GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,368 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Middle-earth» Forums » Rules

Subject: Mixing Movement types possible? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is is possible to mix movement types? (starter/ region movement)

e.g.

A Company starts at a Haven and moves to Site A using 'starter' movement.
Can the same company then use Region movement to move from Site A to Site B, or do they have to continue using Starter movement, and can only return to the Haven?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Teroux
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can mix and match.

You will find that sometimes starter movement is somewhat safer as you only use the region symbols as indicated on the site cards. As a result, creatures that key off of a specific region by name could not be played on your company using starter movement (your opponent could only play creatures keyed to the symbol only in that case).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Riley
United Kingdom
Bridport
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starter movement is rather unintuitive to many - the game plays fine just using region movement

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
goatleaf wrote:
Starter movement is rather unintuitive to many - the game plays fine just using region movement

The 'road traveling' metaphor works fine for me, and I think both movement modes are viable in the full game.

Starter movement is safer (only creatures keyed to the start and finish regions by name are playable) and can be quicker (more than 4 regions can be traveled through with stater movement for some sites), but is it not as flexible as region movement (i.e. no site-to-site movement). It's a nice tradeoff, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carolyn Longinton
msg tools
totally agree. both work well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.