Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok...I am in to collecting strange or out of the norm games! This is one of those finds! I have always loved hockey and have been playing since I was 8. Over the years I have played plenty of tabletop hockey games with the rod-style movement. About 2 years ago, I aquired REAL HOCKEY and my view of table hockey games changed.

REAL HOCKEY is a rather simple game of hockey with innovative controls. There are 2 defensive players which has limited movement to the defensive zone and 2 offensive players that roam with a wider range than the defensive players. Each team has a golie that have their own control arm.
The game comes in a nice briefcase-type closing case that houses all the components. You turn the built-in lock on the handle and open the board up. The nets are attached to the board....just set em up and they are ready! The Glass behind the net is also attached....fold them up and that part is ready! The control arms are all tucked into the corners of the board and they slide out and move along the long side of the board on each side. The rules are in Swedish...but the pictures allow you to set up the game no problem.

Gameplay: Well...its 4 on 4 hockey and a goalie! As with other board hockey games of this nature it's score any way you can! There is a twist to this game versus other push-rod games and that is the skill needed to move and shoot the puck! You can play defense and try to block lanes that someone is attempting to traverse. The offensive player can move, cut, circle pass and shoot and all will little effort from the control arm. It DOES take a bit of practice to get the hang of the controls but once you do, you can skate with the best of them! The pucks store nicely in the board and it came with 6 which is very nice! There are rubber clear sticky pads on the goal glove and on the back of the net. The net I can see for cushoning the puck, but I have yet to lift a puck into the golies glove. Maybe I need to practice with the controls more but I see no way to lift the puck.
The game is definately finesse! You can't ram the controls or else you player will come off the magnetic base. The instuctions show checking which has been done in our games...but care must be taken not to dislodge BOTH players. We use a timer that came with the game and play 3 or 5 minute periods which is plenty of time with all the action. The game works GREAT with 4 players due to the layout of the controls.

The only gripe I have is that the players can sometimes get tangled and you end up with 2 players (yours and your opponents) on your control stick and they have to be detached manualy to get back into the game! I am not too sure about the proprietory stick skater magnet thing. I have not had problems with skaters being taken over by other rods...just skaters sticking to other skaters in some instances.

Overall, I do like this little gem! It's very entertaining and is a crowd pleaser! I am going to attept to have the rulebook translated and if I can, will post that as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting.... where can someone in North America acquire a copy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
how did u get it(and yes, how can we can one)?

if u have the rules, i have some swedish friends that could likely translate it, as they speak flawless english as well as swedish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was lucky enough to find it on ebay and no one bid on it after I did!
I will scan the rules and sent them to James!
I have been trying to find the website for SweGames AB...but no luck so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Owen
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
I realize this is a long shot as this post was ten years ago, but is there a way you could put up some gameplay footage on youtube? I am looking into building a similar type magnetic slotless hockey game, but I'd love to see yours first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.