Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG have announced the last pack of the Rogue Squadron cycle: http://fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5239

My question, which probably shows my lack of experience, is how come that Smugglers get what seems to be the best pod yet spoiled from this cycle, when Smugglers are really not the affiliation that needs that much help.

That notwithstanding, the new Falcon looks sweet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait... am I reading this right? That's going to be a five card pod?

Even ignoring that, this pod looks like it's going to do nasty things to your deck. It's got a cost 4 and cost 5 unique in the same resource 1 pod. So it looks somewhat dependent on getting both of those into play in the same time. Independently, Han looks like the more destructive of the pair. The new Falcon actually looks less useful than the old one, at least to me. But if you want to swing the new version of Han, you need to bring it with you. Well Paid helps to offset the cost of playing the units a little, but that's a one shot thing, and if you're using it to pay for the Falcon, you're trading a card for one less resource instead of just swinging with a two res objective...

It looks cool, but I'm not really hyped about it. That "X of 5" thing strikes me as really peculiar though.

EDIT: I should clarify, I'm saying it doesn't look overpowered to me. It still looks fun... if weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StarkeRealm wrote:
Wait... am I reading this right? That's going to be a five card pod?...That "X of 5" thing strikes me as really peculiar though.
It might just be because of the relatively low-res images, but yeah it does look like "X of 5" on the cards. Presumably that's a misprint that will be corrected by the time it goes to print.

The article says there are 2 copies of Well Paid in the set, so it's the standard 6 card size (the objective, Han, Falcon, 2 x Well Paid, Heat).

TheNameWasTaken wrote:
My question, which probably shows my lack of experience, is how come that Smugglers get what seems to be the best pod yet spoiled from this cycle, when Smugglers are really not the affiliation that needs that much help.
Smugglers have certainly had a consistent stream of strong sets throughout the history of the game, but Jedi have been boosted massively in the last cycle (and will get even more very shortly in Between the Shadows). I also expect Rebels to get some big help in the Rogue Squadron cycle - we've already seen the Luke/Red 5 set which to me looks just as good, if not better than this one.

Also, this Han/Falcon set is heavily vehicle-focused, so it won't go into the same type of deck as many of the strong character-focused sets (including the original Han and Falcon). It may help drive a resurgence of Sleuth Scout/Blockade Runner type decks though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwarz
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scwont wrote:
StarkeRealm wrote:
Wait... am I reading this right? That's going to be a five card pod?...That "X of 5" thing strikes me as really peculiar though.
It might just be because of the relatively low-res images, but yeah it does look like "X of 5" on the cards. Presumably that's a misprint that will be corrected by the time it goes to print.

The article says there are 2 copies of Well Paid in the set, so it's the standard 6 card size (the objective, Han, Falcon, 2 x Well Paid, Heat).

Somehow I missed the bit about heat being in there, as edge cards go, it makes sense for that pod.

Also, it looks suspiciously like the "5" is just a low res 6, or when someone dummied up the pod, they didn't actually skip a number for the second Well Paid.

If I'm honest, alternate sized pods could be an interesting design change for the game... but it'd also be very disruptive to the existing card pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.