Justin Pranger
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was thinking of jumping X-wing with Most Wanted and sticking to the Scum and Villainy faction. I have several friends who play the game but I was wondering if you think I could get by without buying the base game? I'm not to worried about the ships or the maneuver tiles, but can I get by without the upgrade cards? What are your thoughts?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
voidreturn
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
No. You need the damage deck, dice, templates, tokens, and obstacles. Even the Most Wanted requires the HWK and Firespray releases.

Playing with just the scum and villainy faction means you will miss out on the best upgrades that are included in the various expansions, such as Veteran Instincts. Playing by buying just one faction will severely limit the viability of your options. You should buy the expansions that has the upgrade cards and pilots you want to buy, rather than just buying a single faction.

This is not like a traditional miniatures game where you just buy a single faction.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this game is not really designed for buying only one faction's stuff.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I know some players who do get away eith core set + 1 faction only.

They tend to trade or buy specific cards they want. Of course in casual play you can always proxy what you need.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Pranger
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright I'll buy the base game, thanks for all your replies.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ilikesanta wrote:
Alright I'll buy the base game, thanks for all your replies.


I think it depends a lot on whether your friends are happy for you to proxy cards or will insist on bought ones.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I'll chime in with a different answer.

The only things you need from a core set that you can't get anywhere else is the damage deck and asteroid tokens.

Every ship/pack comes with tokens for their particular ship.

Maneuver templates and range ruler you can get from somewhere else/third party acrylic ones.

If you know someone with multiple cores, you can probably get the above from them (asteroids, damage deck, and maneuver templates/range ruler).

Dice can be bought separately in packs.

So...is it possible? Yeah. But is it worth doing so? Depends on how much your time is worth and whether you have friends/know people who can help you out. (the community around where i live is generally friendly enough)
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as the upgrade cards? You can get them from other places as well. Team Covenant actually sells a lot of them.

However, be aware that it's usually more cost effective to buy the ships/packs that the cards come in. So, really, it's only cost saving if you absolutely know that you only want certain things...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
virferrorum wrote:
I know some players who do get away eith core set + 1 faction only.

They tend to trade or buy specific cards they want. Of course in casual play you can always proxy what you need.



I think since people tend to get more than 1 core set, you can probably find someone willing to trade/sell you the extra stuff (damage deck, movement template...etc.)

As for upgrades, as long as you play casual, you don't have to worry too much about getting a particular expansion just for the upgrade cards in it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Tinsley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
the core set is a bargain and worth the price.

You actually need very little of this game at one time to play a faction. a core set, a HWK, a firespray, add a rebel y-wing. and most wanted gives you three playable factions with lots of options for scum.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
super... wrote:
the core set is a bargain and worth the price.

You actually need very little of this game at one time to play a faction. a core set, a HWK, a firespray, add a rebel y-wing. and most wanted gives you three playable factions with lots of options for scum.


This might just gave me the idea for a "introductory package" that is made up of core set, Firespray, a Hwk, Most Wanted, and maybe another X-wing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuba P.
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
eunoia wrote:
super... wrote:
the core set is a bargain and worth the price.

You actually need very little of this game at one time to play a faction. a core set, a HWK, a firespray, add a rebel y-wing. and most wanted gives you three playable factions with lots of options for scum.


This might just gave me the idea for a "introductory package" that is made up of core set, Firespray, a Hwk, Most Wanted, and maybe another X-wing.


Hi, I'm new to all this and I've been thinking along similiar lines What would you think about
Core set
Most Wanted
TIE Advanced
+ something from the rebel side?
to start me off?

What does Firespray & HWK bring to the table? I haven't gotten to their respective reviews yet Buying the base game tomorrow though

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Sallwasser
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jeekubPL wrote:

What does Firespray & HWK bring to the table? I haven't gotten to their respective reviews yet :) Buying the base game tomorrow though :D

The Most Wanted expansion comes with ship tokens and pilots in the Scum faction for the Firespray and HWK-290.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.