Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffery Bass
United States
San Carlos
California
flag msg tools
badge
What's this? Why, it's the Hiller Flying Platform! It flew in 1955.
mbmbmbmbmb
Because your game-playing enjoyment would not be complete without a peek at a real Kanban card (for ordering parts)!

A kanban.

Back in "the day", the kanbans (part vouchers) would physically collect in a central area...

Kanban storage area at Toyota Motomachi Plant, c. 1970

Make sure the needed parts get to the assembly line in time!

Toyota production line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forty One
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like they'll be a be able to fix anything with those giant rolls of gaffer tape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Horton
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice picture. Those are actually rolls of steel before they are stamped into parts. I am an engineer at a Tier 1 automotive manufacturer and the Kanban process has changed very little over the years and is still a widely used scheduling method for the Toyota Production System. These days it is more commonly called a Lean or Just-In-Time (JIT) Production System.

The scheduling boards at each of our presses look almost identical to the ones in this picture with each card representing a different job or part number. They are used to keep track of what jobs need to run in our presses, and in what order, so we keep our assembly cells supplied with parts but don't overproduce parts which can cause other logistical issues.

It is pretty comical to me that my everyday job has been made in to a game. Also the way the factory manager can be "nice" or "mean" is a great touch. Then there is the meetings; if only I could do away with that part of the real life game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Uhler
United States
Commerce City
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My buddy printed off some Kanban cards and pasted them on cardboard...miniaturized them and we use them to keep track of how many shifts folks have left on their turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Weber
United States
Coal Valley
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
I really just love games
mbmbmbmbmb
ChildeRoland wrote:
Nice picture. Those are actually rolls of steel before they are stamped into parts. I am an engineer at a Tier 1 automotive manufacturer and the Kanban process has changed very little over the years and is still a widely used scheduling method for the Toyota Production System. These days it is more commonly called a Lean or Just-In-Time (JIT) Production System.

The scheduling boards at each of our presses look almost identical to the ones in this picture with each card representing a different job or part number. They are used to keep track of what jobs need to run in our presses, and in what order, so we keep our assembly cells supplied with parts but don't overproduce parts which can cause other logistical issues.

It is pretty comical to me that my everyday job has been made in to a game. Also the way the factory manager can be "nice" or "mean" is a great touch. Then there is the meetings; if only I could do away with that part of the real life game...

The big question I want to know, will you play this game or is it "too close to home"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.