Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I posted this in the Guns of August entry already, but thought I might get more of a response here.

I'm going to be getting SPI's World War 1. I've done my BGG homework and it looks great for a simple strategic treatment of World War I. I'd also like to get a more detailed game on the war. Inclusion of other theateres beyond Europe (Africa, and Near East) would be a big plus. A lot of strategic and tactical options, without extremely complex rules is another thing I'm looking for. A pretty decent representation of the historical situation would be a third.

Right now my choices look like:

Paths of Glory- very highly praised, readily available new and used, my two biggest reservations are: what look like pretty poorly written and confusing rules with lots of exceptions to exceptions, and 2 from reading on here it sounds like Russia very rarely collapses, and the US very rarely gets involved.

Guns of August- very cheap on ebay. Old school hex and counter. I haven't been able to look at the rules though and it seems like it doesn't include anything beyond Europe.

Death in the Trenches- availabe new at a reasonable price. Rules aren't the best written in the world, but it does seem pretty simple. It does cover the entire world. That map looks absolutely awful though. If I got this, I think I would feel compelled to put the time into making my own.

Any thoughts or reccomendations on these or any other games that fit what I'm looking for? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For games with detail (individual battles), you might look at Clash of Giants (Tannenberg and Marne) and Clash of Giants II (Ypres and Galicia), both from Ted Raicer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Prizzi
United States
West Newton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I'm definitely looking for something that covers the entire war, not just a battle or campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
La Grande Guerre is as meaty as it gets - a substantually more comprehensive experience than any of those you asked about - as is Great War in Europe (on GMT prepub) - although Great War isn't nearly as much a beast as La Grande Guerre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure you're not going to find a game that has absolutely everything you want. I like PoG and Death in the Trenches, myself; I should note that I haven't discovered the True Path for PoG; when I was just plain ol' playing, Russia collapsed often enough and the US typically made it in. I suppose I wouldn't be surprised if Best Play has advanced.

(Interesting question though: Would "best play" historically from both sides have resulted in US entry and Russian collapse? I haven't given it much thought, but it seems at least possible (especially the US Entry part). 'Course, "best play" back then would have required vastly different behavior in the summer of 1914, and presumably we wouldn't have ended up with these games at all as a consequence.)

If you really want WW1 With Everything, plunk down the umpteen hundred dollars for La Grande Guerre.

You may want to hold out for the reprint of The Great War in Europe (and Near East).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't have to be super-serious to have a lot of fun with POG (although you might be frustrated if your opponents are super-serious POGgers). At this point, the revised rulebook should be fine.

I haven't played La Grande Guerre, but my understanding is that it is one of the all-time most super-complex wargames, so take that into consideration.

IMO Guns of August is archaic and dull, and I'm not alone in that opinion.

Couldn't tell ya anything about Death In The Trenches.

The original Great War In Europe was a semi-monster in size, but very playable. Probably about the same complexity level as POG, but more of an old-school hexes 'n' counters design. Look into it if you want to wait for the new edition (or if you find a copy of the original).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
Paths of Glory is a whale of a game. The U.S. can definitely get in and Russia definitely can be collapsed if the players work to make those things happen. The reason those things are rare is because players don't tend to go after those goals.

I'd start with this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flynn
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Look at GMT Games website - it looks like they are doing a re-print of an old WWI Monster game - The Great War in Europe. Should be right up your alley.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill jaffe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
okay question are you talking about the wwi add on kit they did for war in europe. it covers the near east pretty well not as good on africa but that's based on my memory from 10+ yrs when i last played the game

skinsfan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
skinsfan wrote:
okay question are you talking about the wwi add on kit they did for war in europe. it covers the near east pretty well not as good on africa but that's based on my memory from 10+ yrs when i last played the game

skinsfan
shake nope, they're talking upon The Great War in Europe and its add-on of The Great War in the Near East for the most part, when they mention those.

The 'topic' is seemingly gaining new "interests", while a truly all encompassing "game" involving the entire WORLD, has yet to be devised that satisfies anyone. For myself, then I would like see something akin to "Europe at War"-('Jedko'), mated up with "War at Sea/Victory in the Pacific", while being based upon "WW-I".
cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Wagnon
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Cybertronic: Superior by design.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played this game, but it looks like it has what you are looking for, and seems pretty accessible. A bit expensive, but not too bad for a true monster game.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/19003

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
One for the not faint of heart there is the old SPI First World War with it's 2000+ counters and eight (I think) maps. But for a fun WWI game Paths is your best bet. I think the GMT one would be a good one too. I had Guns of August and I ended up trading it because paths was more fun and earier to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Von Ahnen
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite strategic game system for World War II is World in Flames. There is a World War I variant called Fatal Alliances II:

(http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/7735)

I own and have tried Fatal Alliances, which was its previous version. It looks good and has the same system as World in Flames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.