Hide
4 Posts

Coup: Reformation» Forums » Variants

Subject: Variant: Blocking Coups rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Anon
msg tools
My friends and I have played Coup for quite a while, and we've started playing with a variation that makes the game a little more strategic and a little less luck-based (in our opinion), while adding an interesting dynamic and depth to the presence of the Inquisitor role.

Variant: You can block a coup aimed at you by claiming to have two of the same card (you must claim a specific character, e.g. "I block your coup because I have two Captains").

Obviously some pairs are more defensible than others, Contessas coming to mind immediately, but with the presence of even a single Inquisitor in the game (or a bluffed one), a player can force a player claiming a pair to return one of their pair to the deck for a new card.

Like any other bluff, if you get called on it and don't have it then you'll lose a card. You're doing it to block a coup, so you'll lose your other card too and immediately be out.

The groups I've played with have really loved this variant, so please give it a shot and let me know what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fast
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm curious if you came up with this variant on your own, or are you reporting your experience with the proposed twins variant?

If this is your own idea, what makes it different? If anything?

Rikki, the designer, chimed in to say that the idea of claiming twins was something he had never considered, though he also wondered if there was the potential for a stalemate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Anon
msg tools
Oh, I had no idea someone else had come up with the idea, too. I read through their variant and we played it only slightly differently.

We didn't allow inactive cards to count toward pairs, so only players who hadn't lost a character yet could block coups.

We also only play it with the Inquisitors in the deck, not with Ambassadors (double contessas felt way overpowered with this variant in the base game).

There is the potential for a stalemate if both sides claim twins, depending on what is claimed, and neither side calls them on it. However, most games don't develop this way since any Inquisitor can ruin someone's pair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Van Hovannisian
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
I was just doing research on variants, and none of them really appealed to me until I saw this. Great idea. I am definitely going to use it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.