GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,352 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Joel Williamson
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

I just received my copy of LOTR LCG. I purchased it from geek bay and received a bunch of sealed decks in the core box.

I've been able to determine the core set since those were the only ones not wrapped.

Is there any way to determine from the cards which deluxe expansion or Saga Expansions go with eachother without looking up each card? Is there a symbol on the cards somewhere?

I have the Deluxe Expansion Khazad-dum and Heirs of Numenor and the Saga Expansions Over hill and Under Hill, and the Black riders.

Also, WHERE DO I START!?! I have the core set, the expansions mentioned above and 19 adventure packs... I'm overwhelmed. Should I just play with the basic cards from the core set to start or should I build a deck with all the expansions I have. I've watched Rodney's watch it played so I know a little of what to do.

Thanks! Sorry for the convoluted thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Sager
United States
Sebastopol
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the best place to start:

http://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/new-player-guides/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Theres a number and expansion symbol at the bottom (I believe its on the right, but I'm away from my collection at the moment)

If you got the inserts, they tell you which symbol and what numbers are for each pack

Sorry I can't give specifics but hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Williamson
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Found the symbol! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
This is what I did, got me started on the path of loving this game:

I would try playing the first scenario "Passage Through Mirkwood" with a couple of the starting Core decks except with Tactics (red cards). I would only try using the Core Tactics deck if you want to play as 2 different players.

Once you are comfortable with the rules and win the first scenario a few times with some different decks, try the next Core quest "Journey Down the Anduin". This one can be tricky, and I think it is trying to teach you that you need to have certain decks for certain quests. At this point, maybe try making a new mutli-color deck out of just the core cards to beat it.

After that, I would either go to one of the saga packs, or start on the first cycle. The 3rd Core quest "Escape from Dol Guldur" is pretty rough, so you may want to skip it until you start incorporating a lot more than just Core cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
just a couple things to know. Other than for the sake of following the designers' storyline, there's no real need to play in a particular sequence or with a deck limited to a particular set of cards. Some people do like to follow the path and/or play with only the cards published at the time the quest was released but that's not "mandatory."

That being said, bear in mind you need to have the deluxe expansion for a particular adventure pack cycle. Each adventure pack has a new quest which uses both new encounter cards from the adventure pack as well as encounter cards from the relevant deluxe expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Williamson
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info guys. My wife and I plan on playing together, we're pretty excited.

Anyone have experience with 4 player? Does the game get bogged down with that many players?

For the sake of our OCD we want to play them in order, and follow the over arching main story as much as we can.

Hopefully in the next couple of days we will start questing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joalaielna wrote:
Thanks for the info guys. My wife and I plan on playing together, we're pretty excited.

Anyone have experience with 4 player? Does the game get bogged down with that many players?

For the sake of our OCD we want to play them in order, and follow the over arching main story as much as we can.

four player doesn't get too bogged down, but from what I can tell, four player is a bit easier with the earlier quests and harder for the later quests (with many exceptions of course)
it will be very likely one or two players focus on questing while other focus on enemy control instead of everyone trying to do everything. It also requires a bit more discussion with your group, but I enjoy it quite a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mighty Rauros
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joalaielna wrote:

Each big box has an overarching story and each cycle of 6 adventure packs has a connected story. Typically, the big box leading into a cycle ties into the story (sometimes loosely and sometimes strongly). Beyond the pair of box + 6 AP's, there is no overarching story between cycles (yet?).

If you're missing any inserts, I believe all of them are available on the Fantasy Flight Games' website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
just a couple things to know. Other than for the sake of following the designers' storyline, there's no real need to play in a particular sequence or with a deck limited to a particular set of cards. Some people do like to follow the path and/or play with only the cards published at the time the quest was released but that's not "mandatory."

That being said, bear in mind you need to have the deluxe expansion for a particular adventure pack cycle. Each adventure pack has a new quest which uses both new encounter cards from the adventure pack as well as encounter cards from the relevant deluxe expansion.

FYI, the reason why most of us do this is for card pool scaling reasons. If you play with the full pool of cards available to you, a lot of quests are made easier. To help balance those out more, you can purchase Nightmare decks, if you choose. Otherwise, the best way to enjoy the game is to learn how to play, and sometimes that means beating your head against the wall of difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Williamson
United States
Monroe
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for all the help! Also I way underestimated about card sleeves. I need 1800 more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.