16 Posts

Evolution» Forums » Variants

Subject: Card Idea: Meteor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David G

Colorado
msg tools
All species except "Body Size 1, Burrowing" go extinct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh

Love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Bowler
United States
Old Forge
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also known as Everyone played a negative food into the watering hole except one guy and the first player fed his little burrowing guy with the only food token. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghetty wrote:

Interaction cards like this could work, but I'm not sure they'd fit the thematically so very strong feel of the game. (You don't play a meteor on a species as a trait.)

Some of my ideas:

[Herbivores]

Flying (max body size of 2 (or 3))
Swimming
Fast/Agile (regardless of player order, gets to take 1 food from watering hole first)
(--> all three can only be caught by ditto predators)

[Herbivores: survival]

Endurance
(-->needs one less food than its pop to be able to not lose any pop)
Ruminate
(--> if there is no food in the watering hole, you can take food from food bag in time to save 1 pop)
Hibernate
(--> can go without food for 1 round, cannot add any traits this round)

[Herbivores: defense]

Spines
(--> basically horns, but the greater your body size, the more they sting/kill [e.g. 1/2 = 1pop, 3/4 = 2pop])
Poisonous
(--> would require poison tokens (every two poison counters = discard one trait))
Hive
(--> not fully worked this one out yet but sth like: add pop of (one of your) neighbouring species to your body size when attacked))

[Carnivores]

Acute sense of smell
(--> this predator can attack burrowing animals)
Strong
(-->can attack animals with same (or 1 bigger) body size)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghetty wrote:

It would be an interesting variant to make for a random game end / length. Play until someone draws the Meteor! Eat while you can!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Bowler
United States
Old Forge
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'm not sure how it would make sense for anything to force a species to discard a trait (Poison is more likely to kill something than to make the entire species forget how to climb or lose horns, etc.) Maybe have it kill off a second population when it attacks? Or any species that scavenges from an animal killed by a species with poison loses one population (the meat is tainted)?

Spines seems like a pretty cool idea, but it would nullify the horns card (or just flat out replace it)... unless someone decided to have both, which would just be nuts to attack.

With flying, I would also add that a flying carnivore can attack a species with climbing and/or swimming, but I'd say no need for body size limitation. Unless someone is making a flying carnivore, they most likely wouldn't up body size much, and if they are, why not have a dino-sized flying species? Non-nom-idactyl anyone

Side question about climbing, flying, and swimming: would these traits need to be mutually exclusive (i.e. if you have one you can't have any other) or would something be able to both swim and fly?

With hive, you could have something like for every 2 or 3 population it gives the species +1 body size when attacked... kinda like a combination between defensive herding and hard shell

I do like the meteor card variable where you maybe pull the last 20-25 cards, shuffle that in with them, and when that shows up it wipes out all species larger than a certain body size without burrowing. Put that, when drawn, this card must be played into the watering hole as "food" and that round is the final round of gameplay. Heck, I'd almost be tempted to create that card just to see how it'd change the end game mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmytro Tshakhilov
msg tools
mbmbmb
Activates if played as food card. This card can not be player on species, but can be discarded for activation of Intelegence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghetty wrote:

Related to my own "Heat Death of the Universe" card (entire game stops, is never played again, nor are any of the components ever disturbed again)

As an aside, having cards that can be played as events rather than traits is a cool idea for bringing in environmental factors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
milomilo122 wrote:
As an aside, having cards that can be played as events rather than traits is a cool idea for bringing in environmental factors.
I would suggest that events take place after the feeding phase of the current turn. Give the dinosaurs one last hurrah before the meteor hits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G

Colorado
msg tools
The meteor card idea was from my 9 year old son. He was joking. I love the ideas people have come up with, though, particularly Nick's idea of event cards.

BTW - my boys (9 and 7) love this game. The latin and pseudo-latin prefixes and suffixes on the player aids are a huge hit. Throughout the game they'll name their species, and then describe to me what they would look like in real life. Classic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G

Colorado
msg tools
ryudoowaru wrote:
milomilo122 wrote:
I would suggest that events take place after the feeding phase of the current turn. Give the dinosaurs one last hurrah before the meteor hits.

If it were shuffled into the back 3rd of the deck (a la Pandemic), you would never know when it was going to come up. Interesting idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghetty wrote:
The meteor card idea was from my 9 year old son. He was joking. I love the ideas people have come up with, though, particularly Nick's idea of event cards.

We love it too. That's one of the greatest things about this game: it's really, really fun coming up with new card ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vagabond22 wrote:
Personally, I'm not sure how it would make sense for anything to force a species to discard a trait (Poison is more likely to kill something than to make the entire species forget how to climb or lose horns, etc.) Maybe have it kill off a second population when it attacks? Or any species that scavenges from an animal killed by a species with poison loses one population (the meat is tainted)?

By killing off traits one could argue you mimic the crippling effect of poison. I was trying to think of other ways to 'hurt' carnivores (and herbivores, if the carnivore is poisonous, it can attack this way too), and this is the one I came up with. Basically the idea is that it hurts over time. Definitely not sure my basic idea is the best

Vagabond22 wrote:
Spines seems like a pretty cool idea, but it would nullify the horns card (or just flat out replace it)... unless someone decided to have both, which would just be nuts to attack.

It would be an option. Again, I was thinking that bigger animals are more dangerous to attack.

Vagabond22 wrote:
With flying, I would also add that a flying carnivore can attack a species with climbing and/or swimming, but I'd say no need for body size limitation. Unless someone is making a flying carnivore, they most likely wouldn't up body size much, and if they are, why not have a dino-sized flying species? Non-nom-idactyl anyone

he climbing bit is an excellent idea. Would make the flying card very powerful, though... Which is why I wouldn't mind having limitations to it.

Vagabond22 wrote:
Side question about climbing, flying, and swimming: would these traits need to be mutually exclusive (i.e. if you have one you can't have any other) or would something be able to both swim and fly?

Good point. I'm not sure. Swimming and climbing do seem to be an odd pair, but I reckon there are exceptions out there (soaring is not flying, obviously).

Vagabond22 wrote:
With hive, you could have something like for every 2 or 3 population it gives the species +1 body size when attacked... kinda like a combination between defensive herding and hard shell

Great suggestion!

Vagabond22 wrote:
I do like the meteor card variable where you maybe pull the last 20-25 cards, shuffle that in with them, and when that shows up it wipes out all species larger than a certain body size without burrowing. Put that, when drawn, this card must be played into the watering hole as "food" and that round is the final round of gameplay. Heck, I'd almost be tempted to create that card just to see how it'd change the end game mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gameson
United Kingdom
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
milomilo122 wrote:
Ghetty wrote:

We love it too. That's one of the greatest things about this game: it's really, really fun coming up with new card ideas.

Oh for sure! Brings back a Yoda quote lol..."Truly wonderful the mind of a child is"...

But then games bring out the big kids in all of us lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Collins
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
CF Vapors - Alternative to Smoking
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice Idea...

It could also mean a re-shuffle of the deck, and then remove the Meteor Card before reshuffle. The card would have to be played as part of the watering hole to take effect, or it could be be used as a discard for population/body size/species/intelligence trait cost and it's effect would not take place in that game.

So there would be only one Meteor card in the game (optional?) This would be a great expansion card idea - would need to be sure there was enough food available for a "reset" and play through another deck and extending the game length...possible up to twice as long depending when the card was played.

Another idea would be a card that you could play that would auto-extinct one of your own species and allow you draw the additional cards for losing that species traits. This would also allow you to lose that "middle-species" that is in the way of your other species you want next to each other. Not a strong card, but may have an occasional use by some players.
Unexplained Extinction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slyzx1 wrote:
Nice Idea...

It could also mean a re-shuffle of the deck, and then remove the Meteor Card before reshuffle. The card would have to be played as part of the watering hole to take effect, or it could be be used as a discard for population/body size/species/intelligence trait cost and it's effect would not take place in that game.

So there would be only one Meteor card in the game (optional?) This would be a great expansion card idea - would need to be sure there was enough food available for a "reset" and play through another deck and extending the game length...possible up to twice as long depending when the card was played.

Another idea would be a card that you could play that would auto-extinct one of your own species and allow you draw the additional cards for losing that species traits. This would also allow you to lose that "middle-species" that is in the way of your other species you want next to each other. Not a strong card, but may have an occasional use by some players.
Unexplained Extinction.

To be clear, a meteor card, as described here, would be too powerful by about ~1000%, as it would almost entirely reset the game and obviate all the strategizing which had come before. Pretty sure the suggestion by the OP was a little tongue-in-cheek (though correct me if I'm wrong - I'm often wrong)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.