Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Everyone,

I think if you followed the discussions a bit around this game than you might have heard that there are some issues with the rulebook.

Luckely David Minken made some fantastic files to help you on your way ( files section ). So for now, use those files or contact us through geekmail.

But of course, best way to solve this issue is to provide a pdf of a better rulebook. So that s at least what the publisher plans to do with our help.

But as you are all new to this game, i think you guys are in te best position to tell me/ us, where the biggest issues in the rules are, what s misleading, what s wrong?, ideas, ...

Everybody s remarks are welcome so they can make a better rulebook in the future! Thanks up front for playing, rating, commenting and helping ...

Many greetings,

thomas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omar Cardona
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the my first game tonight and our biggest confusion was what each icon means. Something like a short sentence or two. on what each icon does would help immensely imo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. 100% true.
Did you use the file of David now? On actioncards and tokens?
Anyway, think the last page of the rulebook was meant to be such a thing. But there are some important ones missing. So that s certinly a thing that can be done better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some things I would like to see:

Turn/Phase summary
Scoring summary
Quest requirements icon list
Action card icon list (David's page)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb

I copy pasted your comments placed in another tread here too, so i can keep all comments on rules in one place.

Well then, for my own edification, is this the full list of things that are actively misleading in the rules (either through omission or straight up errors):

1) ability to use 3 black cubes to get an action card (no mention in manual)

2) king richard can reclaim a liberated area regardless of the state of the fortress (manual implies this only happens if fortress destroyed)

3) you don't lose influence when completing questions (more a printing issue with quest cards than manual, but still)

4) the "after battle" image on pg13 shows 2 green cubes when it should show 0 cubes (this is obviously a goof because of a change at some point in the graphic design of the game, as it seemed it used to be that you placed the "leadership" cubes on the regions themselves instead of in the boxes at the bottom of the board)

5) pg5 says to set "bidding area closed" cards by the board, but as near as i can tell, these don't exist?

6) in a few places, the rules refer to spy cards, but they really mean spy tokens, yes

7) order of bidding... turnorder, troop cards and than info ( in sync with board layout. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omar Cardona
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we did end up using i. It was a help but we still had some issues with some of the icons. I'd also recommend adding some player aids with all the phases and actions you can do per phase plus a summary of the icons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThankS!!
We did have such a round summary in the prototype. It was on every playerboard. Dropped off for print technical reason... But good idea to bring those back.

Thznks for helping out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Vande Ginste
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
good comments by
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm going to invent a term "liberator" to help with what I'm trying to say here:

Eg: When a region is liberated, the "liberator" gets the bonus token.

If the stronghold is still intact, and Richard gets more influence than the players in the region (probably by a bad event/move combo), the bonus token is given up by the liberator and removed from the game.

There can still be a battle to re-liberate the area, but there will be no reward token.

After a stronghold has been successfully besieged:

If Richard gets a majority in this case, the region is lost forever. Where the rules seem vague to me is that they seem to assume the Area Leader is the same as the Area Liberator. Othello may well have liberated the area (and thus owns the token), but maybe Viola came in later to besiege the stronghold and claim Leadership of the area. In this case, the Area Leader does not have the token.

I'd reword the rules to say "The Area Leader
loses two Victory Points, and the Area token is taken from whichever Character's card it is on, and removed from the game."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omar Cardona
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any word on this? It's been 3 months and nothing new on this. Really want to play this again with a much better rulebook in tow. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.