GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,437 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Like (or curious about) Spyfall and have an Android? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a lot of interest in Spyfall after BGG.con, so I thought I would share this again.

A few years ago, I designed a get-to-know-you game called "Faking It," where everyone but one player knew a conversation topic. I couldn't come up with an elegant way to do it in tabletop form, so I learned MIT's AppInventor to make an Android version. (I planned to have hundreds of categories, so I didn't want to do the "bundles of cards in ziploc baggies".)

When I learned about Spyfall (which uses the same mechanism), I decided to put my prototype up on the Google Play store for free. It's got about 50 topics in it. The main difference is that rather than playing a character in a spy world, you are having a conversation about yourself.

So, if you want it, it's free. It's not fancy, but works.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=appinventor.ai...

There's no iOS edition because AppInventor only creates Android apps (and given my goal of building a functioning prototype and that I don't know how to make iOS apps, I don't have a reason at this time to make one.. but if there is a developer out there who wants to work with me, we can talk!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Schade
United States
West Deptford
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Scott, I'll check it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heart of Groin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I originally read about this on http://becauseplaymatters.com/a few weeks ago and got to try it out with 3 of my friends. It was most entertaining! Would like to try it out with more as it felt quite difficult to be the faker in a smaller group. ninja

Thanks Scott!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Lampinen
Finland
Espoo
none
flag msg tools
(and a hermit)
badge
Fan of FUN games!
mbmbmb
Huh.. Is there another game that uses this mechanic that this and Spyfall are based on, or did two developers just have same idea around same time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
max_s wrote:
Huh.. Is there another game that uses this mechanic that this and Spyfall are based on, or did two developers just have same idea around same time?

For me, the idea came when I lived in the dorms at MIT (as a 40-year old visiting professor). They asked us to eat with the students, so when I did, sometimes the students would attempt to talk about things like who was dating whom, but do so in a way that I wouldn't pick up on their topic.

I called them out on it once, and that gave me the idea for a game where you had to do this. It was my original idea to have a normal version (which is this prototype) and an adult version (where there were racy get-to-know-you questions with a family-oriented topic).

When I saw Spyfall rolling out, I decided it wasn't worth it to purse the idea any longer, so just decided to post the prototype and be done with it.

(or let someone license the game from me and we'll make millions!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Canar
United States
Des Plaines
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the AppInventor source code available for Faking It?

thx,
jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dr_canak wrote:
Is the AppInventor source code available for Faking It?

thx,
jeff

No, what happened is MIT moved from AppInventor to AppInventor 2.0. They have said that there will be a tool to move it from one to the other... some day... but it would be better just to rebuild it.

As I had done what I needed to do - test out the concept - I didn't see a reason to rebuild it all.

So, I figure if someone wants to license the game who is an app developer, I have many more topics and both an adult and family version in planning. Or, _someday_, I'll figure it all out. Or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Scott I've tried your application on my Samsung Galaxy S4, but after choosing the amount of players it goes back to the welcome screen with the "select the players" button. My other friend has a Galaxy S5 and it seems to work with him. Do you know what may be the problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Revelade wrote:
Hey Scott I've tried your application on my Samsung Galaxy S4, but after choosing the amount of players it goes back to the welcome screen with the "select the players" button. My other friend has a Galaxy S5 and it seems to work with him. Do you know what may be the problem?

No idea, and I don't know enough about the differences to even hazard a guess as to what's up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falcon Arendell

Raleigh
North Carolina
msg tools
mb
We played this as a filler at the end of our game evening last Thursday. We played 6 or so games and as the store closed they were clamoring for more. They particularly liked the idea of an adult version of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.