Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like a bit more info before I pre-order this. Are there rules for placing the tiles? Are the tiles constructed so cities are always a set distance apart, or do certain balancing rules get invoked if cities are x hexes from each other?

The only thing that really gives me pause is that I assembled a nice looking copy of Funkenschlag Atollis Modularis, and found that you had to be very careful how the board was set up or there would be serious balance issues. I'm mostly curious how this variant deals with that.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Interesting, but...
Unless you're planning on going to Essen there is no way to pre-order this one Marc...

The best bet for those of us who can't go to the fair is to hope that Funagain or similar online rapscallions get ahold of the box and sell it for 50-100$ when it is only 15 Euros new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to wait until the Alice In Wonderland and Wizard of Oz AoS expansions come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CortexBomb wrote:
Unless you're planning on going to Essen there is no way to pre-order this one Marc...

The best bet for those of us who can't go to the fair is to hope that Funagain or similar online rapscallions get ahold of the box and sell it for 50-100$ when it is only 15 Euros new.

OK, reserve a copy for my great, great friend to pick up for me. Truly a wonderful fellow. If this turns out to be any good. Which would be nice to know. Hence the thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ixnay66 wrote:
I'm going to wait until the Alice In Wonderland and Wizard of Oz AoS expansions come out.

As a future owner of the Sun, and 1970's boogaloo expansions, I wholeheartedly agree. Where's the ogres? More importantly, where's my Ogre Smasher upgrade for my loco! To hell with cow catchers!

Actually, I'd just be happy to get hold of expansion #1 for under $70.

Even more actually, I'd just like to be able to play this game more often, but I'm addicted to expansion maps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you really need a fix feel free to visit West Michigan...you could play AoS pretty much any saturday night if you came over here...

And for the record, I think these Essen-only maps should be likened to Moby Dick more than anything...hard to track, and if you find them your wallet will probably end up fatally wounded laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
slowcorner wrote:
ixnay66 wrote:

As a future owner of the Sun, and 1970's boogaloo expansions, I wholeheartedly agree.

And there are more coming! I hope you enjoy your maps.

Quote:
Where's the ogres? More importantly, where's my Ogre Smasher upgrade for my loco! To hell with cow catchers!

I'm still toying with a King and King's Progress mechanism for a future map. Maybe not ogres, but tyrants semi-count don't they? It didn't quite work on London and so was removed in development. Meanwhile the map I'm currently working on attempts to raise the screwage bar by several steps.

Quote:
Actually, I'd just be happy to get hold of expansion #1 for under $70.

There are still a few copies at British game stores in the back woods at RRP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic GIMET
France
SAINT JUST D'AVRAY
France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:
...how does it work? I'd like a bit more info before I pre-order this. Are there rules for placing the tiles? Are the tiles constructed so cities are always a set distance apart, or do certain balancing rules get invoked if cities are x hexes from each other?

Hi !

Thanks for your interest.
The rule about tiles placement is : the previous first player adds a new map tile connected to any one ever placed. but are you going to make an advantage for you or not ? You're not sure to be the next first player...
About cubes, you can predict which ones will appear until the 4th turn, so you are really sure what you have to try.
No much lucky map.

sorry for my poor english...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response. Believe me, I was not counting on a lucky AoS map!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.