BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: What do you answer to 'I don't like thinking'? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Iori Yagami
Latvia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And the game gets declined\left\never replayed. I just moan and groan, because no words can be enough. Especially with a light fun game. Oh, it's sad but board games will be blatantly disliked by some people no matter what. Let's just hope they're more interested in some other areas... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I laugh inside and try to remember why I call them friends.

Havent figured out a reply yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Have you considered why that's the case?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay

And then I find another group to game with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Curse your sudden but inevitable action denial!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not everyone has to enjoy gaming, believe it or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C.
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Usually it's because the context is "....for leisure by playing a boardgame."

My wife has a doctorate and spends 12 hours a day working with dementia patients as a neuropsychologist.

She often says, "I just don't feel like thinking anymore" when it comes to choosing leisure or some form of relaxation.

This notion that somehow people are stupid or lazy because they don't want to "think" and play our games for fun has been done to death over the years.

It's nonsense and ill-founded.

So, I would take a look at the context. Does someone really not "like" thinking at all in several aspects of their life or are they simply saying they don't want to do it for leisure through the rather parochial paradigm of a boardgame?

EDIT: And people disliking boardgames isn't "sad." It's the proper function of taste and subjective pleasure. It's supposed to work this way.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to deal with people who can't even watch certain tv shows or films because they don't want to think too much. You just have to pick your battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
p4warrior wrote:
Not everyone has to enjoy gaming, believe it or not.

Yeah, just ask Clearclaw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's frustrating when someone doesn't like a hobby you are passionate about, but I think we have all been there. Not everyone will like everything you do -- best way is to find friends that share your interest in playing games, and do like to think for fun.

Frankly, playing a game with people who aren't interested or can't do it isn't any fun, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iori Yagami
Latvia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
natsean wrote:
Quote:

My wife has a doctorate and spends 12 hours a day working with dementia patients as a neuropsychologist.

She often says, "I just don't feel like thinking anymore" when it comes to choosing leisure or some form of relaxation.

This notion that somehow people are stupid or lazy because they don't want to "think" and play our games for fun has been done to death over the years.

So, I would take a look at the context. Does someone really not "like" thinking at all in several aspects of their life or are they simply saying they don't want to do it for leisure through the rather parochial paradigm of a boardgame?

EDIT: And people disliking boardgames isn't "sad." It's the proper function of taste and subjective pleasure. It's supposed to work this way.

Kevin

Yeah, but nah. Your case could be summarized as 'I'm too tired mentally. Right now I can't play, I need mental rest.' If those people had a long time without mental strain, they would be more willing to 'think', whatever this involves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Would it be inappropriate to respond with "how have you survived this long?", because that was my first thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
natsean wrote:
Quote:

Kevin

The joke flying over your head goes WHOOSH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
I have to deal with people who can't even watch certain tv shows or films because they don't want to think too much.

You don't really *have to.*

There are TV shows that require thinking?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
cornixt wrote:
I have to deal with people who can't even watch certain tv shows or films because they don't want to think too much.

This thread is a tangent to "How do we expand the hobby?" threads. The fact is that a good number of people are not entertained by having to think, and hence, mass media entertainment devoid of the requirement. It would be interesting to poll the TV audience of a show like "Jeopardy" and find out what other TV shows they watch.

To each his own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Then you have to kill yourself...it's the only way out."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Rubinelli
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
"It's fun once you get used to it!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Eldard wrote:
tommynomad wrote:
cornixt wrote:

This thread is a tangent to "How do we expand the hobby?" threads. The fact is that a good number of people are not entertained by having to think, and hence, mass media entertainment devoid of the requirement. It would be interesting to poll the TV audience of a show like "Jeopardy" and find out what other TV shows they watch.

To each his own.

Or maybe they are entertained by having to think in different ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's like running. I hate running. So if someone comes up to me and says "let's go running" and I say, I don't want to go running, and that person says, "but it's fun, why wouldn't you want to feel good and have a great time, we'll start slow and do a short run?" I would say, no it isn't fun, ever, I won't have a great time, and it doesn't matter if it is inside, outside, on a treadmill or on the beaches of Hawaii, in a great outfit, or with $200 shoes. I don't like running. I am not sad, or a lesser human in any way. Runners might not agree. However, you might get me to walk with you, but that wouldn't be as fun for you, would it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Springfield
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I am a teacher by profession, I simply tell them they shouldn't say that to a teacher. As far as games, go, they've made it clear they'd rather throw a tantrum than try something new and potentially fun, so I make a note to avoid attempts to play games with them anymore. There are plenty enough people in my friends circle who are into games that I don't need to rely on new recruits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I don't get frustrated if someone doesn't like games. The hobbie isn't for everyone. What does frustrate me is when a gamer seems to decide he/she doesn't like a game for no reason, or before they've even played it. This has often limited a certain game or games from coming off the shelf, because one person just sulks their way into a new game. Expressing a preference is fine, and different games will get pulled more than others. But it's annoying when it slides into "I'm never going to play this, so neither are you as long as you're playing with me." This is rare, but I have seen it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Springfield
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwill2 wrote:
I think it's like running. I hate running. So if someone comes up to me and says "let's go running" and I say, I don't want to go running, and that person says, "but it's fun, why wouldn't you want to feel good and have a great time, we'll start slow and do a short run?" I would say, no it isn't fun, ever, I won't have a great time, and it doesn't matter if it is inside, outside, on a treadmill or on the beaches of Hawaii, in a great outfit, or with $200 shoes. I don't like running. I am not sad, or a lesser human in any way. Runners might not agree. However, you might get me to walk with you, but that wouldn't be as fun for you, would it?
Saying you don't like to run is not the same as saying you don't like to exercise though. I also hate running, but that's because after years of playing basketball on a springy gym courts, my joints aren't used to the impact of running on cement. So even though I don't run, I do stay active by playing basketball, taking crossfit classes, doing stand-up paddle boarding, hiking, and other activities occasionally as well. When someone says, "I don't like thinking.", I can't tell if they mean, "I don't want to think right now", which could be legit in the example given by Kevin above, or it could mean, "I want to engage my brain as little as possible in life." The second option simply makes me feel sad for the person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Shanmugasundaram
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Possible responses, depending on your relationship with the person/group:

Oh! No wonder.

First time for everything.

It only hurts the first time.

C'mon, I already b(r)ought you a drink.

Well, if you've got a note from your doctor...

You can't say you don't like something if you've never tried it.

Quit complaining. I don't like having you around, but here you are...

But really, everyone has their limit. I'm never going to play Starfleet Battles. Just never. I don't want to think that much.
For some people, that limit is Candyland. For others it's Cartagena. For others it's Through the Ages.

Find common ground and move on. Be as inclusive as you can while still getting what you want.

I know people who don't particularly like boardgames, but once in a while they'll find something that really clicks for them. Or rolls, in the case of Meander or Saturn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilczewski
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who gets this response ALL the time, this thread delivers.

Summary of my favorites so far (Thanks everyone)

Oh! No wonder.
First time for everything.
It only hurts the first time.
Well, if you've got a note from your doctor...
You can't say you don't like something if you've never tried it.
"It's fun once you get used to it!"
"Then you have to kill yourself...it's the only way out."
"how have you survived this long?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryce kartchner
United States
Centerville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had a nickel for every time I have heard that, I would have a lot of nickels. To me, that comment means they really don’t want to play any game, but would rather watch a movie. My standard response if, “I have just the game for you,” and then we play Tsuro, Incan Gold, or Escape. Usually, everyone has a good time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with something simpler, like Beer Pong ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.