GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,715 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Firefly: The Game – Pirates & Bounty Hunters» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Ways to counter Sash's hand cannon? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy Bob
United States
Beachwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
We usually play with 3 people, perhaps we play with two few, but it seems like little can counter the hand cannon, I know there's the pistol in blue sun, but that's countered by the hand cannon and the koshered gun.

How do you guys deal with it? Perhaps my playgroup is just bad (for awhile we couldn't counter silverhold).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Statarius

Citrus Heights
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only decent counters I know of are the Model B and Emma/Lucy/Helen/LoveBot, but with the girls you have to spend half your turn using an action to re-gruntle your Cap'n.

All hail the conquering Hand Cannon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joey shelt
msg tools
FENDRIS and/or a crew member with MORALE BOOSTER.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Statarius

Citrus Heights
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes there are effective counters, but $800 is just too little for an often-Kingmaking item.
Lol We even tried letting Meadows take the Disgruntle bullets.

Ultimately our group enacted a treaty regarding the Hand Cannon's OP-ness, eliminating its text and reducing it's price from $800 to $600.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What if you house-ruled it so it could only Disgruntle a leader who was not already Disgruntled?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Poor
United States
Dexter
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We have decided that we all hate the Hand Cannon as well; ridiculously OP. We have not house ruled it yet, but I like the suggestion to take away it's text. As it is, anyone who picks it up is automatically everyone else's #1 target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Poor
United States
Dexter
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
...and I forgot to add, since boarding it one of the few ways that you can affect another player, being the #1 target doesn't really mean too much. And having 1 card in the whole game (Mal's Pistol) that is a counter to this beast is simply not balanced.

Although I usually say that balance is not critical since everyone has the same chance to get anything, this one thing is essentially the random factor that unbalances the game when it appears. Better to rule it down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rather
msg tools
mbmbmb
The last game I had the Hand Cannon, it was effectively neutralized by a player who were simply careful to make sure his captain didn't stay disgruntled for long. If he took an immoral job (he had Nandi and we were playing Niska's Holiday) he made sure it was on a supply planet and that he did his Work action first so that he could follow-up with a Buy action and Shore Leave.

It was frustrating for me, because I was lurking within range in hopes of swooping in (this may have caused me to lose, since I fell just a little behind on the Goals), but it was also frustrating for him because it slowed him down.

We both agreed that it was frustrating in a good way, though. We found it interesting how a piece of gear could cause us to vary our tactics. A good time was had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.