T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never really done the whole podcast thing. But after downloading and listening to the recent Dice Tower interviews with both Martin Wallace and Aldie this week, I've decided that maybe I should check out the whole phenomenon. So I went and got the most recent version of iTunes. Being the completist that I am, I ran some searches for the following 8 podcasts (all of the podcasts I'd ever tagged "podcast" here on BGG): Abstract Gamer, Boardgame Babylon, BoardGameSpeak, Garrett's Games and Geekiness, GeekSpeak, The Dice Tower, The Spiel, and The Vintage Gamer. I found entries for all 8, but found some weird results when trying to download all of the episodes from each of these podcasts. Since I'm new to the whole world of podcasting, I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Abstract Gamer
I was able to successfully download Episodes 2, 3, and 4, but Episode 1 is nowhere in sight. How odd!

Boardgame Babylon
I was able to successfully download Episodes 1 through 24, except Episode 2 appears to be missing entirely. Another oddity

BoardGameSpeak
38 episodes show up in the list, but none of them could be downloaded successfully, all failed. Hmmm....

Garrett's Games and Geekiness / Boardgaming Roundtable
I was able to successfully download Episodes 25 through 34, but nothing before Episode 25 shows up, very strange.

GeekSpeak
Just like with BoardGameSpeak, there are over 30 episodes listed, but none of them could be downloaded successfully, they all failed.

The Dice Tower
I was able to download Episode Zero through Episode 67, plus the recent three Special Episodes. However, Episode 1 is missing, Episode 7 failed, and Episode 20 failed. Lastly, and most strange, is that all of the episodes from 50 and earlier are only 1 minute and 33 seconds long, now that doesn't seem right seeing as almost everything after episode 50 is over an hour long.

The Spiel
This is the only one that didn't seem to have any problems, with Episodes 1 through 13 all downloading successfully.

The Vintage Gamer
I got Episodes 12 through 19, but see no signs of anything before Episode 12, quite peculiar.

Despite all these peculiarities, I've still now got myself exactly 130 podcast episodes, measuring 2.9 days in length, and weighing in at 1.84 gigabytes, so it looks like I've got my work cut out for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgame Babylon Volume 2 is missing for a reason - it was never released because I was waiting to do a "Gaming History" show with that slot. But guess what? It has finally been recorded and just needs to be edited. You should see it and a companion show posted very soon.

...Sheylon

www.boardgamebabylon.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The Dice Tower
I was able to download Episode Zero through Episode 67, plus the recent three Special Episodes. However, Episode 1 is missing, Episode 7 failed, and Episode 20 failed. Lastly, and most strange, is that all of the episodes from 50 and earlier are only 1 minute and 33 seconds long, now that doesn't seem right seeing as almost everything after episode 50 is over an hour long.

The first 50 are no longer there & are only now avaliable on a CD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Peterson
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abstract Gamer Episode 2 is a redo of episode 1. It is available for manual download at www.abstractgamer.com, but I'd suggest you simply listen to Episode 2.

-JEEP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Myers
United States
Salem
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have downloaded all of the podcasts directly from the websites using "Save Link as ..." and saving as a MP3. I have made some comments about my success with downloading the various podcasts below. I have also downloaded podcasts from the following sites.

Have Games, Will Travel
http://havegameswilltravel.libsyn.com/

All Games Considered
http://allgamesconsidered.blogspot.com/

Board Games with Scott This is not only audio but video (I only downloaded the audio).
http://www.boardgameswithscott.com/

I have a few of the more recent files to get from a couple of the sites but so far I have 315 files and 6.5 Gigs.

Thommy8 wrote:
Abstract Gamer
I was able to successfully download Episodes 2, 3, and 4, but Episode 1 is nowhere in sight. How odd!

I did not know about this one but I was able to download all 4 episodes from the website.

Thommy8 wrote:
Boardgame Babylon
I was able to successfully download Episodes 1 through 24, except Episode 2 appears to be missing entirely. Another oddity

On the website the blog for episode 3 by E.R. Burgess has a comment about episode 2. I think he also makes a reference to it in one of the later episodes.

Thommy8 wrote:
BoardGameSpeak
38 episodes show up in the list, but none of them could be downloaded successfully, all failed. Hmmm....

I have downloaded all 38 episodes from the website to my PC. These are some very interesting conversations that Dirk and Aldie have with their guests.

Thommy8 wrote:
Garrett's Games and Geekiness / Boardgaming Roundtable
I was able to successfully download Episodes 25 through 34, but nothing before Episode 25 shows up, very strange.

I also could only download episodes 25 - 34. On the website if you go to podcast it will list 25 thru 34 with MP3 files. There is a link at the bottom of the page "Go to archive" you can see episodes 1 - 34 and can listen to them with quicktime but I could not find any links to download an MP3.

Thommy8 wrote:
GeekSpeak
Just like with BoardGameSpeak, there are over 30 episodes listed, but none of them could be downloaded successfully, they all failed.

I found several references to GeekSpeak so I am not sure which one you are refering to.

Thommy8 wrote:
The Dice Tower

Recently The Dice Tower has removed episodes 1 - 50 and you can support The Dice Tower by purchasing them on DVD. The middle paragraph on the webpage has a link and explains that they have removed episodes 1-50.

I started downloading the older episodes last spring and have all the episodes 1 thru current.

Thommy8 wrote:
The Spiel
This is the only one that didn't seem to have any problems, with Episodes 1 through 13 all downloading successfully.

I also had no problems downloading the MP3s from the website.

Thommy8 wrote:
The Vintage Gamer
I got Episodes 12 through 19, but see no signs of anything before Episode 12, quite peculiar.

They have all of the episodes back thru 1 listed on the website and they seem to be downloading OK. The seperate months Jan 06 thru Sept 06 are listed in the archives.

edit: corrected link to: Boardgames with Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inntrepid wrote:

Board Games with Scott This is not only audio but video (I only downloaded the audio).
http://www.inntrepid.com/

That's an odd place to go for Board Games with Scott.

You can get the audio-only in Blog form at
http://www.boardgameswithscott.com/audio/

or in RSS-form at
http://feeds.feedburner.com/boardgameswithscott/audio

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dion wrote:

Not quite true - they are also available for download, but you have to pay a small amount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PvdR
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also worth checking out:

Boardgames To Go
http://www.boardgamestogo.com/

Especially check out the all about shows, and the shows with Mike Siggins

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Myers
United States
Salem
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snicholson wrote:
Inntrepid wrote:

http://www.inntrepid.com/

That's an odd place to go for Board Games with Scott.

You can get the audio-only in Blog form at
http://www.boardgameswithscott.com/audio/

or in RSS-form at
http://feeds.feedburner.com/boardgameswithscott/audio

Scott

opps,
I corrected the link in my original post.

Sorry about that, Inntrepid

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheylon wrote:
Boardgame Babylon Volume 2 is missing for a reason - it was never released because I was waiting to do a "Gaming History" show with that slot. But guess what? It has finally been recorded and just needs to be edited. You should see it and a companion show posted very soon.

Thanks for the clarification. One confusion down, only a few more to go

Dion wrote:

Ahh, thanks Dion. I guess I missed the boat on that one. I suppose I'll listen to the more recent ones, as well as the other 7 or so podcasts I have now, and then look into getting the archive of Dice Towers.

jeep wrote:
Abstract Gamer Episode 2 is a redo of episode 1. It is available for manual download at www.abstractgamer.com, but I'd suggest you simply listen to Episode 2.

Thanks for the explanation Joe, I'll just forget about Episode 1 then and stick with #2 and onward.

Inntrepid wrote:
I have downloaded all of the podcasts directly from the websites using "Save Link as ..." and saving as a MP3. I have made some comments about my success with downloading the various podcasts below. I have also downloaded podcasts from the following sites.

Have Games, Will Travel
http://havegameswilltravel.libsyn.com/

All Games Considered
http://allgamesconsidered.blogspot.com/

http://www.boardgameswithscott.com/

I have a few of the more recent files to get from a couple of the sites but so far I have 315 files and 6.5 Gigs.

Hmm, I see Tim, I hadn't thought to go to the websites directly and get the podcasts that way, I figured everyone just did podcasts with iTunes, for some reason the two seemed inextricably linked in my mind. I have gone back to iTunes and grabed the Have Games Will Travel, All Games Considered, and Board Games with Scott episodes, so my total is through the roof now.

The GeekSpeak I was referring to was the original BoardGameSpeak before the name change. Both the original and the new name appear in iTunes, but neither can be successfully downloaded, at least by me. I guess I'll try to get them from the website then. Can you add them to your iTunes library after downloading them with the website, so they show up just the same as the rest of the podcasts, do you know?

By the way, thank you so much for going through all the podcasts one by one to explain your downloading results, I really appreciate it!

vandini_p wrote:
Also worth checking out:

Boardgames To Go
http://www.boardgamestogo.com/

Especially check out the all about shows, and the shows with Mike Siggins

Thanks Peter, I went and got all the episodes of Boardgames To Go that I could find too, I'd forgot about that one.

---

So now my grand total is up to 252 episodes, measuring 5 full days, and 4.47 gigabytes, and I haven't even tried downloading any from websites, just through iTunes so far.

Thanks for all the help so far, hope this thread helps others discover all the podcasts out there. Now I just have to find time to start listening to them, heh laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thommy8 wrote:
So now my grand total is up to 252 episodes, measuring 5 full days, and 4.47 gigabytes, and I haven't even tried downloading any from websites, just through iTunes so far.

You will never catch up!

Just make sure you catch the most recent shows of any podcast and hit the archive shows when you can. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty Dickey
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5 years ago (when I started boardgaming), who would have imagined that this thread could ever exist? It is amazing to see what is happening with this hobby. Once again, three cheers for Aldie and Co. for bringing the boardgaming community together on the internet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Van Verth
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thommy8 wrote:

The Vintage Gamer

The feed was limited to 10 entries -- I've expanded it to 20, and may push it out farther. As mentioned, you can also download them from the site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Garrett
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
www.garrettsgames.com
badge
This week's podcast - Circus Flohcati, Pi Mal Pflaumen, and Pack O Games Set 2
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding Garrett's Games and Geekiness:

I had been keeping EVERY episode up both as a web-only listen AND an MP3. However, that was taking up quite a bit of space that I have to pay for (not a money-making enterprise currently, nor do I think it will become one - and that's not what I do it for anyway). I removed the MP3 files of the items that have been archived and will most likely offer them for a nominal fee when I have 40 or so.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but I hope it doesn't prevent you from listening and (possibly) enjoying the episodes.

Take care,

Doug
www.garrettsgames.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Doug,

i've listened to a few of your podcasts and just wanted to say thanks, they are really great. The last roundtable with mark johnson and aldie was particuliarly entertaining. I think a lot of gamers like myself enjoy hearing about not only the mechanics/components of a game but what you like or don't like about it. I def enjoy hearing news, but much prefer to hear opinions on games.

-
James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
I updated the BoardGameSpeak feed on itunes. Downloads for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EvilTimmy wrote:
You will never catch up!

Just make sure you catch the most recent shows of any podcast and hit the archive shows when you can. meeple

Thanks for the words of encouragement Tim laugh

I actually have a lot of free time these days, heh, so I've been making some progress over the last few weeks, at least listening faster than they can make them currently. Managed to listen to almost all of the Garrett's Games and Geekiness episodes that I'd downloaded. I started with just the Boardgame Roundtable episodes, but those were pretty good, so I went on to the rest, and have enjoyed them, soon though I'll have to move on to another podcast, and haven't decide which it should be.

I also haven't been able to decide whether I like it better when they talk about games I know and am familiar with so that I can maybe gain some new insight on them and at least follow the conversation better, or when they talk about games I don't know much about so that I can learn about new games but have more trouble following the disucssion of gameplay. I guess a mix is good, and the more voices in the there to mix it up the better, so I definitely like the Roundtables.

otscotty wrote:
5 years ago (when I started boardgaming), who would have imagined that this thread could ever exist? It is amazing to see what is happening with this hobby. Once again, three cheers for Aldie and Co. for bringing the boardgaming community together on the internet.

I agree, the number of podcasts out there is definitely amazing. Never really explored them before, but they are a very cool resource. I guess the first one I got into was Board Games with Scott, so I have him to thank for making them so accessible and interesting, but he can only churn out episodes so fast, so I had to move on to the audio ones, which there are more than enough of to keep me busy for a long while.

Jvsquare wrote:
The feed was limited to 10 entries -- I've expanded it to 20, and may push it out farther. As mentioned, you can also download them from the site.

Thanks Jim. I didn't realize the feeds are limited, or that you could download them from sites, rather than just in iTunes itself, so I should be able to get all the older episodes now, very cool.

dwgteach wrote:
Regarding Garrett's Games and Geekiness:
I had been keeping EVERY episode up both as a web-only listen AND an MP3. However, that was taking up quite a bit of space that I have to pay for (not a money-making enterprise currently, nor do I think it will become one - and that's not what I do it for anyway). I removed the MP3 files of the items that have been archived and will most likely offer them for a nominal fee when I have 40 or so.
Sorry for the inconvenience, but I hope it doesn't prevent you from listening and (possibly) enjoying the episodes.
Take care,
Doug
www.garrettsgames.com

Thanks Doug, I didn't realize how much space the episodes took up or how expensive it was to host them, so I understand. I've at least had the chance to listen to Episodes 25 through 36, which were all very enjoyable. I guess I just should have gotten on this whole podcast bandwagon earlier if I wanted to hear the early episodes of Dice Tower, GeekSpeak, or your show. These will have to do though, thanks again

Aldie wrote:
I updated the BoardGameSpeak feed on itunes. Downloads for me.

Thanks Aldie. I'm downloading all the BoardGameSpeak episodes via iTunes as I write this, and already over 20 of them have successfully downloaded. Are the GeekSpeak episodes on iTunes separate or overlapping with the BoardGameSpeak episodes. Those appear on iTunes but don't seem to be able to be downloaded, maybe because the name changed and you can't make them available anymore, I don't really know. Thanks again!

EDIT: I've finished successfully downloading all of the BoardGameSpeak episodes, except for two which failed to download, which were: the episode from 3/21/06 and the one from 9/26/05. Also, I checked and there does appear to be some overlap between the "GeekSpeak" episodes on iTunes and the BoardGameSpeak episodes, in fact it may be that all of the original GeekSpeak episodes have been turned in to BoardGameSpeak episodes because the earliest of each appears to be 9/27/04, do you know if that is the case, just curious, thanks.

-Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tino Cappelleri
China
Shanghai
China
flag msg tools
designer
the free/open boardgame community in TURIN (Italy)
badge
mb

Hi, I just would like to introduce the first Italian web radio transmission "Frequenza Ludica", that talk about boardgames ... Sorry if isn't in english but here is really appreciated since September 2006, every month.

http://www.improntadigitale.org/Trasmissioni/Frequenza_ludic...

You can find old episodes in "Archivio puntate".

You can listen about fairs & conventions reports, authors, boardgames reviews and music.

Hope you'll enjoy it!

ciao
TinuZ cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.