4 Posts

Twilight Struggle» Forums » Rules

Subject: "Discard" question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex G
Canada
flag msg tools
When discarding a card as a result of an event effect (Bear Trap/Quagmire for example, or Blockade), if the discarded card is an opponent's event, does the event trigger? We ruled that it doesn't, but it ended up being quite a big advantage, as it allowed target player to get rid of unwanted cards. Both times when Blockade came up, US player discarded a strong Soviet event that he would have to hold/space otherwise. It just felt weird.

Could someone please clarify this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You played it right. It doesn't specify whose event it has to be, and enemy events do not trigger on a discard. The trick is to play Blockade when you want, not when your opponent wants. (When the opponent is under Red Scare/Purge is a popular time for the USSR to play it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G
Canada
flag msg tools
My girlfriend actually just found a line in the rules that answers this. Had to be after I posted, of course. Thanks for the response!

We didn't have any other big issues, although we nearly missed the space race discard rule. I absolutely love the game, even though I lost both plays as US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Barnhart
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you are starting, US often loses. Don't sweat that part. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.