Derrek McNab
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lately I have been introducing SE 4x to new players by having them play the solitaire version before getting into a standard game with others.

Edit:
I have just created this: http://i.imgur.com/3jBl2FS.png

Hopefully it will help a new player learn all the aspects of the basic game, such as 2:1 bonuses per round, how ships attack a colony every turn if undefended, and diversity of ships.

I prefer it to be something short and sweet, and keep the new player constantly engaged without a second co-op player to wait for

A more applied-knowledge situation when playing with real players.

The main disadvantage I see is having Enemy ships constantly roll to attack a colony and not move, especially SCs. I have a lot of tweaking to do to balance putting more ships to the slowness of them destroying colonies compared to a Doomsday Machine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are playing it with them I'd recommend playing the co-op version of the Alien scenarios introduced in Close Encounters. If you don't own the expansion check out the scenario book here on BGG, it shouldn't be too hard to adapt.
Since it's co-op you can play with your ships out in the open and talk them through the first couple turns as well as why you are making the decisions you are making.

The aliens also aren't that difficult to run. There are even some automated programs for them floating around here on BGG. I haven't used them though, so I can't recommend which one is best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek McNab
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw that. but I have been teaching people at an FLGS, so I don't always have an app handy and was looking for something a bit shorter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
That is so cool! I will confess to never thinking of it. Having waves of fleets come in similar to a Doomsday Machine is brilliant!

The png file you linked is low enough quality that I have a hard time reading it. You should definitely put up a higher quality file in the files section. The co-op scenarios in the expansion are quite involved, whereas this is not. I could see this as being a nice intro to new players as well as being a nice bridge between the DM scenarios and the Alien scenarios for the solitaire player.

Here is an idea to consider - you could have an advanced version where there was some variability in the fleets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek McNab
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit: I just defeated the first fleet at Econ6 of 1 CA, 3 DD, and 5 SC, and second fleet at Econ8 of 1 BB, 2 BC, 3 CA, 4 DD.

Thanks for the idea, I had considered making a second page for advanced rules, but I tend to stick with little things and tweak them constantly before moving on. i'll upload a better image elsewhere, so I'm not bothering the BGG admins every single time I update until its finished.

A solo variant with advanced rules sounds like it would be easy to make for new players.

In that case, I thought about NOT having them random. The enemy would be pre-determined depending on difficulty, that way its 100% guaranteed a new player gets to see how mine sweepers work with mines, destroyers work with raiders, and scouts work with fighters.

Then there are wackier ideas in my head:

Enemy fleets of 15-20 ships each, but NO minesweepers, meaning the game would be all about rushing strategic mine placement based on where they spawn.

You start the game with one Dreadnaught always floating safely in deep space, if it dies in combat, you lose, showing how to get your troops into the fray as fast as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kerred wrote:
I'll upload a better image elsewhere, so I'm not bothering the BGG admins every single time I update until its finished.

It would be easier to find if you upload the image to BGG files.

kerred wrote:
Enemy fleets of 15-20 ships each, but NO minesweepers, meaning the game would be all about rushing strategic mine placement based on where they spawn.

The AI could evolve depending on what it encounters through out the game. Something like amoebas do in the expansion. For instance when enemy fleet encounters mines, a die is rolled and something like 7+ the next fleet is immune to mines or the next fleet have some minesweepers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek McNab
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll upload it to BGG this week, I made some more changes, and have that as my first draft.

The other ones i'll play around with and probably make them into "1-page" packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I would like would be some kind of multiplayer cooperative Doomsday scenario. The Doomsday game is really fun for new players and I have thought about running a game where I would handle all the rules and let several players run a single territory and make group decisions about what strategy they would like to pursue to fight the DMs. However that got me to thinking, what if you had several player territories with more Doomsday machines appearing and heading off for the player territories in some sort of random fashion. The twist would be that if the DMs ever destroyed one of the players home worlds they all would lose the game, so if one player was getting especially clobbered by DMs it would be up to the others to try and send out rescue fleets. Perhaps this wouldn't work terribly well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TomW731 wrote:
One thing I would like would be some kind of multiplayer cooperative Doomsday scenario. The Doomsday game is really fun for new players and I have thought about running a game where I would handle all the rules and let several players run a single territory and make group decisions about what strategy they would like to pursue to fight the DMs. However that got me to thinking, what if you had several player territories with more Doomsday machines appearing and heading off for the player territories in some sort of random fashion. The twist would be that if the DMs ever destroyed one of the players home worlds they all would lose the game, so if one player was getting especially clobbered by DMs it would be up to the others to try and send out rescue fleets. Perhaps this wouldn't work terribly well.

You mean like the co-op DM scenarios introduced in the expansion?
The scenario book is accessible here on BGG, so you can check it out and see if it's what you had in mind.
I haven't tried it, but it shouldn't be too hard to adjust it to be used with just the base game rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris V.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the co-op doomsday scenario actually works pretty well with just the base game counters (and a few rules from the expansion). My session report is here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/886712/doomsday-machine-2p-c...

Wow, have I really been a fan of this game since 2012?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, didn't notice that and I even have the expansion blush

But great, I may get the neighbors over this weekend and I'll have to break it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.