Popular Tags: music [+] [View All]
Pat Braun
Germany
Konstanz
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From a publisher standpoint would you appreciate the addition of music to boardgames in order to have a deeper atmosphere?

Regards Pat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean including a CD with the game (or maybe a cheap&cheesy music player with preloaded songs)? It might be a cool idea; has anyone heard of this being done?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve K
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Dream Factory included a CD of 30s/40s music.

I have to say it didn't influence my purchasing decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking this idea through with regards to my latest game. While music licencing is a pain and the free music you can use is extremely hit and miss, I was wondering whether to fill a CD with tracks of a commentator announcing different weather conditions for the day's cycling. The players would put the CD on scramble to make the choice of weather for the game different and random each time and force them to play differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
gbohrer wrote:
It might be a cool idea; has anyone heard of this being done?

Sure. A while back there were some D&D modules that came with specific background music. I forget who published them. Some of those 'host a murder' type thingies also have specific music.

Quite a few 'semi-electronic' games provide some sort of backbeat while playing as well.

Theres also games that have interactive sound bites and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Braun
Germany
Konstanz
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes as an addition...

but not cheesy rather as a addition from the publisher..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

Sure. A while back there were some D&D modules that came with specific background music. I forget who published them. Some of those 'host a murder' type thingies also have specific music.

Quite a few 'semi-electronic' games provide some sort of backbeat while playing as well.

Theres also games that have interactive sound bites and such.

True...guess I'd forgotten clean about the electronic-component games. Never did hear about the D&D modules with soundtracks...musta been while I was on hiatus .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Bohrer
United States
Hereford
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PatBraun wrote:
yes as an addition...

but not cheesy rather as a addition from the publisher..

Sorry, meant "cheesy" in terms of capability, not quality. You can get writeable "music boxes" (ie, a chip and a speaker) pretty inexpensively, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Midnight Syndicate (www.midnightsyndicate.com) has been publishing great "soundtracks" for horror and fantasy games for years. They've even put out CDs specifically for Dungeons & Dragons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martin sgattoni
Argentina
Capital Federal
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play a CD with gregorian chants before starting a Mistery of the Abbey and people love it! Those heavy themed games get people more involved in their characters with some soundtrack in the back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.