Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Hopefully this hasn't been done before; I'm fairly new here, but I did a couple quick searches and nothing turned up.

So I just moved into a new apartment with my girlfriend. It has a finished basement that we've targeted to turn into a gaming room.

Some context: currently we have a fold-up square table that's not too large, a few chairs, and nothing else. All I've really thought about so far is a better and bigger table, comfier and more chairs, and a proper shelf or shelves for our games (our collection is modest currently but should grow considerably in the next few years).

But I know there are gamers who do a lot more to create a gaming experience with their gaming rooms, and I'm interested in what else I may be able to add to my own. We're in the preparation and brainstorming phase of our planning, so it's a great time to get ideas. It might be something as simple as the type of table/shelf that might work well, or it might be cosmetic or aesthetic touches.

I may also be overthinking this. Analysis paralysis should be my gaming nickname, and this may be me doing the same. But in any case...

Topics for Discussion (suggested only)

- If you have one, what sorts of things do you have in your game room? Is there something that works particularly well?

- What would you love to add to it (other than more games)?

- What was the best game room or game shop you've played in? How did it create a gaming ambiance or atmosphere?

- Post pictures if you're able. It will be cool to see others' gaming caves!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Gregorio
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just thinking about this, today, as well. I would LOVE to get a gaming table from geekchic.com (like http://geekchichq.com/the-minimalist-gaming-table.html).

My games are simply on cheap Target bookshelves, which seem to work, but doesn't look good as I would want.

I'm curious what other people use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
Giant Fire Breathing Robot
badge
gfbrobot.com
mbmbmbmbmb
mawilson4 wrote:
Topics for Discussion (suggested only)

- If you have one, what sorts of things do you have in your game room? Is there something that works particularly well?

- What was the best game room or game shop you've played in? How did it create a gaming ambiance or atmosphere?

There are two things that make gaming rooms great: things that make gaming easier, and atmosphere.

For easier gaming, you really want to make sure you have adequate lighting. A lot of games can be marred when tan and brown, or blue and purple look to similar under poor lighting.

If you allow eating, I've found that little side tables, even those little TV trays, work great at keeping spills and food away from the game.

As for atmosphere, puting up game related artwork is phenominal. In mine, I have several prints from the Sentinels of the Multiverse kickstarters up. I also have cut the box faces off of several expansion boxes (which I would otherwise throw out) and then hang those up as well. It really makes it feel like a place for games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mb

Ikea furnishings. For the longest time, and when I lived in apartments, I used a $25 metal-and-plastic folding table from a big-box office retailer. I still have it 20 years later.

From where I took the photo, there is now a leather chair, which I use for reading. My wife handled the installation.

Models, figurines, film posters, old game maps, artwork. Whatever you're into, decorate appropriately.

I dug up some WWII aviation artwork I bought at the Wright Patterson AFB gift shop on a family trip back in the 1980s. They were perfect for my room.

If I were a transportation gamer, I'd go for vintage travel posters from the 1930s. I have some "Star Wars" prints from the 1970s, which would also go well in another room.

You'll find these threads all over BGG, as I have, in time.

Good luck and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some years ago, we put up shelving that hangs from brackets attached to a metal bars on the wall. The shelves are 18" deep, and about 4' long, and I have two units on one wall, making the entire 10' wall floor to ceiling shelving. It was originally for books, but now it is fantastic for games. And they are adjustable! I have regular shelving cases along the bottom.

I use a smaller dining room table (like a kitchen table size) that I replaced with a larger one for our main dining room some time ago, but makes a great game table.

It's a spare room so has a regular large window to let in light.

I love my game room -- of course now we don't have a guest room, but I don't get many overnight visitors, so it doesn't matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaming cave.

I would imagine it comes down to room and where it is located. Mine is in the basement. Down there it was a must to have a fridge for drinks. TV trays are a must, too (as noted above) along with decent lighting above table(s). The last two I mention are regardless of room size.

I do have some gaming-related stuff around and up. Wooden abstracts, Crokinole board, a print or two. I have a set of dice (half a foot sq) and a large domino (and a card chip and dip set).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
ALLLGooD wrote:
I was just thinking about this, today, as well. I would LOVE to get a gaming table from geekchic.com (like http://geekchichq.com/the-minimalist-gaming-table.html).

My games are simply on cheap Target bookshelves, which seem to work, but doesn't look good as I would want.

I'm curious what other people use.

I had never seen that website. Some truly awesome stuff, though yeah, a bit beyond my current price range. Thanks though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
geekInsight wrote:
There are two things that make gaming rooms great: things that make gaming easier, and atmosphere.

For easier gaming, you really want to make sure you have adequate lighting. A lot of games can be marred when tan and brown, or blue and purple look to similar under poor lighting.

If you allow eating, I've found that little side tables, even those little TV trays, work great at keeping spills and food away from the game.

As for atmosphere, puting up game related artwork is phenominal. In mine, I have several prints from the Sentinels of the Multiverse kickstarters up. I also have cut the box faces off of several expansion boxes (which I would otherwise throw out) and then hang those up as well. It really makes it feel like a place for games.

bop517 wrote:
Gaming cave.

I would imagine it comes down to room and where it is located. Mine is in the basement. Down there it was a must to have a fridge for drinks. TV trays are a must, too (as noted above) along with decent lighting above table(s). The last two I mention are regardless of room size.

I do have some gaming-related stuff around and up. Wooden abstracts, Crokinole board, a print or two. I have a set of dice (half a foot sq) and a large domino (and a card chip and dip set).

Good considerations, gracias. And yeah, we'll be allowing eating. I suppose a mini fridge should be added to my list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mawilson4 wrote:

I've got one. It has a foosball table, an 8-player langame room, 3 game tables, a band setup (2 guitars, drums, bass, keyboard, microphones), a small bar, a TV-watching area (with a game-sized coffee table), and a treadmill with very few miles on it. I'd like to someday put fancier game tables into it, and the tv needs an upgrade (it's 50" but only 720p).

Pete (can't take pictures without first cleaning up a lot)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just started a game cave. Here are some timelapse vids of the setup:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Born-of-Ashes wrote:
I just started a game cave. Here are some timelapse vids of the setup

You fitted all 943 games in that small space - wow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you just want to have adequate space to play on and decent seating. I play regularly on those plastic elongated tables and think they are perfect. The chairs need to be somewhat good, but don't have to be expensive. I got a bunch on Amazon that are metal and padded for around 30 each.

I've seen some easy homemade tables here on this site that are great. I would be afraid to get a geekchic table. Not only is that money that could be going to games, but if it got damaged, any owner would be ticked.

Not to derail the topic, but you live an hour from me...do you go to CABS?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
MyParadox wrote:
I also have cut the box faces off of several expansion boxes (which I would otherwise throw out) and then hang those up as well. It really makes it feel like a place for games.

Oooh, I like this idea!

There are definitely a few expansion boxes I regret having thrown out now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
plezercruz wrote:
I've got one. It has a foosball table, an 8-player langame room, 3 game tables, a band setup (2 guitars, drums, bass, keyboard, microphones), a small bar, a TV-watching area (with a game-sized coffee table), and a treadmill with very few miles on it. I'd like to someday put fancier game tables into it, and the tv needs an upgrade (it's 50" but only 720p).

surprise

Wow! THREE game tables? EIGHT player LAN room?! AND a bar?!! This sounds like Bruce Wayne's gaming cave!

Steve (has logically deduced that Pete is Batman)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

surprise

Wow! THREE game tables? EIGHT player LAN room?! AND a bar?!! This sounds like Bruce Wayne's gaming cave!

Steve (has logically deduced that Pete is Batman)
It's a really big basement, and for some reason, my wife has something of an aversion to basements, so it's pretty much all mine.

Pete (might have to clean up and take pictures now)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Secrest
United States
Clarksville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

Pete (might have to clean up and take pictures now)

Yup.whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendy Reischl

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Attached is my fledgling game room. I currently have Mr. Spock and some Gen Con swag up on the walls. The crown jewel (besides the collection of games) is my solid wood drop leaf table that I got off of craigslist. $100 with four chairs--I'd probably pay $100 just to get four new folding chairs--so I highly suggest craigslist or freecycle for getting your furniture or shelving.

The other things important in a game room that not as many people think about to start: right temperature and easy access to get up and move around (to bathroom/get snacks). If players are blocked in by overly large furniture for the space then it is much less comfortable because you have to disturb other players in order to get up to get something.

+1 good lighting
+1 folding tables for drinks and snacks

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesbook wrote:
Born-of-Ashes wrote:
I just started a game cave. Here are some timelapse vids of the setup

You fitted all 943 games in that small space - wow!

Sadly, no. 110 of them are still at my parent's house and almost 50 are sitting on the floor without enough shelf space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
rayzor6 wrote:
I think you just want to have adequate space to play on and decent seating. I play regularly on those plastic elongated tables and think they are perfect. The chairs need to be somewhat good, but don't have to be expensive. I got a bunch on Amazon that are metal and padded for around 30 each.

I've seen some easy homemade tables here on this site that are great. I would be afraid to get a geekchic table. Not only is that money that could be going to games, but if it got damaged, any owner would be ticked.

Not to derail the topic, but you live an hour from me...do you go to CABS?

Just moved to the area, so I don't even know what that acronym means. Yet, at least. So...maybe eventually?

{edit} ok, just Googled it, and yes, I had briefly looked into it before moving to the area. So I haven't attended any CABS stuff yet, but I likely will once I'm fully settled. Perhaps after the holidays.

plezercruz wrote:

This sounds badass. I'd love to include a couple of these in mine.

RPGchick wrote:

Attached is my fledgling game room. I currently have Mr. Spock and some Gen Con swag up on the walls. The crown jewel (besides the collection of games) is my solid wood drop leaf table that I got off of craigslist. $100 with four chairs--I'd probably pay $100 just to get four new folding chairs--so I highly suggest craigslist or freecycle for getting your furniture or shelving.

The other things important in a game room that not as many people think about to start: right temperature and easy access to get up and move around (to bathroom/get snacks). If players are blocked in by overly large furniture for the space then it is much less comfortable because you have to disturb other players in order to get up to get something.

+1 good lighting
+1 folding tables for drinks and snacks

Have fun!

I lol'd at the Spock standup.

I've had mixed success with Craigslist, and the girlfriend has an affinity for Meier (for some reason), so I may not go that route. But I'll definitely check it out. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Rudolph
Canada
Langdon
Alberta
flag msg tools
GIR, quickly, ride the pig!
badge
Yaaaaaay! I don't know what you just said!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've kept a blog about our games room over the past year that might be useful: Evolution of a Games Room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wilson
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Arkeas wrote:
I've kept a blog about our games room over the past year that might be useful: Evolution of a Games Room.

This is great, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.