Subject: Is it possible to shorten game time? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
HB BD
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My husband and I are looking at this game. The theme really interests us, as does the game play.

The biggest road block is the 180 minute playing time. We just don't have that much time to devote to a game right now.

1. Is there a shorter variant?
2. If not, is this a game you could easily do in sessions? Maybe over two days in a row.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is definitely playable in multiple sessions (I do this often with a friend when we play online) and it comes with a late war scenario covering the last three turns of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can definitely leave it set up and come back. You could play a turn a night. A turn is 6 to 7 action rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HBBD2011 wrote:
My husband and I are looking at this game. The theme really interests us, as does the game play.

The biggest road block is the 180 minute playing time. We just don't have that much time to devote to a game right now.

2. If not, is this a game you could easily do in sessions? Maybe over two days in a row.

Thanks!

Once you've played it you probably won't want to shorten it! It can definitely be left set up and come back to, you can check the board state, your hand, and the discard/removed cards piles in 5 minutes, then you'll be good to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a shorter scenario.

The Late War Scenario

This is a separate PDF file from when it was originally release, but since then these rules have been integrated with the Twilight Struggle rulebook.

Also, once you are familiar with the game, I think that the game does speed up. I think two regular opponents can knock out a game in around 120m within 6-7, maybe 10, plays.

This could easily be played over two sessions if you have the space for it and no pets that will mess things up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a shorter variant in the rule book that plays the Late War only, from turns 8-10. The down side is many cards are removed, and it's tilted heavily in favor of one side (I forget which). The USA must score 20+ to win, including endgame scoring, with any other result being a Soviet victory, but the board is pretty favorable to the USA, if I recall.

I see no reason why you couldn't leave the board set up and play it an hour a day, or perhaps play Early/Mid/Late periods at a rate of one per day. That would take maybe 1 to 1.5 hours a day. You would need to isolate your set if you have pets or children who knock things about; there are a ton of small pieces.

Your first play will take a LONG time, though... 4 or 5 hours, if it goes the distance... as you learn the rules and cards. As people gain experience, it drops to 2-3 hours, but you definitely have to put in time and effort to make that happen.

Edit: ninja'd by someone more brief than myself! Also to clarify Late War Scenario scoring, as I'd erroneously said Soviets need 1+ VP to win that scenario, but they actually only need the USA to never reach 20+.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's time well spent regardless of amount of sittings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
be forewarned that your first plays may well exceed 3 hours until you learn the system. Worth every minute though. Great game.

Lol. I too was also ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Killian
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a short scenario that starts during the Late War. I haven't tried it but I imagine someone will be by shortly who has. I probably wouldn't get the game solely to play this scenario to the exclusion of the full game, but it's an option.

You can easily play this game in stages if you're able to leave it set up on the table between sessions. The other alternative would be to jot down/photograph the board position and bag up the cards, keeping the discard pile separate from the draw deck and setting aside the cards already removed from the game. This is a bit more work but hardly impossible. It would be best to do this between turns, for obvious reasons.

Another possibility for a Twilight Struggle-esque game in a shorter playing time would be to track down a reasonably priced copy of the sadly OOP 1960: The Making of the President, which has a common designer and a fair number of shared gameplay elements but takes significantly less time.

EDIT: wow, people jump on TS questions fast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HB BD
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
WOW! That was incredibly fast! You all are great. Thank you so much.

This was very motivating. It went off our list because of the time issue, but we keep going back to it. I think this will be part of our next order now! Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG representin' once again. And take it from someone who isn't very good at this game - discovering it with a good gaming partner is a big part of the fun for me. It's also the mark of a good game when people lose at it and are eager to play it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best way to shorten it is to become really good at it and crush your opponent by Turn 4 or 5. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Killian
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
And take it from someone who isn't very good at this game - discovering it with a good gaming partner is a big part of the fun for me.

QFT, as the kids say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
BGG representin' once again. And take it from someone who isn't very good at this game - discovering it with a good gaming partner is a big part of the fun for me. It's also the mark of a good game when people lose at it and are eager to play it again.

So true!

I love playing lots of games with many different opponents, but there are a few friends that I only bump into at various cons and I aim deliberately to find time for a game or two of TS with these guys and every game is great. Win or lose I love the experience playing against them all and, yes, I do probably lose more than I win.

And rest assured that this is the only game that I can ever say this about!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Scythe!
badge
Life is not a game - games are life.
mbmbmbmbmb
cheng wrote:
The best way to shorten it is to become really good at it and crush your opponent by Turn 4 or 5. devil

My wife did this to me on our first game. cry

I think that's the best way of playing a shorter game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And a good way of ensuring that the wife will play again. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HBBD2011 wrote:

Thanks!

1. There is, but I'd skip it over. It's not the variant that sits on BGG's #1 slot.
2. You easily could do sessions if there was a place the game could sit undisturbed. It's still best if you can play all the way through for 2-3 hours, while it's fresh in your mind, but the game has a lot of natural places to take a break.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Robbins

Syracuse
New York
msg tools
The more you play and as you get used to the game, playtime will decrease. It is in general a 2-3 hour game, possibly more on the first play. I have a good friend I frequently play with, and our games usually go for only around 2 hours and sometimes less.

Your questions:
1. The Late War Variant (which I have never tried)
2. This seems like an easily dividable game. You could split it by era or by turn. The turns are a very nice checkpoint system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit - The following is incorrect about reviewing the discard pile. Please disregard.

I agree with the consensus above, but want to emphasize one point. Normally you are not permitted to look at the discards (there are a card or two that let you look through the discard deck). You may want to allow youeselves to look through the discards when resuming the game the second day. At a minimum, you will want to be aware of which scoring cards have been played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:
I agree with the consensus above, but want to emphasize one point. Normally you are not permitted to look at the discards (there are a card or two that let you look through the discard deck). You may want to allow youeselves to look through the discards when resuming the game the second day. At a minimum, you will want to be aware of which scoring cards have been played.

Huh? The FAQ states it is allowed for the discard pile to be examined at any time. (Ruling 4.2)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal K
Poland
Otwock
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I my experience, looking at the stats I am doing, the game very rarely makes it to the final scoring (in my case, about 10-15% of all games).

So, while there are late war scenario variants (and many new with online app) I suggest just starting the play in a normal set-up, and you will see how hard it is to get to the end (which means, it will be definitely shorter than 180 min).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Barnhart
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
actuaryesquire wrote:

Alex is correct - the discard pile is always open for examination. My suggestion is, when you start, to help each other keep track of scoring cards that are still in the deck. A big problem is that at the beginning of the game, the possible moves are overwhelming. Knowing what scoring cards might be coming up limits the scope of moves to consider because you should generally be playing to get ready for scoring cards that could come up soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the corrections about reviewing the discard pile. What I SHOULD have written was after coming back to the game after an overnight break, you may want to agree to review the DRAW pile (and then reshuffle it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Morten Kro
Norway
Sandve
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our second game in 1,5 hours. Didn't make it out of early war

My guess is that short playtime may happen if opponent do a series of tactical blunders. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lasarus84 wrote:
We played our second game in 1,5 hours. Didn't make it out of early war

My guess is that short playtime may happen if opponent do a series of tactical blunders. whistle

I don't see too many games end in the Early War. For a long stretch, our games were ending on Turn 4 or 5. However, some of my opponents have upped their game and now we're making it into the Late War sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.