Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Signore
Italy
Napoli
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a question, not a flame or whatever else. Is anyone out there thinking that the expansions are overpriced, at least in Europe?
15 euros to get a single, unpainted 28mm miniature and 15 cards plus 4 pages of rules and scenarios. That's a pity.
The game is awesome, don't get me wrong. I bought it at Essen and I play it every week... so great! But 15€ for a single miniature... that's a bit too much. With the same price I buy a starfighter for X-Wing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course they are overpriced. Everything about it is overpriced. It is a simple piece of plastic and some paper cards. Sure, we do not only pay for the material, but also for the intellectual effort that goes into producing this game, but it still is way to expensive. But, since we buy it anyway, they can claim the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Seidler
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Intellectual effort for producing a Descent clone? That's very funny!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When has anything star wars not been overpriced?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Angra wrote:
Just a question, not a flame or whatever else. Is anyone out there thinking that the expansions are overpriced, at least in Europe?
15 euros to get a single, unpainted 28mm miniature and 15 cards plus 4 pages of rules and scenarios. That's a pity.
The game is awesome, don't get me wrong. I bought it at Essen and I play it every week... so great! But 15€ for a single miniature... that's a bit too much. With the same price I buy a starfighter for X-Wing!

That stinks. The MSRP at CSI prior to any reduction is $9.99. You could wait till a bunch are out and order together to get at the reduced price. Maybe with the Asmodee merger shipping will be cheaper for them and the price will drop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Snider
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I think everything from FFG is overpriced nowadays, to the point that I've stopped buying from them. There is so much great choice in the game industry now that it's pretty easy to find fun, better valued games elsewhere (making it hard for me to justify a FFG purchase). Of course this is purely subjective (others will certainly disagree), and I do think that in terms of component quality FFG is still one of the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If people buy it and they make a profit, then it's not overpriced, at least not from a business stand-point.

I think FFG's prices are going up because their products are so plastic heavy. China's economy is booming compared to where it was a few years ago, and thus they are not as cheap of a place to get plastic miniatures produced anymore, and that pushes the price up.

But Chinese workers still work for much less than North American and European workers, so I'm not sure I can say it's overpriced. If everyone who worked on the product was making what would be considered fair wages from a Western viewpoint, they would still be much more expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was initially intrigued by this but considering how much stuff they are going to cash cow this into, I'm passing. It doesn't make sense for me to get involved in this as it would be like getting locked in to another LCG-type of game model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stripling
United States
Lowell
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
I was initially intrigued by this but considering how much stuff they are going to cash cow this into, I'm passing. It doesn't make sense for me to get involved in this as it would be like getting locked in to another LCG-type of game model.
Only if you get into skirmish. For the campaign mode, I bet you'd e fine with just picking up the big box expansions that are sure to come out regularly. It'd be the same as Descent, though that may not be good news in terms of wanting to reign in spending.
-ryanjamal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryanjamal wrote:
though that may not be good news in terms of wanting to reign in spending.

Yup, that's why I will avoid it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrisback79 wrote:

True. But at least someone had the idea to put Star Wars on it laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dunagan
United States
Clermont
GA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LX1986 wrote:
Chrisback79 wrote:

True. But at least someone had the idea to put Star Wars on it laugh

Now to wait for the Lord of the Rings version and/or Game of Thrones version. ninja

I think both universes would be sweet with the Descent game system.

However, having pre-ordered IA as soon as it was available I'm pretty excited about it. I do hope that it doesn't completely replace Descent for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wont happen as long as there is Descent and SWIA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG has become much more adept at extracting money from the consumer. Compare the amount of stuff you got in the original Descent versus the second version versus this…

Also notice how many generic characters the box starts with, forcing you to buy the cool characters one by one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This. It irritates me that each iconic character is going to essentially be a booster pack. I understand it, just don't like it. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Higdon
United States
madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not the intellectual effort, it's the intellectual property. FFG has to pay hefty licensing fees to use the Star Wars license. In turn, some of tat cost is passed on to the consumer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rkhigdon wrote:
It's not the intellectual effort, it's the intellectual property. FFG has to pay hefty licensing fees to use the Star Wars license. In turn, some of tat cost is passed on to the consumer.

I am pretty sure everyone is aware of this. It does not change the fact that it is overpriced nevertheless. If not the game itself, then it is the license which is overpriced. And as I already said before they can claim so much, because they get it. This is how economy works. But it still is too expensive for what it actually is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:

If you just play the campaign, all of these "expansions" are completely optional. They don't add much to a campaign, and the 'figures' are already represented by tokens in the box set.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you can get cheap stand ins from the old WoTC game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a couple of iconic characters in the base game, isn't there? Also, it's possible that some iconic characters will appear in big expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zemus wrote:
There's a couple of iconic characters in the base game, isn't there? Also, it's possible that some iconic characters will appear in big expansions.

You get everything in the base game to play all of the characters currently announced, although most of the iconic characters are represented by tokens only. You have both tokens and figures for:

• Luke Skywalker
• Darth Vader

All the iconic characters that appear in the mini-expansions are in the base box and fully playable, just with token instead of figures. These are:

• Han Solo
• Chewbacca
• IG-88
• General Weiss
• Royal Guard Champion

The other Ally packs also have tokens in the main box, although we won't have their Elite Deployment cards until the expansions arrive:

• Rebel Saboteurs
• Rebel Troopers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bum Kim
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Angra wrote:
But 15€ for a single miniature... that's a bit too much. With the same price I buy a starfighter for X-Wing!

Wow, that is expensive, $18.50 in US dollars. I pre-ordered most of the expansions for 6€ ($7.50) at Miniature Market. I don't think I would buy them if they cost that much.

Too bad Star Wars Command isn't the right scale for this game cause that would be super cheap alternatives:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Valnor
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I will probably end up buying any minis which appear in SW: epic duels.
Most definitely pick and choosing the expansion packs depending how I want to play skirmish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Montgomery
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angra wrote:

Yeah that's a crazy. Twice the cost of it here in the states.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sumsnu wrote:
I will probably end up buying any minis which appear in SW: epic duels.
Most definitely pick and choosing the expansion packs depending how I want to play skirmish.
Ummm...with the demand for that OP game, that'll be more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.