tim p
United Kingdom
Margate
Kent
flag msg tools
My grandmother likes to play games but is in a large wheelchair and can't reach the table, also she can't see too well. She can use her hands OK but tends to drop stuff.

Are there any family game recommendations - for Christmas - there will be about 6-8 of us - nothing too heavy, but still challenging. Party games are OK and Say Anything, Apples to Apples etc.. would probably work. Are there others like that but a bit less Party like.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coup might work.

If she wants to hold cards, they make card holders for the disabled, which would be handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Perez
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maybe Sushi Go!. I don't think it will fit the number criteria

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwill2 wrote:
Coup might work.

If she wants to hold cards, they make card holders for the disabled, which would be handy.

Yeah, I'd find some card holders for her. They make things a lot easier.

Could you get her or juryrig a tray for her to put on the wheelchair? I know they make such things.

That way she would have her own table to play on. Adapting the environment seems like the better option over trying to just find games she can play with these limitations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Heiser
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't say the name here, but there is a game about...lycanthropes...that takes place over the course of...um...one revolution of the Earth. If her mind is sharp and she likes deduction games this might work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ollie Hunt
United Kingdom
Reading
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about a co-op?

Forbidden Desert maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wits & Wagers is a party/trivia game, but you can be good at either trivia or betting and still win.

Obviously, if other people are willing to move her piece(s) for her, more games open up. Eh, maybe a year ago there was a thread about games for someone who had a very short reach (inches). You might search for that one. I posted in it. There have also been threads about games for the blind, which while not quite your situation, might spark an idea. I don't know, there might be a thread about paralyzed gamers.

But I'm curious why something cant be done to make the table or a mini-table more accommodating. If you used a card table (4 legs at the corners), you could prop up the bottom of the legs to whatever height was needed to let her roll under it. Conversely, I'd imagine there has to be some kind of desk like attachment to the wheelchair itself. At least that would let her have cards there without fear of dropping them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cagey McCageface
United States
Clawson
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rheiser wrote:
I can't say the name here, but there is a game about...lycanthropes...that takes place over the course of...um...one revolution of the Earth. If her mind is sharp and she likes deduction games this might work.

A year is a long time to play werewolf...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim p
United Kingdom
Margate
Kent
flag msg tools
Her chair is at an angle as she has neck problems - she has mini-tables to the side but she can't get one in front of her as she is sort of reclined most of the time, but it might work to the side - the tables tend to get stacked up with pills, books etc.. might try and shift some stuff around. Thanks for the suggestions, i might try Wits and Wagers. And word games / story telling games might work which were mentioned in a related thread.

Recommended Games for a disabled person

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Telestrations has everyone passing a whiteboard set of pages drawing on it. Its an excellent party game, but I'm not sure her eyesight would allow her to get the best experience. The pictures are reasonably big though.

I think games like Resistance might be okay, if she's into the whole bluffing thing. Simple games like No Thanks and For Sale with basic numbers work well too I'd expect.

Co ops are also good like Forbidden Island.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.