Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Turner
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have set up a company with the intention of producing and selling boardgames. I have the funds for a first game with a 1000 print run, properly marketed.

I have seen a number of games, including from designers who have games in the top 100 here on bgg. So far I have not found a game I am willing to publish.

So I am opening this up to bgg members. If you have a game in development that you would like to be considered, then send me a summary by private message. I will be pleased to have a look.

For anybody interested in the legal side of things, I will keep all submissions confidential and no rights transfer except under signed contract.

Any questions please post on the thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard:

If I may ask, what are you looking for in a "game"? With the number of designers, published and otherwise, out there, there's lotsa designs. Can you tell us a little more, and perhaps allow some time economy?

Are you budgeted for a collectible minis game?

Are you seeking a family game, with the idea of brokering the rights sale once your test run is done?

Are you looking to publish a collectible or expandable card game? A card-driven game? A block wargame?

How many bits, and of what type, are you budgeted for? Should the designer be working around a mounted board, tiles, or paper?

Do you have a website up, where I can check your guidelines and see whether I've got something in my desk drawer that fits your needs? Do you have an NDA ready for me to include with my presub inquiry, or do I need to provide one?

If you're assuming that any new board game is going to be one in the European style, you might consider posting at the Board Game Designer's Forum (http://www.bgdf.com), though I'm sure you'll get response here as well. There's a lot of overlap.

I do wish you the best of luck. You're entering a tough market, and I hope you do well.

-Geoff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Turner
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes a bit more detail might have helped.

I will consider any game, because if it is good enough that is fine with me.

However I would prefer a smallish game, perhaps 2-4 players, 30 minutes. Something of the size of San Juan perhaps. Whether it is card based or whatever does not matter.

Thanks for the private responses so far. I will work through them and reply ASAP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Turner
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gbohrer wrote:

Do you have a website up, where I can check your guidelines and see whether I've got something in my desk drawer that fits your needs? Do you have an NDA ready for me to include with my presub inquiry, or do I need to provide one?

If you're assuming that any new board game is going to be one in the European style, you might consider posting at the Board Game Designer's Forum (http://www.bgdf.com), though I'm sure you'll get response here as well. There's a lot of overlap.

-Geoff

At the present time I do not have a website up. I do not consider that an NDA is needed at this stage, as I acknowledge everything submitted is confidential. I don't want to get bogged down in legalities.

I am familiar with bdgf, but opted for bgg, which I guess says something.

Thanks for you kind words.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RCTurner wrote:

I am familiar with bdgf, but opted for bgg, which I guess says something.

It certainly does. It tells me that most of the assumptions that I made based on your first post and your profile were dead wrong .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben .
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RCTurner wrote:
.....I do not consider that an NDA is needed at this stage, as I acknowledge everything submitted is confidential. I don't want to get bogged down in legalities....

Richard, just to let you know; I would be unwilling to send any details of my designs to potential publishers without an NDA or some form of IP protection in place.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavour! With the comparatively high price of English-language designer game imports, even small print runs from domestic publishers have the potential to price competitively in the UK market, I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to scan print and play games that are already out their. Publishers pluck the wheat from the chaff all the time from these offerings. The advantages are obvious:

1) You can see the game, even print it out and play it, without it being submitted or worrying about legal ramifications.

2) You aren't looking at a pig in a poke, but can screen for games that you might actually like to publish.

3) You can get designs that have already been proven in the (small) marketplace.

The only downside that I can see is that some of your potential sales have already been made. I think that is offset by the advantages listed above.

For a good list of game available, search geeklists for "print-and-play". that will lead you to several lists by the same author, in fact the meta list will send you to his website, which should be up to date. The other lists break the games out alphabetically, and seem to be listed in order of their BGG rating.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Turner
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben - any submission is protected by copyright. Having an NDA in place doesnt protect you any more than me saying its confidential.

Thanks for the comments and advice from everybody.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C G
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I agree.

Copyright is all you need. No company is really going to risk all the investment it takes to publish a game, only for you to take them to court later and take all the profit and then some.

It makes logic to pay the poultry percentage / sale that is the standard.

C

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RCTurner wrote:
Ben - any submission is protected by copyright. Having an NDA in place doesnt protect you any more than me saying its confidential.

Probably that it doesn't protect more, but what is the hassle of getting an NDA? Isn't it standard for both parties to sign a NDA?

If I had a product and someone would refuse to sign a NDA, it would raise a big red flag. May or may not be true, but I would be very careful dealing with that organization.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, when I presubbed to the old Avalon Hill, they sent an NDA with their response.

Mayfair wants an NDA with presubs.

When I worked with Columbia recently, I sent them an NDA with the prototype (AFTER they'd looked at the presub, and asked for a prototype). Tom quite cheerfully signed it and sent it back in the SASE I'd provided the same day.

My own experience has been that "NDA" is often shorthand for two documents, the actual Non-Disclosure Agreement AND the submission agreement, which basically says "I as the submitter understand that the company might take awhile to get around to looking at this project, and that they may even have something similar that's ready to go out the door, and I won't sue 'em for either one."

Really, your presub shouldn't contain anything that's not public domain anyway; save the IP (which ideas aren't) for the prototype. (Except maybe a few images, which aren't gonna matter in the long run.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Turner
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aljovin wrote:
RCTurner wrote:

Probably that it doesn't protect more, but what is the hassle of getting an NDA? Isn't it standard for both parties to sign a NDA?

If I had a product and someone would refuse to sign a NDA, it would raise a big red flag. May or may not be true, but I would be very careful dealing with that organization.

Well first it has to be agreed by both parties and then sent back and forth by snail mail which all takes time. I would never refuse to sign one. But it isn't really needed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RCTurner wrote:
Aljovin wrote:
RCTurner wrote:

Well first it has to be agreed by both parties and then sent back and forth by snail mail which all takes time. I would never refuse to sign one. But it isn't really needed!

I've signed many NDA and sent them back by fax, it's as valid. Again, that's your call, but I'd be worried that there might be ulterior motive than what was mentionned.

I think that it would be good form to have a NDA for something that isn't yet on the market.

Wouldn't a pre-submission includes the time the submission is valid? I've read that submission to many editors is not well appreciated, so you would want to know when a decision will be made from the author's point of view.

But at this time, I have no games ready for submission!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Nelson
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Well, I have signed many NDA forms over my career as well as I require them to be signed, before submitting any prototypes. I believe in order to have a leg to stand on in a court situation - the parties will need to have some type of proof other than their word against my word that a product was ripped off. If anything, the NDA creates a papertrail proving who, when and where the invention, product or game was received and by who.

Its a good idea to protect any components that makes the product unique. Depending on what exactly the inventor wants to protect - the forms of protection that may be required to protect fully could include copyrights, trademarks and/or patents. Of course, it can be quite expensive to do all, but its worth it for some products, but I am not quite sure games would be one of them.

Some of the machines and toys that I have developed over the years have been fully protected with all types of IP protections, but with the protential of generating millions, if not billions of dollars over the next 20 years - it makes perfect sense to spend the tens of thousands of dollars on copyrights, trademarks and patents. Unlike games that typically makes less than 100K over its lifetime - its not worth obtaining patents.

There have been several games that have generated millions of dollars and even fewer that have generated over a billion dollars in revenue. Pokemon generate several billion dollars in revenue, but it included not only the CCG, but movies, video games and other merchandising to make that kind of cash. Magic the Gathering was another one of the ultra-popular, mega-million dollar seller, but I am sure not even the company would have ever been able to guess how well it would have done in the very beginning. And, of course, Monopoly has more than likely generated a billion dollars in sales since the 1930's and many more billions with the video games, fast-food games, merchandising, ect.

Simply there is no way of truly knowing if the game that you have will be the next mega-million dollar hit, until you have released it on the market. Speaking of markets - every mega-hit has one thing in common and that is clever marketing and/or advertising. How is anyone going to know about your game and why they should want to buy it - if they don't even know it is out there to buy. That's where good marketing comes in to play. It really does take spending money to make money these days.

Now, I design mostly family games and for the broadest markets possible. My company relies on retailers like Walgreens, Wal-Mart and other large retailers to sell our games and marketing is required to obtain these types of retail vendors. The smaller game stores benefit usually from the marketing and advertising, but usually they do not order enough quanity to obtain the lowest wholesale price in order to compete with the big box retailers (as these retailers usually purchase 10K or even 100K units at one time.

I am sorry for getting off topic - I think its very important to create a papertrail anytime when dealing with submitting to manufacturers. I agree with the others in that most manufacturers will not steal game ideas, because of the costs involved in manufacturing the products and not even knowing for sure if the game will even return a profit. While if we were talking about another product such as an I-pod type product, before there was an I-pod type product, then I am sure there are companies that would risks stealing a product such as this, because of the profit protential of such a device. However, an inventor would have to be out of their mind to have not patented such an device, before presenting to manufacturers.

James (nventit)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Pidcock
Canada
Baie d'Urfe
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Well I'm not certain I'm willing to hand over production of any of my games yet - I've heard a great many horror stories and the games sell well as they are.. However, production on one of them is getting a bit beyond my means, so I'd be willing to talk, if you're interested.

I have two: Splittin Infinitives Splittin Infinitives and the 2nd is Werewolf's Castle which has just completed prototyping and has been playtested and demo-d, and has orders, but not a webpage yet.

Get in touch if you need more details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.