GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,281 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Star Trek: Fleet Captains – Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: Storage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Prime Time
United States
New Plymouth
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anybody been able to get everything (both expansions and base game) into the base box? I'm trying to decide if there is some way to figure that out, but I'm curious if anybody has already tried and been successful at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Polenzani
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't see any need to as each of the expansions has those wonderful inserts that hold the ships snugly in place. And to make room in the base box would mean sacrificing those inserts. Additionally the base game box is so big I have to use my largest bag when I bring it to the FLGS so its no trouble to also toss in both the expansions in their respective boxes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prime Time
United States
New Plymouth
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the inserts help, but it takes up three boxes on my shelf...which is running very low on previous storage space...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I cut everything off the inserts that didn't hold ships, and the Romulan insert was additionally cut in half to make it fit in the base game box. The base game box holds all of the base game and Romulan ships. I bought a card holder box (one of those long white boxes they sell at game stores for like $1.50) which holds all of my sleeved cards (base game, Romulan, Dominion, Borg) safely. The Dominion and Borg ships are the problem now. I did have all the Borg ships shoved into any available space in the base game so that all I had to worry about was the base game box and the card box. But, with the release of the Dominion expansion, I have 12 more ships to store. There is no way to make the Dominion insert fit into the base game box, not matter how I trim it down. So, I have a small plastic sectioned card case that holds all of the Dominion and Borg ships in an upright standing position (except for the Queen's Diamond, which has to sit sideways). This is not the best solution but it beats that huge expansion box and it still keeps the ships reasonably safe in transit, as long as the case isn't dropped or anything.

I will take some pics this afternoon when I get home and add them to this thread to show how the layout works. Bottom line is; if you are going to use the inserts (and i strongly advise you do), you cannot get everything in the base game box.

I really want to look at someday upgrading to a custom Battlefoam-type storage solution... especially since the Romulan insert is a bit TOO snug at times and has a tendency to pop ships off their stands upon removal or insertion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prime Time
United States
New Plymouth
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking of getting some custom pluck foam and stand the ships up in those. Then, I could put all the ships in 2/3 of the original box. I'll have my wife make a foam-core insert for the rest of the pieces to fit in the remaining 1/3 of the box.

I assume the borg ships you are talking about come from a variant listed in the forums?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
primtim34 wrote:

I assume the borg ships you are talking about come from a variant listed in the forums?

Yes. http://boardgamegeek.com/article/16572854

cards can be printed at artscow http://www.artscow.com/gallery/playing-cards/berg-810labsdr0...

The ships i use are actually Wizkids' own ships re-purposed from their Tactics line. As I don't use the dials, but rather, sliders on the ship cards, the bases don't matter at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pics of my current storage solution:

Federation, Klingon, and Romulan ships all fit in the base game box, with some trimming to the inserts. All the game components, other than the Command/Mission/Encounter/Ship cards are under the inserts.

An inexpensive generic trading card storage box holds all the Mission/Command/Ship/Encounter cards, all of which are sleeved.

A plastic trading card storage box holds the Dominion and Borg ships and Deep Space Nine. Not as secure as the inserts, but, easier to transport than the Dominion expansion box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prime Time
United States
New Plymouth
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a link of how it all fits

http://daisydoodledice.com/2015/02/02/fleet-captains-foam-co...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.