Popular Tags: [View All]
Manuel
Portugal
Porto
Porto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello guys,

Yesterday I played two games of Medina (2P) and I think we got the rules down correctly right at first play, they're really easy to pick up but the game is so challenging, it was really fun.

There is however one thing that is bugging me, on the rules it says that the end of the game is triggered when a player does not have any components left but on a 2 player game that seems to be completely impossible, we had a lot of palace pieces left at the end of the game (and on one of the games I also ended up with two stables because I had no legal place to put them on [I know, that was really terrible planning]).

Shouldn't the rules read instead that the end of the game is triggered simply when you have no legal moves you can make?

Are we doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you playing the newest edition of the game?

I don't have the old rulebook in front of me, but I thought the rules said the game ends when each player has claimed four palaces each?

EDIT: This: http://boardspace.net/medina/english/medina-rules.html
It claims to be a port of the rulebook. Game ends when players can play no more pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel
Portugal
Porto
Porto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Jeremy,

Yes, I am playing the 2014 re-edition and the rulebook states that you should have no pieces left.

The rulebook is here: http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/108252/medina-rules-new-st...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel
Portugal
Porto
Porto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess I shouldn't make a big deal of it and continue playing up to the point where there are still legal moves left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
       This space              intentionally              left blank.
badge
Did you play according to the following rule? I strongly suspect not, and that this is why you had palace pieces left over.
Quote:
Important: When all players have claimed a palace with a rooftop in their colour, all buildings in that colour behind player screens are removed from the game, even if a palace isn't claimed with a neutral rooftop.

(The original rules also say that when all other players have placed all their rooftops, the sole player left with rooftops must play at least one rooftop per turn. I guess that's less desirable in a 2P game and that's why they removed that from the rules, though; but it certainly can mean that palace pieces linger longer than would be the case otherwise...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Medina (second edition).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.