Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Mesnar
United States
Valencia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have Once Upon a Time and love it, and this game looks very interesting, but I was wondering if they are the same?

Thanks,

Aaron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Mez2112 wrote:
I have Once Upon a Time and love it, and this game looks very interesting, but I was wondering if they are the same?

Thanks,

Aaron

They both involve telling stories, but that is where the similarity ends. If you haven't read my review, I recommend you do (but I would, wouldn't I?). Reading that should give you a good idea of how the game plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Mesnar
United States
Valencia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Great thanks!!! Link to review?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mez2112 wrote:

My review is here on the Geek under the reviews section, but if you want to see it with pics you can find it on my blog at:

http://alwaysboardneverboring.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/winter-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
Mez2112 wrote:

My review is here on the Geek under the reviews section, but if you want to see it with pics you can find it on my blog at:

Great review! It also seems to have some similarities to Gloom (having never played both)? For one thing, target audience who has to be in the mood to do kind of imaginative/improvisational storytelling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
Mez2112 wrote:

Great review! It also seems to have some similarities to Gloom (having never played both)? For one thing, target audience who has to be in the mood to do kind of imaginative/improvisational storytelling.

Thanks.

I own Cthulhu Gloom. They are quite different to me, mainly because Winter Tales is driven by the story, whereas Gloom has an optional storytelling element. In other words, you can play Gloom as a straight-up "screw you" card game, although I fail to see why anyone would want to.

In Winter Tales, the story is integral to everything. In Gloom, it is more like a varnish you can apply, and I feel there is less need to come up with a compelling narrative.

Also, Gloom is just a card game whereas Winter Tales has a spatial element because of the board.

I like Gloom, but I love Winter Tales.

(I reviewed Cthulhu Gloom as well, if you're interested. Sorry, starting to sound like a shameless self-promoter. Oh wait, I am.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.