Subject: 1st game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jaca Slaby
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes - last week I was infected by idea of making and playing DUS.
Twilght Struggle for 3 players? Dream came true!

So... three days of arranging printouts, cutting cards and counters.
And reading the rules... hmm.. I consider myself experienced gamer, not afraid of complicated rules.
But... I found DUS rules propably most demanding of all I ever read. (High Frontier level)
Not necessary bad thing if you like really complicated, detailed and complex engines.
But things could be a little clearer...
(first you learn how to contribute to war... much later you explore how to start them, Allies and Pacts... still enigma for me, I know its written in one paragraph.. but I cannot read it without headache and scratching my head)
I found strange that play example is given for two players in advanced mode - hardcore .

So... one long evening and two friends...
rules explanation: 1hr
one turn in simple mode: 1hr

We played 4 turns - so 5 hours.
And we were playing quite fast, without AP.
It was 1:00AM, we decided to call it a day.
Democrats won by large(?) margin.. 53:29:17 (Demo:Comm:Nazi)

Problem is, the game gives you not enough tension.
We earned around 5 "pernament" VP, the countries changed hands a lot...
Every successfull Coup drags country 4 spaces (or is it 3? in two places are differnt numbers) so country goes directly from Communism to Nazism... big swings. But when you know it is only "temporary" VP - then no worries.

Mostly we did resource catching (oil first!) to get double MR production, then we swing to producing Coup Cells and making Coups...
1 Civil war, 2 "normal wars"

Evening not totally lost - everybody had nice feeling of participating in history, thinking, cunning and impersonating of leaders (bad accent - yes )
But too long and not enough tension.

If I could wish for something:
- more ways to get pernament VP
- less countries on both maps
- streamlining few rules (to get whole game in 3-3.5hrs)
- landconnections look good, but play terribly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the game a while ago. I agree with you for the most part except on the permanent victory point thing. I like that the victory point can be gained and lost. As for coups, I think the problem is they are difficult to defend against.

I think it would help the designers a bit if you clarified the 'lack of tension'. What would make the tension better in your mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting that coups are so prevalent in the game. Were there any successful coups in the actual timeframe of the game (setting aside the Spanish Civil War, which clearly was a more involved event)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Cammisa
Italy
Monza
MB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I'm happy to read your report.

At least I feel you did not dislike the game. And I think you could enjoy it a bit more after another play: in my opinion, being a card-driven game, more experienced players can play a more tense and challenging game.

About your points:

- Nazi player is the side that can get most "permanent" VPs (then Communist), mainly after turn 4. Democrat player must instead pursue his opponent(s) on the geo-political ground. So, the more you play towards 1940, the more permanent VP you can get, but this means also the Democracy-Nazism tension increases as well, due to the increase of militarism and aggressiveness of dictatorship.

- less countries on the map / land connections: I think the map should need a visual redesign rather than changing the number of minors, that is strongly balanced within the overall game mechanics

- streamlining some rules: sure! I think the rules book needs an overall redesign (some rules streamlined, more visual examples, better play-aids)

I hope to publish some interesting news during next months, not only addressing your points...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
calvinus wrote:

At least I feel you did not dislike the game. And I think you could enjoy it a bit more after another play: in my opinion, being a card-driven game, more experienced players can play a more tense and challenging

I hope to publish some interesting news during next months, not only addressing your points...

This getting published?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Cammisa
Italy
Monza
MB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
Interesting that coups are so prevalent in the game. Were there any successful coups in the actual timeframe of the game (setting aside the Spanish Civil War, which clearly was a more involved event)?

Some coups attempts:
- in Estonia by Konstantin Päts in 1934
- in Latvia by Karlis Ulmanis in spring 1934
- in Bulgaria, spring 1934
- in Greece a Venizelist coup attempt in spring 1935, then a successful coup by Kondylis to restore the monarchy, then by Ioannis Metaxas (a sort of self-coup) in August 1936
- the Austrian SS coup in Austria of 1934 (assassination of Dollfuss),
- the Alzamiento in Spain (1936)
- Japan, the February 26th incident (a card in game expansion)
- Iraq, autumn 1936, the prime minister is deposed
- a failed pro-Nazi coup in Norway in 1940

Read here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_coups_d%27%C3%A9tat_and...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the exhaustive answer. It's nice when a question asked in earnest is also answered in earnest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Cammisa
Italy
Monza
MB
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
calvinus wrote:

At least I feel you did not dislike the game. And I think you could enjoy it a bit more after another play: in my opinion, being a card-driven game, more experienced players can play a more tense and challenging

This getting published?

Still nothing official, sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.