Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: Price increase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Mouser
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a preorder at a Canadian retailer. The item was listed as 74.95. Through a Black Friday deal I got 12% off. They just posted that ffg is increasing the base game price and as such their new price is going up $10 to $84.95. So we need to pay the difference or cancel. Anyone else heard anything about an increase? If other retailers do the same thing, I hope they still honour the sale discount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
piemaster713 wrote:
I have a preorder at a Canadian retailer. The item was listed as 74.95. Through a Black Friday deal I got 12% off. They just posted that ffg is increasing the base game price and as such their new price is going up $10 to $84.95. So we need to pay the difference or cancel. Anyone else heard anything about an increase? If other retailers do the same thing, I hope they still honour the sale discount.

Yes, many other stores have increased their price, although most are honouring the price people paid with the initial preorder. With Canadian stores, it's a bit more difficult with our dollar losing some value.

And Meeplemart (the store you refer to) is still honouring the discount, but it will be applied to the new price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
piemaster713 wrote:

That is fairly outrageous. Unless I had no other option on buying games I wouldn't buy anything from that store ever again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Robinson
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Jack of All Games
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
piemaster713 wrote:

That is fairly outrageous. Unless I had no other option on buying games I wouldn't buy anything from that store ever again.

The price was raised after stores already put in preorders. It's completely acceptable that if their price goes up that your price would as well. Why should a retailer have to eat the loss when it is out of their control?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Mouser
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
piemaster713 wrote:

I have many excellent options. I'm going to see what they say. At the end of the day, if I can get it cheaper down the road I will. I understand if they have to increase, I just have to see how the price looks in comparison after. They're a good store, well they're an excellent store, so I don't think they're out to fleece anyone and I'm sure they'll still be competitive, they just happen to have some really stiff competition in the area so honouring the discount I got on Black Friday can make a big price difference. I just haven't heard other Canadian retailers say anything about price increases yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
branwheat wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
piemaster713 wrote:

The price was raised after stores already put in preorders. It's completely acceptable that if their price goes up that your price would as well. Why should a retailer have to eat the loss when it is out of their control?

If the store says, here, preorder this, here is the price, and you pay, and then the store RAISES the price and tells you, CANCEL or pay more? No, that is not how this works.
If a store wants to offer preorders, I should have a reasonable expectation that they are not going to change the price on me. I dont care what happens in the meantime between them, and in this example fantasy flight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I expected this (same thing happened with Dead of Winter). I also expect it to happen with some of the expansions (ie. no way the At-ST expansion should have been marked as $10).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Mouser
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks James. Yes they messaged me immediately after I asked saying they honour the discount on the new price. I understand that they have to do it, like you say our dollar is the weak vs the us dollar. I've actually been surprised that Canadian retailers have resisted bumping prices in general. Lets see what others do. Out of interest what were the changes in the USA on prices?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When did you get contacted by the way? I haven't heard anything from them yet but I only recently pre-ordered it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
branwheat wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
piemaster713 wrote:

Thats the trade off of a pre order.
You wait an unknown time to get your game.
But you lock in the price as well.

Id cancel the order and take my business elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fully agree. If a company does preorders like a p500 where you pay when a game ships then I am fine with a price adjustment, but if I pay in advance it's bologna for them to want more even if their cost goes up . Of they don't want to or can't make that risk don't offer a preorder
ropya wrote:
branwheat wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
piemaster713 wrote:

Thats the trade off of a pre order.
You wait an unknown time to get your game.
But you lock in the price as well.

Id cancel the order and take my business elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Mouser
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bholmes4 wrote:
When did you get contacted by the way? I haven't heard anything from them yet but I only recently pre-ordered it.

I contacted them asking if they'd still honour the black Friday deal and they responded.I read the info about the increase on the website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Inner West Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
branwheat wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
piemaster713 wrote:

If the store says, here, preorder this, here is the price, and you pay, and then the store RAISES the price and tells you, CANCEL or pay more? No, that is not how this works.
If a store wants to offer preorders, I should have a reasonable expectation that they are not going to change the price on me. I dont care what happens in the meantime between them, and in this example fantasy flight.

Exactly. Being in business previously you should have the decency to honour a contract (yes a pre-order that has been paid is a contract). Not doing so would see me leave. If FFG had received money from the store owner already I am sure they wouldn't be raising the prices either. However, that is not the case. pre-orders really keep stores ticking over liquidity wise and free up the risk of ordering stock that sits on the shelf for too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cann
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This situation displays a complete lack of respect for the consumer. I've refused to deal with stores in the past for less. It baffles me that anyone would even consider paying them more for a pricing error on their end when there are at least ten other stores in and around the area that are more deserving of the money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Triest
Australia
Inner West Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As for FFG upping the price it seems a bit rich as well. Given the fragile state of the global economy I think raising prices will price people out. Not so myself but given the price hike I am rethinking getting this now... I just bought Madeira instead for my own personal Christmas present rather than wait for this.

Does anyone think Asmodee has anything to do with this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philtrees wrote:
As for FFG upping the price it seems a bit rich as well. Given the fragile state of the global economy I think raising prices will price people out. Not so myself but given the price hike I am rethinking getting this now... I just bought Madeira instead for my own personal Christmas present rather than weight for this.

Does anyone think Asmodee has anything to do with this?

We know from elsewhere that the increase in pricing is due to licensing and that they have to sell via distributors instead of directly to game stores. Those stores increasing their price are probably doing so due to the distributor markup that would be involved, as the distributor needs to get some share of the profits, of course.

The licensing issue could be due to Asmodee, but it probably is more to do with Hasbro and their license for Star Wars board games. There may be a clause in their agreement with Hasbro to allow publication of SWIA that they have to use distribution channels and they only just noticed or something. Of course, this is just conjecture on my part, but it seems the most logical reason to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I find it disappointing that the price has gone up and I'm being asked to put in the difference, it's all on the site's policy page. It isn't like they are being secretive, or it's some bait and switch. We're also not in the U.S., which means there is another factor that can change prices that is not in the store's control (or FFG's control either). No one's doing anything sneaky or underhanded here. People can still cancel and preorder their item elsewhere, so no one is being forced into anything either.

As per the store's policy, if the price drops, they refund the difference to the customers when the item is shipped. I don't think too many other companies do that, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bholmes4 wrote:

They announced the price increase on their Facebook page. They don't know exactly what the end price will be (they are expecting it to be $10 more) - they will email everyone when they know the exact price difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

But this particular store doesn't say this. It says:

"All pre-order prices are subject to change."

Quote:

I agree there should be a reasonable expectation that the price doesn't change, but occasionally the unreasonable happens. FFG changed the price on this store twice, and the Canadian dollar tanked 20%. At some point, something's got to give.

It might also be useful to point out, that even at the new price, once converted, it's less than $75 US, which is cheaper than most other store's prices (including Miniature Market, which is generally one of the cheaper online U.S. stores), and is still more than 25% off the MSRP.

That said, anyone looking to preorder it in Canada at a price that hasn't gone up, I'd highly recommend greatboardgames.ca
http://www.greatboardgames.ca/star-wars-imperial-assault.htm...
I looked at their site and couldn't find anything saying they will bump prices up on people. I might have switched, but I've ordered other things from Meeplemart that GreatBoardGames doesn't carry, and splitting the shipping would null any price advantage I would get anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ni L
msg tools
badge
There's a number to call to see if the Ontario Consumer Protection Act applies to your situation. I don't have it offhand, but it's easy to google. Since you have everything in email format, it should be pretty simple to explain the situation. Note that this law applies even if they wrote somewhere that it doesn't. You can't waive these rights.

Alternatively, if you paid by credit card or Paypal, you can check to see if that's allowed merchant behavior.

My personal opinion, if you gave money for it, then any pricing changes are their problem, unless they clearly state that this is a deposit for a future purchase (which may or may not be what preorder means lol).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's kind of scummy to do this if you require people to pay in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
81 Eur on Amazon.de now, was 71 (but afaik preorders should be honored by Amazon!).

So now I only played like 20 Eur more to already have it 2+ month earlier
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Either Cardhaus did a price increase or they got rid of the preoder discount while keeping it as a preorder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Coolstuff pre-order is now $6 more than I paid on November 12th. I haven't heard anything about having to pay more so I am guessing they are honoring the pre-order pricing they sold at.

All of the expansion packs are priced higher than my pre-order too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LJ
Canada
Stoney Creek
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Retailer,

As it turns out, I don't have the money I thought I was going to have for my game budget this month. I had unexpected car repair bills. So, you can give me back 15% or refund my money entirely.

Thanks.

That's a bit how I see it. But then I've had a lot of good experiences with MM so I don't want to slam them either. Pre-orders reward the retailer far more than the customer though - money up front and numbers to work with when ordering from the distributor. I see this consistent gain as a reason to honour the original posted price in this case. The "prices subject to change" is dangerous to the customer because retailers could exploit that for a classic bait and switch.

Hope it works out for all.
What an expensive game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.