supported by GMT.

Finally, for people who like the basic system, but hate it when they can't get the right card to do what they want, you should look at Worthington Games Wars for America series. Clash for a Continent: Battles of the American Revolution and French & Indian War and For Honor and Glory: War of 1812 Land and Naval Battles. These two games use the same basic system for movement and combat, but use action points instead of the cards to determine who does what. You never have enough action points to do everything you want to do, but at least you can concentrate on the most important actions, just like real commanders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carl huber
England
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy Memoir 44, and haven't played Battle Cry for a long time. So unless Battle Cry is sitting on the shelf of a shop going cheap, I'd suggest Memoir 44. It's quick and fun and light. But I wouldn't really call it a wargame...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.