GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,176 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Polis: Fight for the Hegemony» Forums » General

Subject: Playing time and question on second edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julio

Hidalgo
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing time in the BGG page says 90 minutes, the rules states 150 which one is correct?

Also does the second edition is English language exclusively or have English and Spanish as the first edition?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Webb
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Second edition is English only.

Play time from my experience is 90-120. And this was with new players. Though it could go longer with more AP players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think of myself as a slow player but we played our first game today and it went 4+ hours and we did not finish.

The turns went fast but the rounds seemed to drag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Webb
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
I don't think of myself as a slow player but we played our first game today and it went 4+ hours and we did not finish.

The turns went fast but the rounds seemed to drag.

I would venture you got a rule wrong, because I really cant fathom it taking that long. There is only so much prestige you can use. Did you get to 5B atleast?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We got to the start of 5B.

We did not seem to have a problem generating Prestige. Taking cities can be almost self sustaining. Plus, battles can net you a few as well.

I think we fought more than a typical game. Our cities all had relatively low pop. Being wargamers, we played it like a wargame....whistle The one rule we absolutely screwed up was that Sparta goes first in land and Athens on sea. That led to a vicious circle that as soon as a player aggregated 3 or more military units in a hex, the other player immediately descended upon it.

Just out of curiosity, is it typical to spend most/all your prestige each turn, or do you tend to have a growing bank account. We usually spent every last penny each turn....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Webb
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You spend most of it, but you do need to plan for how much you will have at the start of the next turn.

Even with low population when you attack a city you use the fortification level to siege it, not the current population. So it shouldn't have been that easy to keep taking over cities unless you rolled really well, or just kept trading Thessalia. But you would have to be in control of it to siege it each time as well.

And if players only had 3 units in a location then you would not have been able to initiate combat in the first 2 rounds.

You can spend all your Prestige each round if you will generate more during the end of round. But if you do not generate any during end of round and have 0 you will lose.

The games I have played have not been super heavy on battles, so it very well could be that the game takes a long time when you do a lot of battles. But in that case I don't see your unit count holding up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.