United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you've started unlocking the various expansions in Tuscany, this is the place to list (a) your chosen unlock method and (b) the order in which you unlock the expansions as it's happening. You can edit your comment on an ongoing basis, as Tuscany will probably take a while to fully unlock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernst Juergen Ridder
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1st game (pnp-version):
mamas&papas plus patronage

2nd game (pnp-version):
mamas&papas, patronage, properties, adv. visitors plus extended board (side 1),

3rd game (pnp-version):
Mamas&Papas
Properties
Patronage
adv. Visitors
new visitors
extended board (side 1)
special workers (politico, farmer)

4th game (pnp-version):
all expansions of tiers #1 an #2.

Additionally I've played some games solo, adding the various modules step by step as supposed in the rules. It's not so easy to win a solo game.

After getting Complete Coll.Ed.:

1st game: all expansions of tier #1
2nd game: tier #1 + extended board (side 1) + new visitors
3rd game: tier #1 + tier #2 compl.
4th game: tier #1 + tier #2 + Formaggio
5th game will be: tier #1 + tier #2 + Arboriculture

Add. I've played some Automa games (campaign).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Pezzato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
androgeus wrote:
1st game (pnp-version):
mamas&papas plus patronage

2nd game (pnp-version):
mamas&papas, patronage, properties, adv. visitors plus extended board (side 1),

3rd game (pnp-version):
Mamas&Papas
Properties
Patronage
adv. Visitors
new visitors
extended board (side 1)
special workers (politico, farmer)

4th game (pnp-version):
all expansions of tiers #1 an #2.

Additionally I've played some games solo, adding the various modules step by step as supposed in the rules. It's not so easy to win a solo game.

What's your favourite configuration?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernst Juergen Ridder
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a little bit difficult to answer, because up to now I've played only the pnp-version of Tuscany. But I think, my favourite will be the base game combined will all the modules of Tuscany tiers #1 and #2, occasionally expanded by one of the modules of tier #3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ieoor db
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1st game:
mamas&papas, patronage, properties, adv. visitors, new visitors, extended board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far for my copy it has unlocked as follows:

pre-game 1: Mamas and Papas
game 1 (I won): advanced visitors
game 2 (Adam V won): property expansion
[unlocked extended board, violating the rules of nature]
game 3 (I won): structure expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found out I'm getting the game tomorrow, I'm reserving my spot to post our unlock list.

Game 3: Per Rahdo unlock method we unlocked the Advanced Visitors, my wife scored exactly 20 points to win (I was one turn from scoring 21).

Game 4: Per Rahdo unlock method we unlocked the Property tiles. I won the game, not only with one field planted, but with only one Pinot vine planted for the entire game. 20-17. I call it "The Pinot Strategy"

Game 6: Per Rahdo unlock method we unlocked the Patronage cards. I won with 0 residuals, having never delivered a wine order. Every turn I took 1 point on the turn order track, had a cottage and Tasting Room, and just got points from cards and giving tours every turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Garcia
Canada
St. Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my game history:
game 1: 5 player game of Viticulture Vanilla (No expansions). 3rd place
games 2-4: Solo games of Viticulture (No expansions) all losses.
game 5: Solo game with Mama's & Papa's expansion(1st time played solo properly. Thank you Barry Doublet for video. Still a Loss)
game 6: 4 player game with Mama's & Papas expansion. 3rd place.
games 7-9: Solo games with Mama's & Papa's expansion. Still losses.
game 10: 2 player with Mama's and Papa's expansion. I won. YAY!!
game 11: 2 player with Mama's & Papa's and Advanced Visitors expansions. I won again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Davedude77 wrote:

While there's no technical issues with playing against the Automa with just the base game, it will be very hard, and it's intended to be played with at least one expansion (I recommend starting with Mamas and Papas) which will make things easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Garcia
Canada
St. Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
Davedude77 wrote:

While there's no technical issues with playing against the Automa with just the base game, it will be very hard, and it's intended to be played with at least one expansion (I recommend starting with Mamas and Papas) which will make things easier.

Yeah, I thought the same thing while playing games 2-4. That's why game 5 says that I finally played it proper. shake

When I initially played against Automa I only read the section of the Tuscany rulebook about Automa. Unfortunately I didn't notice anything there stating that fact. Then before I played the 5th game, I watched the video on BGG made by Barry Doublet and I noticed a few errors I was making. Since then I've been playing the correct way, but I'm still loosing. cry But that's okay though, if I were to win easily, it wouldn't be any fun and I would have had all the expansions opened by now.

Thank you so much for creating the Automa, Morten. As I've said I really don't mind loosing games. It's not the winning that counts, it's the playing that counts, and Viticulture/Tuscany is a GREAT game. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drinky Drinky
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Mr. Cat. Hold on I think I know my next move, just give me another minute....NO!!!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
0.9) Technically we owned Arboriculture from the KS version.
1) Mamas and the Papas (draw 2 of each and keep 1).
2) Extended Board (This one may be permanent in all games now).
3) Special Workers

So far things we have noticed:

1) Apparently many vinyard parents die young.
2) For special workers we were disappointed the Mafioso didn't do the bumping and instead the Chef's do. If anyone is going to bump anyone off it is going to be the Mafioso.

TANGENT: Concerning Arboriculture, I am guessing the replacement cards replace the old KS cards for Arboriculture? old cards are just box text instead of banner text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, the new visitors replace the old ones for Arboriculture. They're more balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Davedude77 wrote:
Yeah, I thought the same thing while playing games 2-4. That's why game 5 says that I finally played it proper. shake

When I initially played against Automa I only read the section of the Tuscany rulebook about Automa. Unfortunately I didn't notice anything there stating that fact. Then before I played the 5th game, I watched the video on BGG made by Barry Doublet and I noticed a few errors I was making. Since then I've been playing the correct way, but I'm still loosing. cry But that's okay though, if I were to win easily, it wouldn't be any fun and I would have had all the expansions opened by now.

Thank you so much for creating the Automa, Morten. As I've said I really don't mind loosing games. It's not the winning that counts, it's the playing that counts, and Viticulture/Tuscany is a GREAT game. thumbsup

Yeah, we should have made it more clear in the rules that the difficulty is tuned for at least one expansion.

And thank you very much for the kind words .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
mbmbmbmbmb
While I have played before on a PnP version, I received my official copy over the holidays and played my first two games against Automa. For both, I included Mamas and Papas and lost quite decisively. As I've played through this all before, I think I'm going to add in more of Tier 1 and speed things up a bit, but I'm having an awfully good time playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played twice more tonight. I added Advanced Visitors and Property. I won against Automa with a score of 24 (vs. 23 for the aggressive variant). In game 4 I added Patronage and scored 24 again (a loss this time against the aggressive score of 24).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing a solo campaign, have done two games so far. I've only played a learning game with absolutely nothing added in against the Automa as far as my experience level, started with the Mamas and Papas for the campaign. It's tough to hit that 20 mark!

Game 1: Loss, 9-20. +1 bonus token.

Game 2 (+1 bonus): Loss, 11-20. +1 bonus token.

Game 3 (+2 bonus): Loss, 18-20. +1 bonus token. It should be noted I got utterly screwed by the Automa; I needed two actions to set up for the last turn win, and both of them got taken--my poor Grande could only help out on one. Such a jerk.

Game 4 (+3 bonus): Loss, 17-20. +1 bonus token. So close this time! If I had pulled the next vine card I would have had what I needed to fill the sparkling wine order.

Game 5 (+4 bonus): Win, 22-20. Patronage uncorked. Ha, finally did it! I knew I was going to win at least a turn out, too. Of course, I realized later that I actually needed two spaces to win not one, so if both had been taken I would have been SOL. Had an amazing brain-burning round involving the extra worker, a winter visitor that let me do two actions, filling two different orders (one of which involved creating a sparkling wine on the same turn), and some serious planning on the timing of actions. I had it all planned out then almost played it wrong (had to "rewind" a couple times, especially when I realized I had an extra bonus token and didn't fully utilize a power, both of which I had planned to use) because the Automa screwed me up and I had to get creative. It was great pulling it off, though.

Game 6: Win, 24-22. Advanced Visitors uncorked. Close game up util the final turn, really. I had a Patronage card that netted me points for having (at least) three different vines planted so I took a chance and got the Windmill early, then gave up a couple points to an Uncertified visitor to build structures in my fields. I almost lost by not activating my Patronage card in time, and realized at the last turn I needed to fulfill that and another wine order to get my points (which of course you can't do in the same year unless you have certain visitors). [Side note: I cheated a little by going back to place I worker I was saving to draw Visitor cards after I remembered that's not an action, but I was going to play it there before anyway, I swear!] Anyway, I was able to uproot some extra vines for points, then managed to pull a winter visitor that let me harvest enough fields so I could make enough wine to fulfill the Patron order and utilize a Judge for the last bit of points I needed.

Game 7: Win, 25-23. Property uncorked. Again wasn't sure I'd make it until the last phase of the last year. I'm glad of the Advanced Visitors and Patronage; without the extra points from those there was no way I could have won, even though I was only able to fulfill the Patronage order for his three VP. Now that the game is opening up and I'm finding more ways to swing those needed points in the last couple years I may implement the Aggressive Automa for the next game and see how that goes. I find I do a lot of what I call "hail Mary years" where, if I don't have an obvious end goal, I use my bonus to either pull extra vines, extra orders, or extra winter visitors and try to make plays off that; the Aggressive Automa will likely put a stop to that and reintroduce some tension back in.

Game 8: Loss, 20-25. +1 bonus. The Aggressive Automa definitely made an impact, keeping me from sacrificing points early to set up bigger late game swings. It's maybe a bit dependent on pulling a couple low level Wine Orders, but I only needed to fill one to keep ahead, plus it forces you to juggle one more thing and pulls you out of your comfort zone. You have to be more efficient and creative enough to hold it off with a couple extra points when winding up for big orders. Also, it kept taking the Property space so I couldn't get my early money. I'll likely keep using it until I win and unlock the Extended Board, then roll back for a game or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ohhh.. I hadn't read this thread before starting my own.

I might keep mine though, I plan to write up something for each game so I don't want to clog this list up.

If you're interested in my thoughts on the uncorking process (during which I have no inner monologue), go here -> http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1294179/ongoing-thoughts...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Berg von Linde
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
Waiting in line for RFTG: Alien Artifacts since 2010
mbmbmbmbmb
1st game: Base Game (back in december, a friend got it for his birthday)

2nd game: all tier 1, all tier 2 and the cheese tier 3 expansion. Worked very well, 4 of us had tried the base game once (game1) and the last guy managed even though it was quite overwhelming to him. So much good stuff in Tuscany. The board didnt feel so complicated compared to the base game, and everybody loved the new wake up mechanism, the new cards and the options in general. Looking forward to next time! Probably with the same setup or with aboraculture for variety
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan McLean
United States
COLORADO SPRINGS
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Method...I think it's the Tier-by-tier

Pre-Play to get back into the Viticulture

Play 1: Mamas and Papas & Advanced Visitors

Play 2: Patronage & Property

Play 3: Tier 1 & Extended Game Board & New Visitors

I think we'll give this another play before we move on, these have already added a lot. I really can't imagine adding everything at once :) This is really awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Berg von Linde
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
Waiting in line for RFTG: Alien Artifacts since 2010
mbmbmbmbmb
One very important thing about 'adding everything at once'. Only do it if you have/are a very experienced game/rule explainer!! Also, only do it with people who play to have fun and experience the game, not with people who absolutely only play to win (I'm sure you know the type). Also, have lots of tuscan red wine and good cheese to enhance the experience

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Merkle
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my normal Automata campaign uncorking order:

Tier 1:
• Mamas and Papas (starting)
• Property - UNCORKED! 2015-01-21
• Advanced Visitors - UNCORKED! 2015-01-22
• Patronage - UNCORKED! 2015-01-23

Tier 2:
• Extended Game Board - UNCORKED! 2015-01-25
• Structures - UNCORKED! 2015-01-26
• New Visitors - UNCORKED! 2015-01-27
• Special Workers - UNCORKED! 2015-02-01

Tier 3:
• Formaggio - UNCORKED! 2015-02-07
• Arboriculture - UNCORKED! 2015-02-23
• Mafia

Normal Campaign:
• COMPLETED! 2015-02-23
• Campaign score: 10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
Feb 9 - The winner of last night's game has chosen Partonage as the first unlock.
Mar 1 - First game with patronage.
Mar 30 - second play with expansion, winner choose Mamas & Papas to add.
May 3 - (scheduled)
June (1st Sunday) - 2nd play w/ M&P, winner uncorked Advanced Visitors
July 5 - first play with advanced visitors - game was much faster with the advantages provided by the new cards
(scheduled) Aug 2 - second play with NV, winner should choose uncork for next game but I believe property is the only Tier 1 left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TradenMyr wrote:
Here is my Automata campaign uncorking plan / status:

Tier 1:
• Mamas and Papas (starting)
• Property - UNCORKED! 2015-01-21
• Advanced Visitors - UNCORKED! 2015-01-22
• Patronage - UNCORKED! 2015-01-23

Tier 2:
• Extended Game Board - UNCORKED! 2015-01-25
• Structures - UNCORKED! 2015-01-26
• New Visitors - UNCORKED! 2015-01-27
• Special Workers - UNCORKED! 2015-02-01

Tier 3:
• Formaggio - UNCORKED! 2015-02-07
• Arboriculture
• Mafia

I'd love to hear your thoughts on playing the Automa version that many games or even better see you write a review of Viticulture+Tuscany from a solo perspective .

If you play by the campaign rules in the rulebook, then please post your score once you've done.

Btw. the Mafia expansion is not supported by Automa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Merkle
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
I'd love to hear your thoughts on playing the Automa version that many games or even better see you write a review of Viticulture+Tuscany from a solo perspective .

If you play by the campaign rules in the rulebook, then please post your score once you've done.

I don't know if I am up to do a review, but I am certainly enjoying my solo playthrough. I opted to only play with placing the Automata at the win marker for each game, and I haven't lost a game yet actually (despite some slow starts and nail-biters)! Makes me wonder if I am actually cheating...

The elegance of the Automata deck makes me happy, and provides for an overall relaxing experiencing, allowing me to savor the taste of each expansion. After I finish this campaign, I will probably play another campaign using the aggressive and moving VP track.

mortenmdk wrote:
Btw. the Mafia expansion is not supported by Automa.

Doh! I am sure I would have figured that out when I got there, but I have crossed it off of my original post. I guess this means I will be moving on to a new campaign sooner!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TradenMyr wrote:
[q="mortenmdk"]I'd love to hear your thoughts on playing the Automa version that many games or even better see you write a review of Viticulture+Tuscany from a solo perspective .

I don't know if I am up to do a review, but I am certainly enjoying my solo playthrough. I opted to only play with placing the Automata at the win marker for each game, and I haven't lost a game yet actually (despite some slow starts and nail-biters)! Makes me wonder if I am actually cheating...

The elegance of the Automata deck makes me happy, and provides for an overall relaxing experiencing, allowing me to savor the taste of each expansion. After I finish this campaign, I will probably play another campaign using the aggressive and moving VP track.{/q]

Thank you for taking the time to post this - I'm very happy to hear that you're enjoying it.

Using the version where you just place the Automa VP marker on the Win space definitely makes the difficulty fairly easy - apart from the first game on the tier one and the first game with the extended board. Personally I greatly prefer playing with the VP scores from the cards, but prefered difficulty is of course extremely subjective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.