Ireland
Kildare
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: Splendor £12.50 at iqgaming.co.uk
yorkrambler wrote:
dghughes wrote:

It's in French

Strange that a UK store would stock the french version. I see the box is french but nothing in the description about the language.

Has anyone used these guys before, it will not let me check out with paypal which makes me nervous,keeps giving error communicating with paypal

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lizzy Wizzy
Netherlands
Ede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And its out of stock now :-)
Shame, was doubting about delivery costs and it went...
Great spot though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hughes
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
panpan wrote:
yorkrambler wrote:
dghughes wrote:

It's in French

Strange that a UK store would stock the french version. I see the box is french but nothing in the description about the language.

Has anyone used these guys before, it will not let me check out with paypal which makes me nervous,keeps giving error communicating with paypal

Can't vouch for their mail order system, but it's my local shop and they are reliable in person

I think the owner did some wheeling and dealing at Essen which is probably why it's the French version.

Anyway, it's gone now so it's all academic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyn Roddis
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sad times, I got distracted and when I went to pay it was gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't get through with PayPal either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this a technique to drive traffic without actually selling many copies at the cut price? I seem to recall another recent offer at a great price that disappeared within an hour or two...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
Is this a technique to drive traffic without actually selling many copies at the cut price?

Given that nearly all discount offers are a technique to drive traffic*, my guess would be "yes"!.

* (The other discount offers being a technique to get rid of old crap that nobody wants, which only works in our favour when the "nobody" is the mainstream market; cf. The Works.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Wardle
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a Christmas promotional event that ties in with the launch of the shop's website. It's not a large shop so stock isn't high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apart from some limited special offers, what's the point of this store?

It looks like yet another of a growing number of UK retailers offering uncompetitive prices and no discernible value added.

I wish this market would consolidate. A plethora of pointless retailers are dragging it down. What's needed is a more limited number of bigger players which can bring in new fans and bring prices down.

At the moment, it seems like we have a lot of questionable vehicles whose raison d'etre is to offer cheap deals to their friends, but which do precious little to expand the market.

Selling a couple of copies of splendor at a cheap price, whilst offering a pile of overpriced games is not a very compelling proposition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hughes
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:

It looks like yet another of a growing number of UK retailers offering uncompetitive prices and no discernible value added.

I wish this market would consolidate. A plethora of pointless retailers are dragging it down. What's needed is a more limited number of bigger players which can bring in new fans and bring prices down.

At the moment, it seems like we have a lot of questionable vehicles whose raison d'etre is to offer cheap deals to their friends, but which do precious little to expand the market.

Selling a couple of copies of splendor at a cheap price, whilst offering a pile of overpriced games is not a very compelling proposition.

While you are generally right, this isn't a guy selling to his friends it's a bricks and mortar store which has branched out to online sales. It charges the same online as it offers in store. It's currently doing a Christmas promotion and, although stocks are limited, I thought at least a few people here would be able to grab a good deal.

Wether there pricing policy is competitive is obviously debatable, but it's what they've chosen to go with.

I'm in no way affiliated to the store btw, but I do game there on occasion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl G
United Kingdom
Taunton, England
Somerset
flag msg tools
dghughes wrote:

I thought at least a few people here would be able to grab a good deal.

I got one thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Wardle
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had posted a defence in reply to the question "what's the point of this store?" but have deleted it as I think the reviews from Facebook are a more obvious answer.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/IQ-Games-Centre/1673305567675...

I am not affiliated with the store and can totally understand why some people will want to pay less than the recommended retail price for their games. Other people would like to support their local communities and businesses. For full disclosure, I also use a milk man rather than buy it at a supermarket.

Thanks Dan for pointing out the offer, even if I didn't get one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Gibson
United Kingdom
Taunton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirKarlg wrote:
dghughes wrote:

I got one thank you.

I thought you weren't buying any more games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dghughes wrote:

Wether there pricing policy is competitive is obviously debatable, but it's what they've chosen to go with.

I'm not sure where the debate is here. It charges more than competitors for the same thing.

If its bricks and mortar store is bringing in new players and new converts to this hobby, then I'm all for it. Congrats, and that model has my full support.

But I see absolutely no need for yet another online store which charges higher prices than other online stores for exactly the same product. This market is way too fragmented already, and its reached a point where I'm paying less to ship games from retailers in mainland Europe than by buying from UK stores.

There is a problem here. It should not be considerably cheaper for me to order an individual game from a retailer on the continent. I am coming to believe that the proliferation of online retailers in the UK which appear to offer nothing else than cheaper prices for their friends is part of the problem.

I obviously don't know about this particular store. In general, I question the received wisdom that "FLGS" serve any purpose unless they are actively running events and promotions that bring new people in. If this shop does that, that's awesome, and I wish it all the best.

I still won't be paying its pointlessly higher online prices though. And I won't be getting excited by promotions that are gone almost as soon as they are posted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Gibson
United Kingdom
Taunton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Their prices seem pretty competitive to me. I can't see what the fuss is about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:

If its bricks and mortar store is bringing in new players and new converts to this hobby, then I'm all for it. Congrats, and that model has my full support.

But I see absolutely no need for yet another online store which charges higher prices than other online stores for exactly the same product.

If it's a brick and mortar shop that's just added an online presence, then even if nothing else it serves the purpose of letting prospective customers of that shop know what the prices are and what kind of stuff they have in stock. And I know I've sometimes been happy to find brick and mortar shops selling stuff online for RRP rather than discounting when the thing I'm buying is out of stock everywhere else and there's no sign on restocking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl G
United Kingdom
Taunton, England
Somerset
flag msg tools
JamieGibson wrote:
SirKarlg wrote:
dghughes wrote:

I got one thank you.

I thought you weren't buying any more games?

Indeed.
Good call. A Christmas present.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Dales
United Kingdom
Nr. Goole
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
I obviously don't know about this particular store.

If you didn't know about this particular store, why did you feel the need to jump in with both feet and rip them to pieces (if you'll forgive the mixed metaphor):

MrMT wrote:

I really don't know what they've done to warrant such vitriol. I'd never heard of this store before, but I now know two things: (1) they've sold me a copy of Splendor at a very good price, and (2) I now have another FLGS within 30 mins drive. Both of those are good things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Burke
England
Newcastle (aka Geordie Land)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sort of see what MrMT is getting at with some online stores in general that they start up and have vastly expensive prices compared to other established online retailers. They don't really offer a reason to buy from them and tend to not last long. I don't know this store but hopefully they have their business model right and do well. We need good online stores to grow and should support them. Now all we need is more distributors to bring prices down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Carley
Ireland
Kildare
flag msg tools
mbmb
I didn't get splendor but they did have a Star Wars Miniatures Slave 1 in stock which I could not find anywhere else. So without this bargain I would never have heard of them. So thanks to the OP and IQgaming.

Now still to find a Millenium Falcon before christmas.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.