GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,838 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Abstract Games» Forums » General

Subject: Morelli and the Cortázar Centenary rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Moxham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mb

As some of you may be aware, Morelli takes its name from a character in Julio Cortázar’s novel Rayuela (Hopscotch). The fictional Morelli describes a version of chess he has heard of in which victory is achieved by conquering the Centre. He also recalls hearing (a detail to which I have hitherto turned a blind eye in the interests of sanity) that each of the players is required to manage no fewer than 60 pieces...

Well, this year is the 100th anniversary of Cortázar’s birth, and the indefatigable Héctor Máximo Canteros, compatriot of the great man and since 1998 a professional abstract evangelist by public appointment (beat that for political vision!), recently contributed to the celebrations by introducing Morelli the boardgame to a Buenos Aires audience (see the November output of ludoskopio.blogspot.co.uk for a pictorial record of the event). Inspired by this, I thought it would be fun to enter into the spirit of the centenary by at least attempting a game on the dizzying scale posited by the original Morelli. Accordingly, Richard Malaschitz – a good sport if ever there was one – has been kind enough to implement the 31x31 format under the Infinity heading on Little Golem. Six of us are currently taking up the challenge, and any BGG colleagues who would like to join in are most welcome. I should add that only a short-term implementation of this variant is envisaged - probably no further beyond the New Year than will allow completion of games already in progress at that point.

And a huge thank you to both Richard and Héctor!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, dear. I can't imagine playing on a 31x31 board! 13x13 is fine for me, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.