Jesse Bouvier
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Folks, here's the situation:

My GF will play and usually enjoy just about anything I like (mostly euros)in a group/family situation. But only occasionally is she up for a 2p game with me. Part of this is because in that one-on-one context, she hates losing (which she does no more than 50% of the time). Her tastes, though, are hard for me to pin down. She hated Tzolk'in (felt it was too opaque I think), didn't especially care for Keyflower (again maybe because the strategy/goals weren't immediately obvious so she felt like she lacked direction for her play), quite liked Castles of Burgundy and her current fave appears to be Trajan. One common thread is that she's not into direct conflict (we don't play to block in TtR for instance). In the past we've enjoyed Jaipur, Carcassonne, and Dominion (until I started playing the latter two online and she felt like she could no longer compete). Anyway, I'm happy playing more Trajan and CoB for now, but I'd like to get something new to keep things fresh for the odd weekend game with my gal. Thoughts?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikola
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My GF enjoys a good game of Lewis & Clark. There is no direct conflict and you kinda build your own engine for travelling further down the river, so the goal is definitely there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HB BD
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My husband and I enjoy CoB a lot and we are getting into Trajan. Try looking at Castles of Mad King Ludwig, obvious goals, and since she enjoys Carcassonne, she will likely enjoy the tile laying aspect.

Another one we enjoy is Progress: Evolution of technology. The goals are obvious, and it is fun to build on the tech tree.

Troyes is also great as it has a semi-coop element to it, but still has some of the fun elements of CoB. Check out Rahdo Runs Through, his video really shows the highlights of this one. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/24440/troyes/rahdo-runs-t...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jane
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Waterdeep or possibly any Feld game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morrison
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just chiming in to say good luck! I also put up a post similar to yours, but my gf's tastes are much more old-school: Sorry!, Life, etc. I'm slightly envious that your gf is into Euros.

Happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My missus also loves Castles of Burgundy and Trajan.

She also likes Race for the Galaxy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Bouvier
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the insight, people! Lewis and Clark and Castles of Mad King Whatsit have just shot to the top of my wish list.

I'm afraid, however,that RFTG is a non-starter due to theme and iconography. Lords of Waterdeep I've found a bit boring.

Any particular title for a third Feld?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Grimes
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Macao
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Bouvier
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good stuff--Macao is already on my wish list. I am a bit worried that she won't like the wind rose, though--the timing might be tricky like the gears in Tzolk'in, which she claims to have had trouble with (though I feel like she didn't really give it a chance).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lewis & Clark is a good idea. I would also suggest Suburbia, which has some of the tile building/combo making stuff of CoB.

Another one worth looking in to would be Cinque Terre - very bright and colorful, you can take and play card combos a bit like TTR, but no blocking or stealing. There are two public cards showing, and it's possible that the other person might finish one before you do, but boards and public and with 2p it's pretty obvious who's in line for what card. There are also private goal cards that only you can do, so if you focus on those, or just sell to cities directly, you don't have to worry about the other person at all.

Walnut Grove is worth looking at if you see a copy for a good price. You build up your area with tiles, which allows you to gather more resources, and then use those resources to buy/build things like bonus tiles or storage sheds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
parapalooka wrote:
Good stuff--Macao is already on my wish list. I am a bit worried that she won't like the wind rose, though--the timing might be tricky like the gears in Tzolk'in, which she claims to have had trouble with (though I feel like she didn't really give it a chance).

Synchronizing future actions in Macao is somewhat easy-- the windrose does the visualization for you. (i.e. If you're trying to get shipments of red, blue and purple cubes to arrive all at the same time, you don't have to mentally track "that's four turns from now... okay, now it's three..." -- you just look down and, whatever spot already has red and blue cubes on it, that's the one you want to put purple cubes on.)

Also, it's really really good.

I haven't played Notre Dame with 2, but it's become my favorite Feld after Macao and Trajan, and there's no direct conflict. Out of print in English, but Board Game Bliss usually has German copies available. (The game itself is language-free and there's a printable English rulebook on BGG.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Bouvier
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice--bonus points for Cinque Terre because we've always wanted to visit (though I understand it would be a bit tricky since I use a wheelchair)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
parapalooka wrote:
Thanks for the insight, people! Lewis and Clark and Castles of Mad King Whatsit have just shot to the top of my wish list.

I'm afraid, however,that RFTG is a non-starter due to theme and iconography. Lords of Waterdeep I've found a bit boring.

Any particular title for a third Feld?

A word of caution about Lewis and Clark: it has a relatively steep learning curve and the game can get very frustrating as the game has many elements that conspire to hamper your attempts to do things. You often have the feeling you are not making progress in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brennan Flora
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My girlfriend and I play a lot of games together. She's pretty competitive, and really doesn't like to lose. We really enjoy cooperative and semi-cooperative games.

Flash Point: Fire Rescue
Freedom: The Underground Railroad
Pandemic

For those times we want direct competition, we love Lost Cities and Puzzle Strike (Third Edition).

Relaxed games we love include:
Alhambra
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Firefly: The Game
Fresco
Galaxy Trucker

Other assorted winners:
Puerto Rico
Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game
Spyrium
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goldfinger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Fresco, Alhambra

Finca - but may need to find a used copy

Suburbia
Africana

If she hates losing maybe look at getting a co-op game...at least if she loses she will not be alone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brennan Flora
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A third Feld?

In the Year of the Dragon is probably my favorite Feld.

However, Amerigo is really cool--even with two. You can it fiercely or friendly (like TTR without blocking).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have a similar experience. We also play a lot of Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne with not-conflict styles -- we actively try to avoid blocking in TtR and don't purposefully try to steal or neutralize cities/farmers in Carc. Oddly enough, my wife isn't really conflict-averse, but she is so in games.

Some games that we enjoy, and that I would suggest considering (including an * to any game that has an iOS, Android, or PC app--not sure if you guys are really into cardboard, but we tend to do most of our play relaxing before bed on our iDevices, where we can get a lot of play in in a short time. Pocket TtR is excellent for this, and I think it's free?)

San Juan* - absolutely no "conflict", but there is interaction with role selection that prevents it from feeling too much like multi-player solitaire

Ascension: Deckbuilding Game* - competitive game where you are buying from a shared, ever changing tableu, so there is interaction. and in a minor sense there is conflict, only in that one type of card remains in play in front of you until an opponent takes a type of action that causes you to discard it. But very minor in that regard.

Gloom - Okay, this is direct conflict, but it's a really funny game, and turns traditional conflict into humor inducing.

Ra* - A Reiner Knizia auction-style set collection game. Very entertaining and highly rated. Was re-implemented by Priests of Ra, which is the version we own and play.

Saint Petersburg - Just recently reprinted. You are both buying from the same tableau, so you are competing for items, but not actually -doing- anything to each other.

Now, my wife does NOT like typical Euros, and seems allergic to anything wooden cubes. You seem not to suffer from that fate, so allow me to suggest a few other games based around your pre-requisites:

In the Year of the Dragon - One of my favorite Feld games. Unfortunately, out of print, unlikely to be reprinted, and fairly expensive these days. Mentioning it here more for completeness sake.

The Speicherstadt - A lesser known Feld game, it has a very simple bidding system where you are trying to outbid each other for items strategically, but has very little "take that!" to it. Unlike ItYOtD, it is pretty easy to obtain for $30 or less if you look around BGG -- don't pay retail for it if you are considering it.

Galaxy Trucker - Mentioned previously, but I'll echo the sentiment. It is a very fun game with a unique building mechanic, and has almost no direct player on player conflict.

Seasons - This -may- be a little conflict-y for her, but it's a very entertaining game and only has a few cards in the base set that can cause conflict, and it is very easily played without those cards if she is super conflict averse.

And not yet mentioned I don't believe, but classic worker placement games that involve blocking for actions, but not actual conflict in which you interfere with built engines by taking away resources or abilities, are the Uwe Rosenberg games. Agricola* and Le Havre*, although bear in mind that Agricola has been more or less re-implemented by Caverna: The Cave Farmers, which I have not played myself so cannot comment on way or another other than to say it is exceptionally popular/highly regarded.

Hope this gives you some ideas to work with.

Another recommendation that I make to everyone who is trying to find out if their SOs would like a game is to take them for a test drive on one of the on-line sites. If she can conceptualize the game enough to play it online (my wife really likes to have the bits in front of her to play the game physically at least once before she tries to do an online version, but I myself have learned tons of games via online implementations), you can save yourself a lot of time and money by checking out these games first. You can hit up either http://www.brettspielwelt.de/, yucata.de, or http://en.boardgamearena.com/. BSW is live using Java implementations, Yucata is asynch turn-based, and BGA has both. They have tremendous libraries on each of these sites. Of the games that I listed above, the following have implementations at one or more of these sites:

San Juan - BSW
Saint Petersburg - BSW
In The Year of the Dragon - Yucata
The Speicherstadt - Yucata
Seasons - BGA

And tons of other people's recs are no doubt present there as well.

Good luck, and congrats on finding someone who shares this hobby with you. For a lot of us, that is rare, so cherish it.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Bouvier
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People, so grateful here--thanks for all your wonderful advice and for your reminder to cherish what I have in a semi-gaming partner!

So far, co-ops have been a little hit and miss:

She didn't particularly enjoy Pandemic, but that may be because we played with some experienced players who basically quarterbacked the whole time!

We own Forbidden Island, but it has always felt a little too simple/easy (even after learning that we'd been playing incorrectly for ages by not removing the cards that went with flooded tiles!).

Hanabi is fun, but less so with 2, somehow.

For whatever reason, Robinson Crusoe has been a non-starter. It is (or at least appears to be) too fiddly/complex, I think (and I'm not even sure that I've managed to play it a single time without a minor rules violation or two myself!).

Freedom: The Underground Railroad appeals to me for its theme/story/complexity, but I don't know enough about it to be sure. I'll check out some videos and give it some thought--thanks!

Other suggestions:

I think I'd rather get the Castles of Mad King Ludwig than Suburbia, since it just looks more fun/funny (and since I have Suburbia on iOS and have already enjoyed the heck out of it).

Fresco I own, but we've yet to play it with the included expansions. I'll be bringing it with me when we visit the family, so that should be rectified shortly!

San Juan doesn't appeal to me much because I already love RFTG, so that scratch is itched by Keldon/friends who don't mind the theme/icons.

Ascension is out because I'd rather just play Dominion (I don't like the art in Ascension, for one).

Alhambra might be worth checking out--the in-laws would probably dig it, too.

That's two recs for In the Year of a Dragon, which was already on my radar. I'll have to keep an eye out.

And lastly, thanks for the word of caution, pftctsqr, but I think (from the vids I've seen) that Lewis and Clarke is visually intuitive enough (the race, the spatial cues around the size of the canoes, etc.) to get us over the initial learning hurdle.

Anyway, again, such a wonderful community here. Thanks so much for the suggestions! Happy gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.