United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb

I must confess that I have only played this game twice and just ordered
my own copy I hope to get later this week. Going to try to think of
a solitaire varient.

My initial impression is that a solitare varient might work well considering that the game already plays out in a very individualized
manner, if you take my meaning.

Curious if any fellow players out there may have already thought about
or played a solitaire varient?

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're right, there could be a good solitaire variant for this.

One idea: how about having a fixed number of routes that you are allowed to close per game. If you choose 5 then you can either go for the straight 3,4,5,6,7 carthorses in sequence or you can play to claim some smaller routes to get more houses/bonus chips. You would need to put a limit on the number of failed routes you could scrub though because you could just keep on scrubbing until you get what you want, perhaps only one failed route allowed then if you fail a second it counts against your "closed routes" total limit. Try to beat your best score.

Or, second idea, you could only go through the city card deck once, then record your score.

Mabye you could combine both? The second idea could be a nice "game clock" to prevent you scrubbing too many routes when included with the first idea (and therefore not requiring the failed routes limit).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb

Those are some good ideas.

Another idea on scrubbed routes: Have a certain point penalty
each time you scrub a route. Just wondering what a good penalty
number would be?

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
I Geekmailed this to you Bob but I'll past it here too:

That's an interesting thought. You could make the penalty, e.g., # cards scrubbed + # next available carthorse

So is you scrub a 2 card route and already have your 3 and 4 carthorse, the penalty would by 2+5=7

That would build up the tension near the end but not screw you too badly if you make a mistake at the beginning due to a bad selection of cards. This might be a good idea since the card turnover will be slower in a solitaire game so you may be less likely to get the cards you need turned up.

Anyway, it's fun to think about. I may try this if I get some spare time, let me know if you try it too.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Marso
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Yes I will play around with this once I get my copy!
Hopefully I will have it today.

Wondering if houses left over should still carry the same
penalty?

Have a great starting point with the limit of 5 claimed
rountes and your great formula penalty for snubbed routes.
Not that I will like the formula once it happens, ha ha.

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Cook
United Kingdom
Burton on Trent
Staffs
flag msg tools
badge
I'd agree with everything you were saying, if only you were right...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi both,

I've not thought abut a solitaire variant for this until I've read this thread, but one thing that strikes me is that only routes of 2 cities or less would be scrubbed. If you have a 3+ route you can simply claim it and start a new one.

Maybe the variant needs some kind of limit for scrubbing routes? Alternatively amend the 'aim' of the game to perhaps "lay all your houses before using up the draw deck"?

Just a couple of observations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Waits
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's almost a solitaire game anyway. Just add something to regularly or randomly take away bonus tiles and you're there.

--Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Fullenwider
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
I'm not a moccodity!
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need a point penalty for scrubs IMO; the wasted time/cards is penalty enough if you're only allowed to go through the deck once. You'd just be trying to maximize your score at the end. To make it tougher, and more of a puzzle variant, make it so that you can't use a city in a later route if you already have a house on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.