GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,869 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BattleCON: Devastation of Indines» Forums » General

Subject: Would War be a much better starting point? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris C.
Canada
flag msg tools
I'm pretty interested in Battlecon, and I'm tempted to get Devastation, but I've heard that War is a better starting point for new players. Is there a big difference? Are the characters in Devastation that much more complex?

I can get Devastation locally for a decent price, but maybe I should wait and find a way to pick up the War 2nd Edition when it comes out. I know that War would have a lower price tag, which is nice, but Devastation is so packed that I would likely never need anything else to fully scratch that itch. Devastation has the tiers, but is that enough to help new players along? Is War more elegant in its simplicity?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Hughes
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
War of Indines has fewer characters, fewer game modes, simpler arenas, and the characters it does have are somewhat simpler than the characters in Devastation. It also has a smaller price tag, so it is a good starting point.

The characters in both games are organized into 'flights' of increasing complexity. The simplest characters in either edition are approachable to new players, in fact, Devastation has 'Shektur' and 'Eligor', who I consider to be the best teaching characters in the game, so there's that.

The most complex characters in War(Sagas, Zamassal) are not remotely on par with the most complex characters in Devastation (Iaxus, Endyrbyt), but still complex enough that there's plenty to sink your teeth into.

The main reason not to go with War in the past was the first edition had pretty dodgy artwork, but that has been remedied by the new edition, so I would advise picking up War remastered.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Rosenquist
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's difficult for me to compare the two, just because I haven't played any War characters fully. The 1st game I played of BattleCON was with the original War. My friend got it; I tried it and LOVED it. But at that time we played without finishers because he just wanted me to learn the game. Even without them I had a blast playing, and soon ordered my own. Shortly after that, Devastation came out, and the next time I played was with Devastation. Of course I played with finishers (and the other special actions), and I loved the game even more.

Regarding difficulty, I don't think starting with Devastation is that much more difficult. It had been awhile, the time period before my 1st game of War and my 2nd with Devastation. After a few plays, and I still don't have the experience that most posters here probably do, I feel pretty comfortable with the rules, and that from playing Devastation characters.

So my opinion: go ahead and grab Devastation! You'll have 30 awesome characters, and I don't think the game will be so difficult. The rules are fairly easy to grasp, and the community here is more than willing to help if you have any questions. Maybe, as you say, Devastation alone will fully scratch your itch. But there's that chance that you'll love it so much you'll want to get War, too. But hey, you have until March or so to make that decision, as War won't ship until next Spring anyway. Get Devastation and start enjoying this awesome game now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris C.
Canada
flag msg tools
Great replies, thank you both for taking the time. I didn't realize that War was still a few months away from shipping; I thought it was coming in December. That may decide it for me, as I'm not sure I can wait until Spring! It's good to hear that Devastation shouldn't be too difficult, and that there is a nice spread of complexity in the characters.

Can't wait to play this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll end up getting both anyway, so might as well start with Devastation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though you seem to have made up your mind already, here's my 2 cents. So far I've only got Devastation (looking so much forward to War Remastered!) and I don't feel it's too hard to pick up. What with the modular system and LOTS of content, you can't go wrong buying it. Also, the first flight fighters are really great for getting acquainted with the game.

But as others have said: You'll probably end up liking Devastation so much, you'll want to get War once it hits the shelves!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Cooley
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fate of Indines, being released alongside the revised War of Indines is intended to be a cheaper, more portable starting point to get people into the game. So if you can wait, that may be the best thing to try first, instead of dropping $60 or so for devastation.

Alternatively, check out the print and play demo. Battlecon doesn't have that many components needed to actually play a basic game and see how you like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't go wrong with either choice, War or Devastation. Even Fate coming up in March will be accessible for beginners but also contain characters that are more complex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the answers here are fantastic - Fate (coming soon), or War, or Devastation are all fantastic starting points.

In my experience, if you like the game you'll "LOVE" the game, so why not start with Devastation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While i can't speak for War, waiting on the remastered one. I managed to grab Devastation from ebay. So it was my entry into BattleCON. And let me tell you: Its a very awesome gateway to BattleCON. Mostly because you have a very diverse set of Fighters ranging from "Easy" too "How long did you had to study that one?!", which doesn't mean that one is imbalanced towards another. The game is beautifully split into "Flights" which makes the massive amount quiet managable.

Besides all my Fanboyism, i want to give you one advice though: This game really shines the more you play it. Not that the first rounds aren't great, but the game really gets interesting if both/all players know what they are doing. In that regard its pretty similar to a competitive multiplayer online Game: First you fight and learn the game, but after a while you learn and fight your opponents.

So take whatever is reachable if you are interested: Get Devastation if you find a good deal, otherwise preorder War. Or order everything! Because face it, you WILL like the game and you WILL need more of it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris C.
Canada
flag msg tools
This is great, thanks so much for all the excellent replies, everyone!

My one fear is that I won't get to play this as regularly as I'd like, but hopefully this game can strike a cord with a couple of my friends and maybe (hopefully!) even my girlfriend. This is a game that I absolutely want to play and own, though, so I think I'm going to take the plunge with Devastation and see how it goes. Seems like a game that most could enjoy, once they learn the mechanics of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aquablak wrote:
This is great, thanks so much for all the excellent replies, everyone!

My one fear is that I won't get to play this as regularly as I'd like, but hopefully this game can strike a cord with a couple of my friends and maybe (hopefully!) even my girlfriend. This is a game that I absolutely want to play and own, though, so I think I'm going to take the plunge with Devastation and see how it goes. Seems like a game that most could enjoy, once they learn the mechanics of the game.

Yeah, good luck with the local opponent thing. My wife played with me for about 40 games, but then I became obsessed with this system, so I started to outplay her regularly and she got frustrated. If I had a local opponent, and I mean this very seriously, BattleCON would be the last card game I would ever buy or need. It's that good and that deep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.