Michael Caplan
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Hey everyone, a bit of a rant thread but more just looking for some positive encouragement and/or commiseration.

So I ordered Plastic Cement and an Xacto Knife from Amazon, got them about a week ago and started putting together the minis. So far I have the tentacles (go me.), the heroes, and 1 set of the zombies.

I have come to the conclusion that I HATE putting together minis. I keep trying to read reviews and play throughs and remind myself that their is a great game on the other end but it's tough. It takes me forever and minis come out terrible with gaps in their limbs and the occasional melted face where I tried to glue on a hat.

I am committed to this game (didn't go mine cart but got a bunch of add-ons) but I honestly think I will never get another game with mini assemble every again.

Anyways, thanks for reading. And if anyone has any suggestions to make it go faster/easier I would greatly appreciate them, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the minis just don't go together straight off the sprue. It takes patience and a steady hand to trim the anchor points down to where they fit their respective holes. It doesn't help that a lot of anchor points are also where the part is attached to the sprue, thus the need for careful trimming.

The general consensus I get from reading this forum is that the SoB minis are below average. There are going to be gaps. You are not alone.

But have patience and before you know it you will be off and playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finn K
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sprue cutter (or side cutter) is definitely easier than trying to cut out miniatures with a knife. I only used the back edge of knife to scrape off flash.

For glue I used testors cement, squeezed out a little on a piece of paper and then used a wood stick (match sized) to spread glue on to ends of mini I was gluing. The less you use the better, and this method gives you more control. To minimize gaps I made sure to scrape flash (extra plastic) around connection points. The hungry dead were pretty tough with their small pieces.

I have never put together minis before and they came out pretty good. I cut out all of one monster type at a time, arranged in piles, and scraped the flash off of each pile. Assembly line if you will.

So far we have 5 games played with just (unpainted) City of Ancients, Swamps is in the process of being painted. The game is fantastic, wife, daughter (14), son (9), love to play. If it was up to the kids we'd play every day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hiakeem wrote:
Sprue cutter (or side cutter) is definitely easier than trying to cut out miniatures with a knife. I only used the back edge of knife to scrape off flash.

For glue I used testors cement, squeezed out a little on a piece of paper and then used a wood stick (match sized) to spread glue on to ends of mini I was gluing. The less you use the better, and this method gives you more control. To minimize gaps I made sure to scrape flash (extra plastic) around connection points. The hungry dead were pretty tough with their small pieces.

I have never put together minis before and they came out pretty good. I cut out all of one monster type at a time, arranged in piles, and scraped the flash off of each pile. Assembly line if you will.

So far we have 5 games played with just (unpainted) City of Ancients, Swamps is in the process of being painted. The game is fantastic, wife, daughter (14), son (9), love to play. If it was up to the kids we'd play every day.

Great post right here. I barely used an exacto knife, finding the sprue cutter much more versatile and easier to use.

I dry fitted each piece before gluing to make sure everything would fit right. There are still gaps, but minor.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serial MoM
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had some issues with the ancient city minis. I did clean them properly but used fast drying glue and green stuff. In the end i had big gaps.

Today with the swamp minis and special plastic glue without help of green stuffand, of course with proper cleaning up of the minis with a sharp exacto knife, the results were stunningly good. I had nearly no gaps on all minis, except the Harbinger which I did not built until now.

But I need around 4 hours for one core set, which is a lot of time.

And I am a wargaming hobbyist with good mini building experience, so I understand when rookies have issues here.

Work exactly to cut of allthese tiny edgescand use plastic glue is a solution ( for me) for an awesome result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Holmes
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
Brawling Brothers!
badge
Team Brandon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished assembling mine. I've been building models for many, many years and I even have won some IPMS competitions. (International Plastic Modelers Society). Here is what you need to do.

1. To cut pieces off of the sprue use micro diagonal cutters they make a clean cut that only requires minimum sanding.

2. Only cut the pieces you need to build one mini at a time.

3. Test fit all pieces before you glue them.

4. I use Tenex 7R as my plastic cement and this is why. It fuses the plastic together so that it becomes one piece, that's right if done correctly there will be no seam lines to fill. You can get Tenex 7R on Ebay its about 7.00 bucks a bottle. Apply with a small hair paint brush, NOT A PLASTIC brush as it will melt. Tenex dries very fast but not as fast as superglue so it give you plenty of time to adjust the pieces. (Tenex has the consistency of water)

5. I found that the SOBS pieces with the tabs on them don't fit real well so I cut off the tabs and positioned them as I wanted, for some of the kits it made it a lot easier.

6. Using this method I have hardly any filling or sanding to do before paint.

Good Luck

And Remember sometime good tools do help make a good model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Holmes
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
Brawling Brothers!
badge
Team Brandon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some pictures after gluing but before clean up of lines and minor filling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Caplan
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Cool guys, thanks for all the responses. Some great info here which will help. Can't wait till I can actually start playing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen G Roy
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even with a side cutter, I found a set of nail clippers handy to have on board. Forget my metal needle files also. I owe the wife a new pack of emery boards. I have yet to decide on filler material.

With advances shown by Reaper Bones, one wonders what the price increase would be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The right tools will help a lot but the absolute best advice is DO NOT RUSH! Take your time and trim and dry fit everything. You can't think about playing the game or there's so many more miniatures I can't wait until I'm finished.

You have to approach it like you're going to sit down and focus on finishing that one miniature and making it look the best you can. Try to think that you are creating a beautiful piece of art while working on a miniature. You wouldn't rush that. You would take your time and just focus on the moment. If you keep thinking about playing the game you will drive yourself crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flowingblade wrote:

Anyways, thanks for reading. And if anyone has any suggestions to make it go faster/easier I would greatly appreciate them, thanks.

Best of luck to you! I would suggest getting a plastic glue with a brush, or one of those with a long, thin metal tube. These give you a lot of control over how much glue you use...

If you need a bit of cheering up, how about getting yourself an Avatar!?
As a Christmas Charity, we (the good people of the League of Extraordinary Heroscapers and other generous souls) are giving away almost a thousand GeekGold to BGG'ers without an Avatar...

Check it out:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1276800/league-extraordinary...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ruescher
United States
West Milford
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
They need to do a Kickstarter for resin minis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a novice as well and like you I'm not a huge fan of the process. Cutters make a big difference.

I'm now experimenting with green stuff to fill the gaps and it isn't going so well. I've tried both solid and liquid and it is pretty tough to control. I think I'll prime the few I've done today to see how they look. I'm sure I'll get better with more practice, this stuff is definitely a skill.

EDIT: After priming, the green stuffed areas actually look okay. I can't believe it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Gray
United States
Brookfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
I know that I do not have the patience for assembling these guys. Tasks involving small motor skills sometimes frustrate me. My brother-in-law is putting together my sets. My wife and I each ordered extra sets from the Kickstarter to sell on eBay (I am a stay at home dad that plays merchant). So we have extra red sets that we figured my brother-in-law could also paint (this is his hobby).

My brother-in-law is cutting, trimming, assembling, filling in gaps, mounting, gluing flock (rocks?) to bases, and painting sets. If you want you could send me a message, and I can see what he would charge for assembly and/or painting.

He is putting together six sets right now (four red from double sets from Kickstarter, one red double set I bought from eBay, and my gray play double set). I think he has two assembled, and is removing the other sets from the sprues while watching TV.

Now that Shadows of Brimstone is in the store, and one can buy a set for under $140. I am thinking of having him paint the two sets I have listed on eBay, and parceling out the rest for parts. I bought an extra set of gear and artifacts from eBay, so there must be a market. I also think the map tiles would be rather cool for D&D. We are using the CotA city set for our next Pathfinder session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.