GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,324 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Dungeons & Dragons: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: OP2 and Blind Booster Release to store date?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scourn1
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Any store owners who are running this know when you might be getting them in this month?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lyons
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Current projected street date is 12/31.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Kirkman
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lyonhawk wrote:
Current projected street date is 12/31.

Correct. Wave Two even closer- on the 17th. Time to fire off some letters to Santa!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bors
msg tools
Has that date been confirmed? None of the online stores have that date and my local store says that we know before he does. CSI even has wave 3 coming before wave 2. So maybe some info confirmed by wizkids should be forthcoming? TBH with the amount of publicity or lack there of about not only this game but that OP tells me that Wizkids couldn't give a crap about this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Kirkman
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bors77 wrote:
Has that date been confirmed? None of the online stores have that date and my local store says that we know before he does. CSI even has wave 3 coming before wave 2. So maybe some info confirmed by wizkids should be forthcoming? TBH with the amount of publicity or lack there of about not only this game but that OP tells me that Wizkids couldn't give a crap about this game.

I'm confirming it for you. I'm a game store owner, and WizKids products come exclusively through a distributor named Alliance. Those dates I just mentioned are straight from the distributor. As with any game, all dates are subject to change, but those are official dates.

Not really sure I'd agree that WK "doesn't give a crap" about this game. I agree the nebulous release dates for reasons only known to WK and/or Alliance are frustrating, but by the same token we've got both game designers in this forum providing Rosewater-plus levels of interaction. Their rules forum has a good turnaround time (1 day), and they even headhunted an exceedingly handsome, charming BGG poster to write articles about the game for their official site (*ahem*).

DAW I think had a higher bar than most launches get. I've had a few folks balk because they already bought a bunch of the D&D minis and feel like they would be re-buying what they already got. WE all know it's an amazing game, we'll just keep after spreading the word!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lyons
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
The release date issues are being caused by port labor disputes at west coast ports. Other companies have been affected as well. It's been an issue most of the summer and into the holiday season now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bors
msg tools
Well thanks for the confirmation of the release dates! However, IMHO why I dont think Wizkids care about this games is not due the developers being involved on the Geek or asking you to write articles (congrats BTW) but rather in their marketing department.
For example there are no posters for the OP tourney yet there certainly are for other games that compete with this such as X-wing. Also it seems like everyone promotes X-men dice masters (another Wizkids games) but talking to games store owners they dont believe that WizKids will fully support this game and so they have either put next to no effort in putting a tourney together or they dont even promote the game at all (As is the case for the biggest store in my city.) Wizkids need to show why this game competes with X-wing and they need to promote the heck out of this game instead of relying on word of mouth.
A second way they are detracting from their own game is to not set aside a prize from the OP's for the judges. When they have no incentive to spend hours learning the rules, promoting the OP, and then judging the OP, why will even bother judging?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Kirkman
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lyonhawk wrote:
The release date issues are being caused by port labor disputes at west coast ports. Other companies have been affected as well. It's been an issue most of the summer and into the holiday season now.

Gotcha! I'd somehow thought that got resolved, but even if it had perhaps I underestimated the ripple effect. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Kirkman
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bors77 wrote:
For example there are no posters for the OP tourney yet there certainly are for other games that compete with this such as X-wing.

You've got me dead to rights here: as a store owner, I'd love a few posters to put up in the store. I'll nudge my WK contact on that, it's an excellent point.

As for the judge rewards, I'm divided on that. I've put in LOADS of hours DM'ing D&D 5th Ed in my shop, and the only reward I get is:

* XP for a character I'll never use (I don't play, I just DM- been that way my whole life)
* A Bag of Holding special item I'll also never use (see above)

And yet I don't hear a lot of voices expressing the sentiment that DM's are undercompensated. But I get that no small number of folks are disappointed in the change from how STAW has done it, and have (understandably) shaped their expectations based on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wispur Kultus
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bors77 wrote:

A second way they are detracting from their own game is to not set aside a prize from the OP's for the judges. When they have no incentive to spend hours learning the rules, promoting the OP, and then judging the OP, why will even bother judging?

This part hits home.

I just ran an OP today, and I felt the need to play in it if I wanted to win a white dragon, which I feel is less than optimal, given I was also the TO. I got third. Luckily for me, the store's owner appreciated the work I put into setting up the OP, promoting it (making posters and such), and running it, so he awarded me the Fellowhsip Dragon. He also made it clear he wouldn't always be doing that.

So yeah, in the future, I'll be creating promotional materials for the event, running and judging the event, and quite likely walking away with nothing for my efforts. Wheee.

Don't get me wrong, I had a GREAT time! I think we all did, but still...

Other companies show love to the people who run events. After all, those are often the people who are also building the community. I wish Wizkids would do the same for this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bors
msg tools
@Jay Thanks for continuing the conversation

I would say the main difference between you DMing D&D 5th is that you are not presiding over a competition and there are not actual physical rewards for what you do (although I do hope your group shows you appreciation in some way or another). TO be a judge for this game you are presiding over a competition (with actual prizes) and with a game that you are most likely invested in but may not get to play competitively as you would like if at all. The judges put a lot of work in and I think they should be rewarded in some way or another even if it is just because they are an ambassador for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max POWER
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bors77 wrote:
@Jay Thanks for continuing the conversation

I would say the main difference between you DMing D&D 5th is that you are not presiding over a competition and there are not actual physical rewards for what you do (although I do hope your group shows you appreciation in some way or another). TO be a judge for this game you are presiding over a competition (with actual prizes) and with a game that you are most likely invested in but may not get to play competitively as you would like if at all. The judges put a lot of work in and I think they should be rewarded in some way or another even if it is just because they are an ambassador for the game.

Totally agree with this. While judging is/can be a rewarding experience, it can also be a hassle/pain in the butt. Then to say that the judge doesn't get a chance at the OP prize unless he/she plays just encourages playing in the event he judges leading to potentially compromised judging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wake Drannor
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
At my shop, we just treat it exactly the same way as the STAW events. One prize for judge, one prize for first place, one prize for fellowship. Done and done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.