GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,890 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Thunder Alley» Forums » General

Subject: Next racing game after Thunder Alley rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raf
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
I'm a big fan of Thunder Alley and am looking to acquire another racing game or two to add to the collection. Some of the below games are also gambling games, which is another genre I do enjoy (Manila, Lords of Vegas).

Any thoughts as to what would complement Thunder Alley. My shortlist is below:

Winner's Circle
Turfmaster
Horse Fever
Leader 1: Hell of the North
Breaking Away
Rallyman
Long Shot
Detroit-Cleveland Grand Prix
Das Motorsportspiel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
How about a solo-playing Nascar race simulator?

Red White & Blue Racin' Stock Car Action Game

It is less of a "racing game" and more of a "let's see how this narrative plays out" game, but still scratches the stock-car racing itch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
I love racing games, and have tried out a lot... Here are the ones I love and why.

Powerboats- simple rules, SEEMINGLY simple plays, but the strategy grows as you understand the game more. Plays fast, and "feels" the most like a race (many race games take forever and you lose the sense of speed) - very quick turns and each race goes fast. Very sadly out of print...

Rallyman - To do well in this game you've got to learn to drive well... picking the best line will make a huge difference. There's a thread in the forums where someone posted a track as a puzzle to determine (assuming EVERYTHING went optimally) what the best possible time would be - I worked on it for about 30 minutes, trimming here and there, and then checked the record - mine was something like 5min 30sec, and the record was 3min 50sec. I went BACK to the drawing board and came up with a path that was a minute faster, but then had to look at other's solutions to find out how to trim that last bit of time away. In addition to this puzzle-like approach, there's times where you have to risk it big to eek out that little bit more - and that little bit is often what wins the race. It doesn't sacrifice good skill at the cost of randomness - it's got both.

The Grand Prix game (there's a few different versions around) has a similar feel of pushing yours and other cars around, trying to do the best for yours while not helping others. There's an interesting auction mechanic and your goal is to make the most money, so finishing first is helpful, but not the only thing. Thunder Alley has replaced this one for me though...

I think you'd like Winner's Circle best out of the games involving betting...

Also on my short list are Das Motorsportspiel (your turn is timed, and you can't move the car backwards once you've moved it forward on the track) and Snow Tails (you've got to manage your dog sled team - stronger on one side or the other to turn, equal to go straight).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vez A
Germany
Kiel
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
One of the most innovative racing games of the recent times Race! Formula 90 is well worth a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mach
United States
Lindley
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Win, Place & Show
Snow Tails
Circus Maximus
Speed Circuit

Other than snow tails they are older games but still very good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May I suggest this game: Race! Formula 90
Absolut one of the best racing games I've played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Swift
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is only one game worthy to follow Thunder alley and that game is .... Race! Formula 90 This is the best racing game I've played... by far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daytona 500 for an oldie, but goody and stays with NASCAR theme.

Savannah Tails is a simple, but one that I really enjoy (and where else can you play as a racing ostrich?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Tricoire
France
flag msg tools
mb
Slotracer wrote:
May I suggest this game: Race! Formula 90
Absolut one of the best racing games I've played.

I aggree.

It's not quite simple to learn rules but once you've got it, it's brillant.

Race F90 and Thunder alley are my best motor racing games ever. In 2 very different styles.

TurfMaster is a great Horse racing game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Blazquez Garcia
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Mike: Race! Formula 90 and TurfMaster are two great racing games, specially the first one. It can be difficult going through the rules but it worths a try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think that the 3M edition of Speed Circuit (the one that doesn't use any dice, tables, or chance cards) is the best racing game ever. It's just driver against driver. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Horger
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Breaking Away is my 2nd Favorite Racing Game. Love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Thomsen
United States
Medway
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Quicksilver and think it makes a nice change of pace from TA.

The art on the cards is some of the best I've seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.