Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a few questions (some of which have actually come up in PBF 14):

1) If Green has Cthugha and Cthulhu in a battle with another player, and Cthugha spares the enemy with Fire Vampires, can he still fulfill his "Kill 1 Enemy" and "Kill 2 Enemies" spellbook requirements with those spared kills?

2) If Cthulhu kills Rhan-Tegoth, and Immortal is used to cancel it, does Cthulhu still fulfill the spellbook requirement?

3) If Cthugha kills Rhan-Tegoth, and Immortal is used to cancel it, can that same kill then be spared with Fire Vampire?

4) If Cthugha rolls a single kill on a Star Spawn with Regenerate, can he spare that kill, or is it ineligible because it converted to a pain?

There was a previous ruling that Rhan-Tegoth's Immortal does not negate Nyarlathotep's Harbinger, so maybe that informs some of the above?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Lanrezac
France
Chatou
Yvelines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya Adam,
I can't answer all questions but here are the one I know the answer for !

2) If Cthulhu kills Rhan-Tegoth, and Immortal is used to cancel it, does Cthulhu still fulfill the spellbook requirement?
Yes, Rhan Tegoth cancel the effect of the Kill/Pain (ie dying/fleeing) but not the Kill/Pain itself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pitpipo wrote:
Hiya Adam,
I can't answer all questions but here are the one I know the answer for !

Yes, Rhan Tegoth cancel the effect of the Kill/Pain (ie dying/fleeing) but not the Kill/Pain itself

Yeah, based on the decision with Harbinger, this one seems pretty clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
AdamStarks wrote:
Here's a few questions (some of which have actually come up in PBF 14):

1) If Green has Cthugha and Cthulhu in a battle with another player, and Cthugha spares the enemy with Fire Vampires, can he still fulfill his "Kill 1 Enemy" and "Kill 2 Enemies" spellbook requirements with those spared kills?

3) If Cthugha kills Rhan-Tegoth, and Immortal is used to cancel it, can that same kill then be spared with Fire Vampire?

4) If Cthugha rolls a single kill on a Star Spawn with Regenerate, can he spare that kill, or is it ineligible because it converted to a pain?

There was a previous ruling that Rhan-Tegoth's Immortal does not negate Nyarlathotep's Harbinger, so maybe that informs some of the above?

1) No, they were spared, not killed!

2) Yes, because Rhan Tegoth's ability specifically only "cancels the effect of the kill or pain ON HIM" which means that Cthulhu's kill is valid for the spellbooks requirement (just as with harbinger)

3) Hmm, this hasn't come up yet and we'll have to ask Sandy. Errata page on website! My guess is that it goes in attack/defense order: i.e., if Cthugha were the attacker, his post-battle abilities go before the defender's, meaning that he could spare it and Rhan Tegoth is given a pain already; contrariwise, if Rhan Tegoth were the attacker, and he therefore used Immortal first, then it would already be a Pain and Cthugha would have no kill to "spare." At least, that's what makes the most sense to me.

4) this also has not come up yet, but the answer I think would be similar to number 3, or, could be that, yes, he could spare them - after all, if he had rolled two kills vs the star spawn, then sparing one of those kills is meaningful. So, while a single kill being spared is not meaningful for what happens to the star spawn, it should logically be the same meaning that Cthulhu can still spare it. But I dunno.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy ruled it this way:

For Cthugha to ever spare a kill and get a benefit, it must be something that otherwise WOULD BE killed. I.e., Cthugha must actually, de facto, be sparing a Kill, and not merely "technically" be doing so.

So, for a starspawn, it doesn't count unless there's two sixes - and this also means that if Cthugha spares a star spawn, he only gets ONE elder sign, even if he "says" he is reducing both 6s to 5s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
The general meta-rule that I try to apply is that whenever two special powers clash, they should both provide a benefit to their respective owners (if possible).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.