GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,109 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: Optional Rules revisited (or part 2) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cotton Donkey
Canada
Milton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Instead of Necrothreading the old thread, (and since the old one was done before anyone had the game, I think), I thought I'd post a new one.

Out of curiousity, has anyone been using any of the Optional Rules? And if so, which ones?

I have played 7 sessions so far.
For the first 3, I didn't use any optional rules, and didn't mix the sets.

Since then I've mixed the 2 sets, (except Loot Cards/Scavenge Cards/Exploration Tokens as per the recommended intention of mixing the core sets, and immediately started using:

1. Advanced Encounters

I've enjoyed it thematically and it adds that bit of extra challenge, since it is an added encounter to the exploration token.
What I've done though, is seperated the specific room encounters and keep them seperate.
There seems to be enough encounters to keep things going, and I believe we're getting more in wave 2.

What I'm going to try next:

2. Dangerous Dynamite

I haven't tried this yet, but I am going to have this in effect from now on.
Haven't been damaged more then 10 yet, while carrying Dynamite either, but with leveling up, and the monsters getting stronger, even though it's still circumstancial, there will be a greater chance of it happening.

3. Themed Threat decks

Really, I don't think I'll do this until Wave 2. So it will be a while before I post this. But I'm sure by then, it will be a new thread with what type of themes players are making.

---------------------------------

And in case anyone is curious on my success/failure rate:

sessions:

•No Optional Rules used•
1- Posse of 4 - Fistfull of Darkstone - Success
2- Posse of 3 - For a Few Darkstone More - Failed
3- Posse of 5 - For a Few Darkstone More - Failed

•Advanced Encounters used•
4- Posse of 4 - For a Few Darkstone More - Failed
5- Posse of 2 - Search Party - Failed
6- Posse of 4 - Swamps of Jargono - Success
7- Posse of 4 - City of the Ancients - Success
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Romans
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just the Advanced Encounters. I also take out the advanced encounters and put them aside for when the tile is drawn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Old thread here.

I have played a little over 20 games at this point. The ones I use are:

Advanced Encounters: Every time, including the first game. I like it and haven't found it to be troublesome or repetitive at all.

Under the Darkness: Also every game so far, although I forgot to apply it a couple of times here and there.

Ones I haven't used yet:

Themed threat decks: I agree that this will be a better option once more content comes out. I will certainly use this at some point.

Hardcore mode: Not sure I'll ever use this one. KO's don't happen that often after 1st level, although I haven't played much against Brutal monsters yet. I've never had a single KO at 2nd through 4th level. I don't see any point punishing 1st level characters, and it seems like a bad idea to punish high level characters, so this is low on the list of things to try.

Fixed move: I'll never use it, unless the Dark Stone turns me into some kind of whiny cube-pusher.
snore

Dangerous Dynamite: I don't see the point. Dynamite is useful at 1st level, and much less important afterwards. Again, I don't think it's necessary to penalize low-level characters. I guess I might use it at some point, but I'd most likely forget to apply it anyway. Possibly more useful in a solo hero game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cotton Donkey
Canada
Milton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Under the Darkness.
I should put that one down for applying to my future games as well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Kirk
United States
St. Louis
MO
flag msg tools
We did a no revival variant where you roll a peril die when you die and that's how many turns you have for your mates to save you or you're dead and out of the game permanently. We lost a level 3 Marshal and level 3 Preacher and it hurt...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory Cartwright
Australia
Gordon Park
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ckirk314 wrote:
We did a no revival variant where you roll a peril die when you die and that's how many turns you have for your mates to save you or you're dead and out of the game permanently. We lost a level 3 Marshal and level 3 Preacher and it hurt...

I like this one.

We play under the darkness, and we play without Revival tokens (no matter the number of characters).

I've started creating custom epic threats out of my Warmachine collection. So far I have prototype rules for a Dire Troll (Mauler) and Alexia Ciannor and her Risen (including a custom artifact of Witchfire if the heroes manage to take her down).

If anyones interested in them I can upload them on BGG- was planning on waiting until we tested them first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skipper Skillman

Alabama
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, I'd be interested to see what you have come up with. I haven't bought in yet, but the ability to expand the worlds is looking good. Troll kin models Might actually find a use for my Trollkin models or eventually my old Tyranids from the dark ages.

What size squares are the grids?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Crawford - Greybeard
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:
Fixed move: I'll never use it, unless the Dark Stone turns me into some kind of whiny cube-pusher.
snore

AMEN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.