GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,232 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
207 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 

Viceroy» Forums » General

Subject: Help us pick the cover art for the Viceroy Limited Edition Box! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't heard, we are doing a KICKSTARTER for Viceroy and the first 4 tiers of backers will get a limited edition version. There is a lot of debate over which graphic might be the best so we are doing this poll to listen to you. Please note we would ask you to vote only if you are a backer or plan to become one soon since the 4th tier of backers will be gone very soon.

Now onto the poll. Please note you can vote for as many or as few of these options as you want. We are not going to please all of you, or probably even 1/4 of you, but this method will work the best for what we are trying to accomplish and HERE is why. This isn't a "First Past The Post" style voting system but a "which of these options can you live with" system. Note the images will be used on the box cover but the lines and icons and all that will not be used of course, just the artwork.

Poll
Which of these images can you LIVE WITH for the cover of the limited edition Viceroy? Remember you can vote for as many as you want.
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
40.1% 473
20.3% 240
26.0% 307
32.3% 382
41.6% 491
53.3% 629
34.7% 410
9.8% 116
19.6% 231
24.6% 291
9.8% 116
22.8% 269
17.2% 203
Voters 1181
This poll is now closed.   1181 answers
Poll created by maydaygames
Closes: Tue Dec 9, 2014 6:00 am

This will only be up a couple of days so vote away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Why is the original cover no longer on the table?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddie M.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
some really nice choices here! Couldn't pick a favorite even if I tried
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The original art is on the original box already... if you REALLY want that over the LE version then just wait until tomorrow or the next day when the Tier 4 is gone on the Kickstarter and you can pledge for a standard version instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
Why is the original cover no longer on the table?

Because there's not much point putting the standard edition cover on the alternate-art limited edition box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukáš Rinka
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because it should be cover for limited edition... which should differ from original. If it would be same what would be point of limited edition cover?

Edit: Jedit was slightly faster than me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Maia
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
god, the art for this game is amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J-F Audy
Canada
Chambly
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@ C Bazler:

If you want to keep the original cover, you just have to wait and change your pledge when the 5th tier is open. Then, you will get the standard box cover!

Edit: I'm so slow...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renan Neori
Israel
Tel Aviv
Gush Dan
flag msg tools
From a time before Pachinko...
badge
Don't touch!
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite works here are the Woman with Dragon Pup, and Pope Turning the Dead, which are awesome, but I don't feel really fit the central theme of the game (and in one case might make it look like you're trying to crib from a certain set of well-known works).

As such I voted for images 6, 7, 10 and 13. Unfortunately that means no votes for women. I wish there was an image of a woman that seemed to be in a leadership-esque position so I could vote for her too. Any chance there are some out there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett David Spain
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely Bonkers. But I will tell you a secret, All the best people are.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just my opinion, but the ninja art doesn't scream "Viceroy." It seems like it better represents some Japanese feudal game rather than this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Maia
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zanziham wrote:
My favorite works here are the Woman with Dragon Pup, and Pope Turning the Dead, which are awesome, but I don't feel really fit the central theme of the game (and in one case might make it look like you're trying to crib from a certain set of well-known works).

As such I voted for images 6, 7, 10 and 13. Unfortunately that means no votes for women. I wish there was an image of a woman that seemed to be in a leadership-esque position so I could vote for her too. Any chance there are some out there?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I still voted for that cover though. As Daenerys has thought us, a strong woman with a dragon doesn't necessarily need all the regalia bells and whistles to be powerful and claim her position!

I also think it's not just good art, but good cover art. the "woman with dragon pup" art has a clear focus, no noise, and some nice negative space. it would make a beautiful box cover after all the information is added.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Natascha Helbling
Switzerland
Winterthur
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree the Ninja art is really awesome, but it doesn't really fit the name. I hoped more would vote for the old man. I think it really is a fitting cover art for Viceroy. He looks like he has the bite to win the game too. Not really sure if I like the art that is in the lead right now, but it fits better than some of the other artworks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, a lot of great choices!!!

Nice job Seth!

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justaguy Gaming
United States
flag msg tools
mb
An interactive, auctioning game as simple to learn as Viceroy should not have a cover that looks like a Warhammer game box or a themed version of "Chess for Old People." Warhammer at least looks cool and I can live with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slightly Alive
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy with the "Vote for Many" approach, but would have loved if it could be weighted in some way. I chose five of them:
-Smite Pope
-Woman With Dragon Who Is Totally Not A Targaryen
-Big Axe
-Old Man
-Snow Knight

And I would be genuinely good with any of them.

But two really stand out beyond the others, and I would have voted for them multiple times if I'd had a way:
-Not Danaerys
-Snow Knight

Though, overall, wow to all the art in this game! Even the ones that don't fit nicely for the box cover (like, say, Brown Ninja) look spectacular!

EDIT:
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
's mockups definitely changed my mind (and votes). Still think Dragon Woman is the best choice, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see the standard edition cover printed on the inside cover of the limited edition box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Gosh, I don't think I could convince my non-gamer friends and girlfriend to play the game if it ended up being the axe-sharpener guy... Might have to take Mayday's advice and opt for original by re-pledging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Need help his your favorite image might look like in square format with the "Viceroy" title added? See these quick and dirty mock-ups I made. You may also browse them in my gallery: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/user/660609

edit: Sorry, I forgot to add the blonde male Knight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justaguy Gaming
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Nice! I would keep in mind their graphic designer will likely do something to make "Viceroy" pop from the image so it's not difficult to read and provide a better cropping with access to the full artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Martin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Mwa ha ha ha ha
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of great images but my top three would be
- Ember Crow man
- Dragon Lady
- Snow Knight

What are the possibilities of having several different limited covers say five a la Abyss A five pack could have one of each. (I'm being greedy)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
snake2shake wrote:
Need help his your favorite image might look like in square format with the "Viceroy" title added? See these quick and dirty mock-ups I made. You may also browse them in my gallery:

Wow, thanks, that helped a lot! I'm going to change some of my answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted for the guy sharpening the giant 2 handed ax!

There are going to be some really happy backers for this game I think!

I am so sad I cannot back this kickstarter this is going to look fantastic on the gaming shelf!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dieseledge wrote:
Nice! I would keep in mind their graphic designer will likely do something to make "Viceroy" pop from the image so it's not difficult to read and provide a better cropping with access to the full artwork.

Definitely. It took me a while and I didn't spend more time adding a shadow to the title etc. This is just a quick help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumsh wrote:
I voted for the guy sharpening the giant 2 handed ax!

There are going to be some really happy backers for this game I think!

I am so sad I cannot back this kickstarter this is going to look fantastic on the gaming shelf!

And here is the first non-backer voting for the alternate box art ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Gold Canyon
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather . . . not screaming and yelling like the passengers on his bus
mbmbmbmbmb
Keeping my fingers crossed for Old Man (#7). It's the only one, to me, that looks like a "Viceroy".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.