Subject: Oh Boy-GW know how to sucker in kids rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently sold some Citadel Chaos Maruaders on ebay. The bloke I bought them off asked if I had any other minatures. Indeed I do. So I dug them out of the shed and found some High Elf archers, swordsmen, flag bearer and general-all beautifully painted by a mate of mine.

So I discuss with the Mrs whether I should sell them to this bloke or keep them. You know stuff like-I really don't want the little fella to get into minatures (the painting and the costing) but if he does what's the current cost of minatures, etc.

While shopping yesterday she walks into a GW store to check out the prices. Well the little fella was captivated by the game setups.

"Wow, what's this?"
"Look at those trees mummy"
"What do the arrows on those dice mean"

Oh boy! GW know how to sucker those kids in.

I think I'll keep those minatures now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. My old Advanced Space Crusade Minis, and the Terminators & Tyranids box are saving my son and I a TON in GW costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McIlhatton
New Zealand
Palmerston North
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'd try and steer my kid away from the money-pits of WH and WH40K.

Some of the other games they put out weren't too bad in terms of investment needed like Man O War, Necromunda or Bloodbowl but I guess that's why they aren't supported in the stores any more.

Warmachine looks like something that could be gotten into with a minimal investment.

But in the early days I think the box of Space Hulk off eBay is the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lexingtonian
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is cheap, but I believe the figures are 25 mm, so they aren't perfectly compatible with the rest of the line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the Blood Pass models are all Orcs and Dwarves right? Maybe they just look 25mm. I think GW is an evil company, but they can't be THAT evil...can they? Warhammer and 40K never struck me as great games anyhow in terms of mechanics. Warmachine seems like a better buy, at least Privateer doesn't run online discounters out of business big trust style like GW does. Actually, as has been said earlier, all of GW's side games are great, and not too hard on the pocket book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bravey
United Kingdom
Stafford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they're the same scale (unlike the Lord of the Rings figures) but they're significantly less detailed than the 'standard' stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stubbs
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Innocent Bystander wrote:

Warmachine looks like something that could be gotten into with a minimal investment.

You can. You pay more for the individual models (if you can believe that) but it takes a whole lot fewer of them to do up a good force. Plus, you're not caught up in the "arms race" where the newer miniatures are more powerful than those in the base set. The core Warmachine units are just as competative as the new stuff. Definately a better game (and easier) than WHFB or WH40K.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Heaton
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I've heard, GW puts out a new series of miniatures every few years. If you want to play at their stores or in their tournements, you have to have the newer stuff. Your miniatures may not be usable by your child, if the kid gets really into the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Curtis Anderson wrote:
It is cheap, but I believe the figures are 25 mm, so they aren't perfectly compatible with the rest of the line.

The figures are not only 100% compatible, but available seperately in a few months for significantly more than the amazing deal of Blood Pass.

There is no difference in quality or size, merely a case of 'here kid, this first one's cheap'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, they've taken a hit, according to recent stock reports. A lot of that has to do with the target market they've been going for, pre-teens and early teens. This is the exact group who is likely to go for another fad in a big way when something else comes along. Older gamers have often moved on, to Warmachine and Confrontation (particularly in Europe). I think GW is finally trying to react to save market share...hopefully they'll get a clue...but long term I doubt it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.