Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am thinking of getting the five decks of either Commander 2013 or 2014. For casual play (with no deck building), is one of these editions somehow better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The new ones might be better for casual play only because they are mono-colored instead of 3 color decks, leading to less mana issues. That said, the 3 color decks tend to give plenty of mana fixing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We picked up 3 of the 2013 ones and have fun with those. The 3 colors lead to interesting play because you might be looking for particular colors at the beginning. Stuff like that.

We are going to get some of the 2014 ones because you can have planewalkers as commanders in those. They look pretty fun and color vs color seems interesting.

Any set, 2013 or 2014, should be balanced between each other. I'd just pick ones that look the most fun to play for your group.

Since things are casual, it's more about which ones look the most fun, just go for it!

Maus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
The new ones might be better for casual play only because they are mono-colored instead of 3 color decks, leading to less mana issues.
I had an negative experience with most of my Commander 2014 games of Duel Commander: they were lopsided. Maybe their mono-colored nature contributed: it was so easy to get mana that the player who got ahead in mana (through luck or by using Teferi) was ahead by quite a lot of mana and had a huge advantage. Maybe it would actually be better to have to struggle a bit for mana with a multi-color deck, as long as both players struggle a bit and have to display some ingenuity in order to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt A
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the first edition Commander decks are pricey but great. I would stick with the 2013 decks because they are cheap and a little easier to play with. The new Mono color decks are powerfull with the introduction of Planeswalkers as commanders and once one of these decks hits its combos it's hard to recover from the beat down these decks can dish out. Commander is a great format and hope you enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric O. LEBIGOT
France
Versailles
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mattcalaho wrote:
the first edition Commander decks are pricey but great. I would stick with the 2013 decks because they are cheap and a little easier to play with. The new Mono color decks are powerfull with the introduction of Planeswalkers as commanders and once one of these decks hits its combos it's hard to recover from the beat down these decks can dish out.
Good to know.

Now that I got Commander 2014 (at a premium, here in China), I'll stick with it, though (I have many Duel Decks back in France, for two-player games). I am still looking forward to trying it multiplayer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.