GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,204 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
50 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: New games for people who like classics. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emily Graves
msg tools
My boyfriend's family love playing board games but they frequently comment they're collection is getting stale. Most played games include clue, scattergories, monopoly, and trivial pursuit with trivial pursuit and clue getting the bulk of playtime. We've tried themed trivia games and those don't go over well. They're also into card games like hearts and crazy eights. Simple stuff. I need some suggestions for new things to try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride is an obvious choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Splendor is a strong game with simple rules and gameplay, that any family could enjoy, I think.

Red7 is a fun twist on "card games". Quite light, and inexpensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they really like Trivial Pursuit...then maybe Wits & Wagers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clubs is a great new traditional card game that is about the same weight as Hearts.

Gravwell: Escape from the 9th Dimension is another light, out-think the other guy/girl game.

The Resistance and One Night Ultimate Werewolf are two popular party games where players are trying to guess the bad guy(s).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Splendor You should really look into this for them.

Also, while the game is itself 50 years old, you should look into Acquire.

Going a little further afield, but it is a card game and excellent for 2-4 and for those new to designer games: Dominion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
I haven't tried it but diamonds looks like it might be good. It's been awhile since I've played it, but I remember wizard being a fun trick taking game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Pas
Netherlands
Den Haag
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had some good experience with Ticket to Ride: Europe with familys who like playing cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh you seekers of the new who run terrified from history into the clutches of an eternal life where no electric shaver can be built to last.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Lords of Vegas is a good change of pace on Monopoly night.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Chapman
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Anyway, how's your sex life?
badge
"She said the same thing about waffles."
mbmbmbmbmb
If Pandemic is too much of a stretch complexity wise (in their opinion - obviously, it's no more complex than Monopoly in reality) then you could try Forbidden Desert to introduce them to co-ops.

Depending on the number of people there, I'm going to suggest Hanabi and Tichu (the latter ONLY with four, though).

I'm also going to suggest you take a look at Code 777
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'll add my agreement with Ticket to Ride, Clubs, and Splendor. THey might also consider Diamonds, 12 Days, and some negotiation game, maybe Going Going Gone or Sheriff of Nottingham.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Bad Thoughts wrote:
I'll add my agreement with Ticket to Ride, Clubs, and Splendor. THey might also consider Diamonds, 12 Days, and some negotiation game, maybe Going Going Gone or Sheriff of Nottingham.

Because I like games that are a lot more social sheriff of Nottingham is probably one of my favorite games. It's a game gamers and non gamers can play and enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Lords of Vegas as a Monopoly-killer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dixit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sims
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good next steps after Clue:

Lady Alice : Clue meets Mastermind
Mystery of the Abbey : Clue meets Guess Who?
Mord im Arosa : Audio-Clue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis McCarthy
United States
Idelwylde
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Ticket to Ride
+1 Splendor
+1 Hanabi

How about Quiddler for the Scrabble fans and Wordy Word for the Scattegories / Pictionary crew?

Dragon's Hoard makes a nice Uno replacement.

Love Letter is a fun deduction game, like Clue. Coup is a little more complicated, but really ratchets up the fun, too.

Fluxx is a good light card game.

If Pandemic is too heavy and Forbidden Desert seems to complicated, try their little brother Forbidden Island for co-op goodness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Ticket to Ride, which belongs in every house!

+1 Gravwell, the strategy game that plays like a party game

+1 Splendor, easy to learn; hard to stop playing

+1 Diamonds, the new twist on trick-taking games

+1 Acquire, hotel-building as Monopoly should have been

Don't forget the tried-and-true classic, Catan. It's still a go-to game for players who think every turn must begin with rolling the dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age is pretty fun with dice rolling and placing cave people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say getting Escape: The Curse of the Temple would be good. It is a great modern board game because it is very quick to explain, uses simple iconography, has simultaneous turns, plays in 10 minutes, and overall makes for an interesting game.

Terror in Meeple City (Rampage) is a dexterity game that also is fairly different than what people think of as a board game. You play a city destroying monster eating meeples - you flick a disk to move, can use your own breath as a breath weapon, and throw cards, and so on. It is a very tactile experience, although setup can be a bit lengthy.

You may want to look into some of the 18 card games like Love Letter or social party games like The Resistance or Werewolf. Social interaction, bluffing, and some have deduction involved.

Ticket to Ride is also a light game that is quick to teach. I agree with other's recommendation.

A lot of people like Splendor, and its a decent game but fairly light. I sort of think of it as the phone game, the type of repetitive task that is addictive and you just don't want to stop because you keep getting rewards.

There are lots of others, but I think you have a ton of suggestions to wade through. Good luck choosing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
No reason to find games that are similar to the ones they have because they find them stale. Move a step up instead. For most people the obvious recommended games would be something like Ticket to Ride and The Settlers of Catan but also check out some of the old Reiner Knizia games like Samurai and Tigris and Euphrates. El Grande is another great game in this category

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Diamonds if they like trick-taking games.
+1 for Tsuro

Valley of the Kings -- really nice little deck building game.

I would hesitate for Lords of Waterdeep, only because the theme can put people off (fantasy). Maybe not for the mainstream crowd at first?

Camel Up-- fun for all ages. Easy to teach, play it as simply or as complicated as you like.

If Tokaido is back to being reasonably priced, that's a gentle game with beautiful art.

And I agree, any of the older titles by Renier Knizia are classics now themselves, but some are easier to get than others at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Ticket to Ride, Catan,Suburbia Stone Age, Escape: The Curse of the Temple

Bohnanza - easy, fun, great player interaction
Isla Dorada - underrated, excellent components, easy, fun, good player interaction, thematic.
Carcassonne - always a good a option, high replay value.
Finca - excellent components, easy to learn/play, high replay value, thematic.

Other good options

Africana
Alhambra
Archaeology: The Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damn Dirty Ape!
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
+1 to One Night Ultimate Werewolf Played it for the first time over thanksgiving with the nongamer family, big hit. Best with more people, imo

Letters from Whitechapel could be a Clue substitute, but maybe a little dark for family. I understand Scotland Yard has similar play and is family friendly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily Graves
msg tools
These all sound fantastic! I didn't expect such quick and thorough responses! I cant wait to read up on all the choices and pick a couple for christmas. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily Graves
msg tools
Kwill2 wrote:
I would hesitate for Lords of Waterdeep, only because the theme can put people off (fantasy). Maybe not for the mainstream crowd at first?

Theyre huge fantasy fans so this might be great! I'll definitely check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.