Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also updated my game aid in the file section with the new expansion rules highlighted in orange. It's been cross-posted in the expansion and base game file sections.

Bruges with Expansion Game Aid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This might be the wrong place to ask, and I'll definitely make up my own opinion when I get the chance to read these rules, but does anybody consider this expansion a good purchase "out of the gate" when picking up the base game (like, for example, Keyflower: The Farmers, or anything for Cosmic Encounter), or is it more of a "add after you're bored" kind of expansion (like Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar – Tribes & Prophecies or Mice and Mystics: Heart of Glorm)?

In other words, do you think it makes learning the base game more complicated than it needs to be, or is it just flesh it out in an organic fashion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
In other words, do you think it makes learning the base game more complicated than it needs to be, or is it just flesh it out in an organic fashion?

I don't feel that it made the game complicated at all. It feels as though it's been the missing item from the base game. There was very little to be said as far as complexity. It also has three different optional modules to play with (sorry I don't consider the 5 player a module, but kind of a necessity if you chose to play that many). I feel that all those modules combined still keeps the game simple. I purchased Bruges and the expansion at the same time (although I did play the base game prior), and felt it was a purchase well met. If I feel at least anything negative to say about it, the added expansion almost has too many options in a 2 player and questionably a 3 player game not allowing for as much competition to what may be more favorable option to both players, but it does still have a decent balance.

TL;DR - A worthy purchase with little to hardly any complexity. It felt like it should've been with the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
I have also updated my game aid in the file section with the new expansion rules highlighted in orange. It's been cross-posted in the expansion and base game file sections.

Bruges with Expansion Game Aid

Thanks! This is awesome! It will definitely help with keeping tracks with the added steps =D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Turner
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play this exclusively as a two player game and the expansion is now an essential part of the game for us. It adds a small amount of upkeep and a little setup time, but the resulting improvement is worth the effort. If I were to try and stage it out, I would consider holding back on the market cards for a game or two since they modify the basic actions a bit. The Zwin ships give you something to do with rolls of 3 and 4, and it seems like it would be easy to explain how they work when initially explaining the canal actions to people.

DrMalevolent wrote:
If I feel at least anything negative to say about it, the added expansion almost has too many options in a 2 player and questionably a 3 player game not allowing for as much competition to what may be more favorable option to both players, but it does still have a decent balance.

I don't really see how it adds too many options unless you are referring to the market. I was concerned about this at first since they don't make any modifications regarding the number of uses for lesser player counts. I've played the expansion 6 times or so now and I don't think there's been a time where we used this action more than once or twice each in 2 player. I'm going to say my initial concern was unfounded. I don't even bother messing with the little scroll action markers anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCarty
United States
Agoura Hills
California
flag msg tools
Carrauntoohil
badge
Mt Whitney
mbmbmbmbmb
In our 2p games we're using 2 scrolls for each card to keep the market limited and scale if back from the 5/6 their would be in a game with more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I meant to say with the market =P Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alexander stark
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are not available at the moment. Is there another place to download it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Heath
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Ouch, watch where you're pointing that thing!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also like a pdf copy of the rules if anyone has them? No mention of the expansion on the Z-Man downloads page any more

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have a PDF copy of this? Seems internet archive also is missing this file.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sokolowsky
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently emailed asmodee and asked for it. They sent me a copy but did not answer my explicit request for permission to post it here. So send me a request either private or in this thread with your email address and I'll send it to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.