Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Something closer to a 'cut' - variable crew pay rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I get why crew costs are fixed rather than working % costs for jobs - less brain pain. Sure it would be nice to get a steadily escalating cost as the rewards go up, but not worth the maths for most folk.

I think this is a nice house rule to make low pay jobs more of an option:
Halve crew costs (round up) for Legal jobs.

I'm thinking of expanding that idea - kind of 'danger money' - such that costs are standard for 1-2 Misbehave card jobs, x 1.5 for 3-4 Misbehave jobs and x 2 if 5+ Misbehave cards required. You would also add 1 Misbehave card to the calculation if the job has an end test (rather than Needs) that could kill a crew if failed.

Could this help reduce the effectiveness of Crime (vs. other illegal) jobs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Knotts
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race?
badge
¡Viva la Revolución!
mbmbmbmbmb
When I noticed this, it made sense to me from the strategic perspective that there could be a job that COSTS you money to do it with a particular crew, but that completing it may be beneficial to an alternative goal and thus be worth dipping into your pocket a little. However, this opinion is given having only watched some play through videos and not having actually played...

Looking forward to getting a solo play in soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Although it's an interesting idea, and I can see how it might help even things out, I don't love it.

You are already "rewarded" for for Legal jobs because they have fewer requirements and no Misbehaves.

Conversely, Illegal Jobs have extra cost already built in with larger Crew and necessary Gear, assuming you want to have a reasonable chance of success.

I would almost want to see a payout on a Botch, since I find a Botch to virtually always be preferable to a Warrant as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Bolyard
United States
Oak Grove
Missouri
flag msg tools
But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
badge
In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most legal jobs prior to Blue Sun were a waste of time in my opinion, aside from getting solid with a given contact. Please don't take offense to this, but I think a variable cut option is a poor patch, at best, for the more real problem of how poorly most legal jobs pay in the base game. I have become accustomed to playing with the selection of jobs as is, but the introduction of higher paying legal jobs that came with Blue Sun was a breath of fresh air.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dbolyard wrote:
Most legal jobs prior to Blue Sun were a waste of time in my opinion, aside from getting solid with a given contact. Please don't take offense to this, but I think a variable cut option is a poor patch, at best, for the more real problem of how poorly most legal jobs pay in the base game. I have become accustomed to playing with the selection of jobs as is, but the introduction of higher paying legal jobs that came with Blue Sun was a breath of fresh air.

Legal Jobs are a way of getting off to a faster start - rather than spend the first few turns shopping, you can knock off a couple of easy Jobs for an extra $1000 or so in spending money - the profit on a Legal Job with no Crew to pay off is comparable to the profit on an Illegal Job with an expensive Crew (actually, sometimes I've passed up Illegal Jobs because they wouldn't pay for the Crew Cut...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.